This model uses 2 pieces of square paper.
1) Fold a preliminary base with the first piece of paper.
2) (Enlarged) Fold sides to center and unfold. Repeat behind.
3) Reverse fold. Repeat behind.
4) Fold bottom point up to top point and unfold. Repeat behind.
5) Fold bottom point up as far as it will go. Repeat behind.
6) Fold point to center.
7) Enlarging top of model.
8) Fold top point down to where crease from step 4 meets the edge.
9) Fold flap in half.
10) Unfold. Repeat steps 8 to 10 on the left.
11) Valley fold and mountain fold as shown. The dotted lines represent valley folds on the hidden layer. This will result in a triangular flap, which should be folded to the left.
12) Like so. Fold triangular flap to the right.
13) Like so. Repeat steps 8 to 13 on the back.
14) It should look like this.
15) Full view. Fold top flap down. Repeat behind.
16) Fold one layer to the right in front, and one layer to the left behind.
17) Fold flap up. Repeat behind.
18) Fold the sides in, using existing crease as a guide. Repeat behind.
19) Fold flap down as far as it will go. Repeat behind.
20) Fold one layer to the right in front, and one layer to the left behind.
21) Fold front flap up as far as it will go. Repeat behind.
22) Fold one layer to the right in front, and one layer to the left behind. Turn model upside down.
23) The finished bottom section.
24) Repeat steps 1-3 on a new piece of paper, then fold the front flap up as far as it will go. Repeat behind.
25) Fold the center parts out to the edge while folding the top point down.
26) Turn model over.
27) Fold the two bottom points out to the side (there are no guides for these folds).
28) Insert the top points of the bottom section into the pocket indicated by the arrow, and turn model over.
29) Fold a little bit in on the top layer of each side, and inside reverse fold the arms as shown.
30) Fold the triangular flap down. Inside reverse fold the tips of the arms.
31) Do a sort of rabbit-ear fold on the triangular flap, but only on the top layer. This will create the eyes, and will spread the tip a bit to create the nose. Fold the top layer of the hands upward, and fold the tip of the beard underneath.
32) Fold the tip of the hands behind, and add some pleats to the beard for texture.
33) The finished gnome.
Back to Diagrams