Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Bright red haze means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits (or, if no medikits, weapon slot 9) to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload. Hold to keep the mag.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slydir
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
What the hell is wrong with this mod? it's completely unplayable lol what were you thinking? --Lycaon
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
June 20, 2016:
- Bugfix: Weapon "nope" state still fell to ready if you were holding fire or altfire.
- Bugfix: Not-dropped pistol pickup had empty mag.
- Bugfix: The newer GZDoom aborts on a lot of errors it previously tolerated. I've fixed them only to the extent of removing the error, but I have not tested to ensure that all of them actually have the same prior functionality. It probably just fixes things that I thought were doomed to never work anyway though (sounds playing on wrong channels, etc.).
- Bugfix: Forgot to replace a few state names with the ZM66 pickups.
- Bugfix: Liberator grenade/rifle only reset on deselect, meaning that if you dropped a Lib-GL, sprinted, picked it back up and immediately hit fire, you'd fire grenade not rifle. Should be rifle.
- Bugfix: On newer versions of (G)ZDoom the way I had set up the zoom actor led to the player sprite getting in the way. Now you aim just a little bit in front of the playerpawn, which is also +forceybillboard.
- Bugfix: Stray multi-A_Lower anon function in Boss rifle.
- Bugfix: Liberator reload misidentified an actor when checking reloadability.
- Bugfix: Had to add one more health>0 check to the med-use script.
- Bugfix: Mantling/vertical jumping was the default even if you were hitting sidestep. Now it checks for no lateral movement input first.
- Shotguns can abort reload and unload of all types by holding fire or altfire. You will not shoot as a result of such holding.
- Some tweaks to the plasma scorcher that might potentially mitigate the situations where the Thunder Buster leaves a fire burning in the middle of the sky.
- Second pistol is back! Hit alt reload (or altfire, if you're not in a position where the pistol can or ought to be chambered manually) to switch pistols. Only the Contractor starts with two pistols, though you might also see it as an Insurgent.
- You can now drop weapons using the regular (weap)drop command! The hd_drop alias is now deprecated and now automatically points to weapdrop.
- Fist now has top priority.
- Added more shots coming out of the Thunder Buster alternate attack.
- Zerk use now instantly heals you random(15,20).
June 13, 2016:
- Bugfix:Liberator, pistol and dropped SMG pickups missing chambered rounds.
- Bugfix: Shotgun wasn't transferring chamber on drop and pickup, and pickups were missing chambered rounds.
- Bugfix: stray TNT1A0s in Lib-GL altfire.
- Bugfix: consolidator ignored blooper, and filled rocket launcher with standard rockets even when a HEAT was loaded.
- Bugfix: berserk did nothing to mitigate fatigue while you were at full health.
- Bugfix: some leftover references to the second pistol and dud rocket that was not the ammo.
- Updated grossly obsolete manual information for the chainsaw.
- Greatly reduced Vulcanette droop effect, especially while on zerk.
- Reintroduced powerless manual operation. It sucks.
- Weapon busy status now only reduces speed slightly instead of taking you all the way down to a walk. Note that this might potentially make you slower in some situations.
- Added +skyexplode onto the movement sensor projectiles.
- Using the new source/inflictor params for A_Damage* for:
- Bullet critical hits: there should generally be no difference.
- Frag grenades: slightly less lag.
- Bots: if a bot-replace monster is killed, the obit will correctly reflect the cause.
- Setting things on fire: spots hit with Thunder Buster will also catch fire.
- Toned down the Thunder Buster's power a bit.
- Added +nodamagethrust to a bunch of explosives. They can still launch someone a(n un)fair distance though.
- When you chain the Thunder Buster, the wall where the explosion landed catches fire.
- Shotgun, RL and Boss mag reload can be interrupted with fire key. Fuck side saddles.
- Interrupting a re/unload sequence by holding fire will not lead you to shoot the weapon. Relatedly, holding fire during these re/unload sequences, even if not to abort them, will not result in the weapon firing. This is not consistent with the Slayer behaviour simply due to that weapon's peculiar requirements.
- Added a (short) countdown timer when healer imps heal to space out the healings.
- Fixed some of that mantling. You can now mash/hold the spacebar to "hover" on a ledge, provided you are not already falling too fast, and climbing onto stuff just a bit higher than your head is much easier. You also do not need to be pressing forward to climb ledges. Your ability to climb higher things will be unsteady and weak when you are severely encumbered.
May 30, 2016:
- Bugfix: The "lose one round to jailbreak the mag" thing didn't apply to the Vulcanette.
- Bugfix: Swapping to the next Vulc mag gave you battery power instead of draining it.
- Bugfix: Infinite ammo cheat didn't work when reloading a full mag into the Vulc.
- Bugfix: Totally forgot to update the Vulc pickup.
- Bugfix: There was no mechanism for chambering a pistol round without reloading the mag. Now fire or altfire can do this.
- Bugfix: Some leftover references to obsolete, deleted actors.
- Bugfix: Some inconsistencies in Vulc power usage that had no effect as they were referring to the old actor name.
- Bugfix: Manual Liberator chambering on empty mag was giving unlimited rounds again.
- Bugfix: Switching to and from crouch should have caused fatigue and reset your turning threshold.
- Bugfix: Forgot to reinstate the Vulcanette's old downward drift when unsupported.
- Bugfix: It did not make any sense for the spent mags and the broken/wasted rounds to be ejected from the same side of the Vulcanette.
- Bugfix: HDSMGLoaded should have a max of 30, not 31, the 1 now being HDSMGChamber.
- Bugfix: More ghosts of StoredDERP.
- Bugfix: Pain throbbing timing was off, making your view drift towards the sky while moving.
- Bugfix: Had an int array declared as a str array for years and never noticed.
- Bugfix: ZM66 airburst selector could only go up once per mouse press.
- Bugfix: No replacements ever spawned HEAT rockets. Now up to 3 of them may be found next to a rocket box.
- Some general updates and tweaks to the chaingun guy. He's a lot more likely to shoot in full-speed bursts now.
- Toned down horizontal leaps and reduced bonus from berserk.
- Increased Vulcanette movement inertia.
- Added a short delay in raising larger weapons even from sprint and leap.
- Added a little more weapon inertia: now when you sidestep, your weapon drags a little behind you, and when you stop it stops just a little later than you. Similar lag when you crouch and stand up. Barely noticeable with pistol, very noticeable with Vulcanette.
- Vulcanette trigger behaviour made more user-friendly. Now the mag will cycle while you're firing the already-chambered rounds, greatly reducing the gap between shots. However, this is only available with the RPM cap; at full speed, there will still be a short delay although you will not need to let go of the trigger. Jailbreaking a mag breaks the Vulcanette's ability to discern when the mag ought to be cycled.
- You are now limited to walk while reloading or otherwise fiddling with your weapons.
- Restored "was sprinting" state, but only if for extended forward sprints.
- Reduced the randomness of the additional run-and-gun Vulcanette recoil.
- Chainsaw and Thunder Buster battery indicators match the Vulcanette's.
- Chainsaw no longer has a manual on/off switch. It takes a moment to speed up, and has a bit of a lame-duck period towards the end of its battery life. Beatdown is altfire only unless cell is empty or unloaded.
- Randomized and augmented the pain throb. Now you no longer know exactly how many hitpoints you have when you shift from one degree to the next.
- Airburst control for all grenade and rocket launchers updated to use the same interface as the Boss zoom and MOA adjust.
- ZM66 and Liberator now also have adjustable zooms, between 3 and 2 degrees. Default is 3 degrees - frankly I've found the 2-degree a bit useless most of the time so let me know if this default should be kept.
- Streamlined ZM66 and Liberator pickup code with countinv. Let me know if there are any glitches.
May 24, 2016:
- Bugfix: Forgot to update zoom flag actor name for non-GL ZM66.
- Bugfix: Forgot a "-" on one of the ZM66 offsets.
- Bugfix: ZM66 mag load did not check for infinite ammo cheat.
- Bugfix: Liberator mag drop drained the gun.
- Bugfix: ZM66 pickups and consolidation script did not include chamber.
- Bugfix: At no point did the DERP actually check if the target was dead.
- Bugfix: Jump error meant hd_nobleedcheat only turned on the cheat, never turned it off.
- Bugfix: Restored legal notice for unauthorized ZM66 magazine reuse.
- Bugfix: Forgot to make sure ZM66 chambered round was being transferred to and from dropped weapons.
- Bugfix: SSG double-flash was using the shotgun flash sprite.
- Bugfix: SMG report attenuation and volume were inconsistent between player, SMG zombie and SMG marine.
- Loading a partial mag into the ZM66 now breaks the ammo counter display.
- Fire no longer sets your weapon busy. Jump is now directly contingent on your not holding any weapon button down.
- Fatigue now resets when you change levels.
- Liberator now updated under the new unified unload/reload.
- Unloading the ZM66 while it has no mag in it will unload the chamber.
- Updated pistol and SMG to new paradigm as well.
- Revised some outdated things in the manual.
- You now lose one round as part of the mag jailbreaking process.
- Total overhaul of the Vulcanette! It actually behaves like a rotary barrel machine gun now! The biggest difference on the user end is that you'll have to let go of the fire button to cycle mags, and that zoom now turns the gun on and off with altfire toggling RPM cap. Oh, and chaingun guys no longer have an obvious aural cue telegraphing their attacks. Good luck!
- Thunder Buster also now has unified un/reload and hold-to-pocket. I intend to leave the BFG as it is just to emphasize how huge and unwieldy it is.
- Also allowing pocketing for unloading the rocket launcher. Pocketing unloads from the Vulcanette and rocket launcher is different from the single-mags since your typical reload is rarely if ever pulling out one ammo unit and replacing it with another one. By holding unload, you will pocket one mag/rocket but will end the sequence; by tapping unload, you will quickly strip the weapon of its ammo.
- Rocket alt reload can no longer be held down to continuously load and unload a HEAT round.
- Shotgun also updated so that its ammo bar only shows what's in the mag not in the chamber.
- Pistol rounds now only alert monsters up to 860 DUs away (just a little less than the maximum distance the player can usually hear the report of a zombie SMG).
- SMG zeds now occasionally, rarely, throw grenades when they're out of ammo.
May 16, 2016:
- Bugfix: It was possible to time your attack so that you could leap during the firing animation. Addressed through having all weapon buttons invoke the "WeaponBusy" inventory flag.
- Bugfix: Restricting mantling to only when the player was standing on solid ground was never necessary, considering the upper body strength implied for the doomguy. Removed the restriction.
- Bugfix: Chainsaw beatings still used old pitch ranges to check if a strike was possible.
- Bugfix: Reloading the SMG from empty would produce both an empty mag and an empty "full" mag.
- Walking straight forwards is now faster than walking to the side or diagonally.
- Massive overhaul to the ZM66! First weapon where the unload and reload are (hopefully) consistent with each other and hold-to-keep-old-mag (hopefully) always works!
- Also added: jailbreaking used ZM66 mags! This will greatly increase the chances of a jam.
- Boss rifle now lets you select zoom level! Hold down the zoom key, then tap fire and altfire to increase and decrease zoom. There are only 3 possible settings due to ACS limitations.
- Increased HERP mass to 400.
- Muzzle flashes now vary in frequency depending on barrel length, power and sector light. Brontornis always flashes, while the SMG might flash once every mag.
May 9, 2016:
- Bugfix: Distant rifle sound spawner for 7mm was not being spawned when the shooter was not a player.
- Bugfix: Misnamed spawn state in dropped SMG.
- Bugfix: "Vile count" was constantly being reset when bigger monsters were being raised.
- Bugfix: I don't know why I had the SMG set to force-skip the check to see if you were holding or tapping the reload key so that it always pockets instead of dropping, but the skip is gone. (Note that unload still always drops.)
- Bugfix: manual Liberator chambering did not deplete the round from the mag.
- Bugfix: I don't know what I was thinking, but the revenant ball's aimpoint was the top of its target plus its own height. Now it's minus its own height.
- Bugfix: Obsolete DERP pickup actor still in one of the random spawners.
- Bugfix: Archvile radius damage immunity also implied immunity to all grenade damage. They are no longer immune.
- Bugfix: Separate corpse spawn meant your death view was occluded by your own corpse sprite. Now the corpse spawns 1 unit behind you - not entirely failsafe, but better than nothing.
- Bugfix: It turned out to be a misnumbered A_Jump in the 7mm bullet code (originally never intended for monsters) that was preventing the spider mastermind from aiming vertically! Spider mastermind hilarious incompetence is no longer canon explanation for lack of close-range capability.
- Lowered spider mastermind shot origin just a little bit. Does not solve the problem.
- Added a flyby fwoosh for the rockets.
- Changed the turning movement adjustment to use SetActorVelocity instead of relying on a DECORATE actionitem.
- Reduced revenant ball deceleration, making it much less accurate.
- Armour now greatly mitigates critical hits. Note that marine monsters are always assumed to be armoured.
- Redid the run/walk. Now walking only caps your speed - if your other modifiers do not reduce your run to walking speeds, then your walk is unaffected, but if your modifiers take you below that, there is no functional difference.
- Added a failsafe so that you can't permanently lock the IoS in its final long boss speech.
- Pistols dropped by monsters now have random ammo.
- Toned down the zerk movement a bit. Still inhumanly nuts, but we're talking about a drug that lets you punch a guy into pieces with your fist here.
- Bullet penetration restored for deathmatch only.
- Reduced base damage of all bullets to offset the crits.
- Replaced some textures in the firing range for D1 compatibility.
- Bots now have a random chance of consolidating ammo at an average of once every 1 second, instead of consolidating continuously (giving them reloadless automatic shotguns in the process).
- Don't know where else to mention it, but here's a good deathmatch wad for HD.
- Reduced Thunder Buster zap sound to 4 at a time, now that I've heard what it sounds like from the receiving end.
May 1, 2016:
- Bugfix: Missed adding one of the offset changes in Abba Zabba's TEXTURES fix.
- Bugfix: Mugshots are back in!
April 24, 2016:
- Bugfix: Forgot to remove a debug A_LogInt from the marine.
- Bugfix: Restored the vulcanette "droop" effect, which seemed to have stopped working sometime around the time the doublefloats were introduced???
- Bugfix: Transition to user buttons did not carry over the imposition of the weapon busy flag.
- Bugfix: Armour pickups misnamed "weapons/pocket" as "misc/pocket".
- Rockets spawn from the middle again like everything else. There was a theoretical possibility that you could be aiming down at a steep angle at a target far below you, while the ceiling where you're standing is just above your head, and the rocket could spawn inside that ceiling and thereby explode.
- Replaced loops with anon functions and countinv for tracking fine-grained cell power when picking up and dropping the Vulcanette, Thunder Buster, Lumberjack and lite amp.
- Added sight check to MegaBloodSplatter. "Kill monsters" no longer freezes your game for a minute while processing all the unseen blood chunks.
- All leaps buffed because they seem to have become much weaker for no discernible reason. The jumps on Map15 are still a bit tricker than they used to be, but no longer impossible.
- The "great leap forward" (sorry) now only happens while you have the sprint key down.
- Overhauled all DoomEdNums. All of them. See the dcspawns.txt lump for any numbers you require. Let me know if this breaks any published maps and I will see if I can revert the affected numbers. Apologies for the drastic measures, but the status quo was completely unmaintainable.
- To get rid of some logical problems and spaghetti, the zoom/cannibalize function in the pistol and SMG has been simplified: now it simply takes one mag of the "wrong" kind and dumps it into the general loose ammo pool. You'll have to wait for it to passively convert afterwards.
- More hand grenade frag spawn timing tweaks. There's almost no lag on my end if I detonate one in an enclosed space (throwing one downrange is another matter). Also managed to kill myself with like 3-4 hits from fragments while testing the former, which for a green-armoured player seems about right.
- Added Abba Zabba's offset tweaks to the empty 9mm mags.
April 17, 2016:
- Bugfix (most likely incomplete and ongoing): I learned recently that, if I do not specify a spawn state, all actors default to remaining in play forever and not disappearing immediately. This explains some of the mysterious "You found a pickup" messages that sometimes happen. I'm going to manually edit a bunch of actors that should never spawn.
- Bugfix: The damage code for the grenade fragments had been commented out during debug and not uncommented out until now.
- Bugfix: Medikits and berserk packs carrying multiple units did not leave remaining units behind if you could not take all units.
- Bugfix: ZM66 no-GL was cooling too fast on deselect due to a misplaced goto.
- Bugfix: The non-selected-weapon-heat-remover ACS was not only doing exactly the opposite of what I wanted, it also skipped over the ZM66-GL.
- Bugfix: Reload-tube-from-pocket function always aborted after loading only one shell.
- Some more downsizing of the smoke and flame and a few other effects.
- Commented out player.face in the player pawn since we can't use mugshots anyway so we might as well get rid of that error message. :( Removed FemDoom mugshot sprites from the pk7 file since they're not being used.
- Simplified the ZM66 and Liberator GL rifles. Now reload always reloads the rifle and alt reload always reloads the grenade, no switching.
- Beefed up revenant tracer damage and changed its behaviour slightly. It now wanders aimlessly when not in LOS with the target.
- Corpses are now flagged as +alwaystelefrag.
- Fragments now shoot more horizontally and upwards. They also all spawn at the same tic again for hand grenades since the performance boost from spreading them out is no longer what it was.
- Streamlined player spawn state with anonymous functions.
- Added new custom key in the menu for specifically bringing up bandage.
- Changed weapon select states to rely on a common inherited state that does a bunch of resets automatically.
- Rewrote a few obituaries to avoid pronouns.
- Changed alt reload, fire mode and unload to user1, user2 and user4 respectively. (I'm trying to keep user3 open for something just in case.) You do not need to change any of your bindings if you've already bound them to the old aliases which now simply point to the user buttons.
- Greatly reduced the number of fragments spawned from any kind of grenade, but also quadrupled the damage of each one. Reduced GL/RL direct impact damage and increased rocket recoil effect to balance this out, as well as reducing the explosion damage from the hand grenade.
- Rockets spawn just a little further back than most projectiles.
- You can now adjust the bullet drop compensation on the Boss! Hold fire mode, then use the fire and altfire buttons (unload the gun, pull the bolt and keep it pointed downrange!) to bring the number up and down. Zero means no adjustment and your shot will start parallel with your view. The best numbers are 7 for up to 100m, 11 for 200m, and 30 for 300m (default).
- Marines now bleed less stupidly and more gradually but earlier.
April 4, 2016:
- Bullet critical is now reduced depending on the velocity of the bullet.
- Buckshot critical is further reduced by 1/3. This brings you back up to three SSG shots to kill a caco, versus just two from the last update.
March 28, 2016:
- Bugfix: Debug logging left in bullet actor. Also made the target area a bit smaller - it is now closer to the area between the eyes and the heart.
- Bugfix: HD9mSmag should be inheriting from H9mPmag.
- Changed Thunder Buster cell usage and probability on both modes using countinv to make the progression more natural and gradual.
- Hit angle is now relevant for HEATs, rocquettes and Bronto shots.
- Greatly increased accuracy penalty while moving (generally when you can't get crosshairs).
- Pistol now loses aiming much sooner when you start moving.
- Significant cutbacks to the cyberdemon's rocket explosion effects.
- Simplified spiderdemon's attack code with anonymous function and reduced its firing rate to 1/4. It also shoots full size rifle rounds now.
- Removed the "rifle2" sound which is just 2 ZM66 shots in one tic.
March 21, 2016:
- Bugfix: Empty ZM66 unload mag wasn't dropping the alternate empty bouncy actor and disappearing.
- Bugfix: spawn error in pistol replacement.
- Bugfix: Portable light amp pickup spawned with no power.
- Bugfix: HEAT ammo had no encumbrance value.
- Bugfix: Thunder Buster unload checked for spare ammo due to copypaste error from reload.
- Bugfix: Missing Thunder Buster HUD sprite.
- Bugfix: Blooper HUD sprite was too high.
- Bugfix: Chaingunguy would always turn a sharp angle away from you after ceasing to watch for your emergence. As a side effect, their reaction times are much, much faster now when they're covering.
- Now you can hit Reload or Unload while the ZM66 is cooking off to stop it.
- Removed the second pistol feature. Unmaintainable.
- HDPistolPickup and HDSMGPickup no longer uselessly, confusingly inherit from HD9mPmag.
- When a map RL or SSG is replaced with a Blooper, 6 rocket ammo also appear.
- Removed encumbrance check for small pickups, to be consistent with the lack of check for big ones.
- You now "smart scavenge" detachable mags on pickup.
- Blanking out mugshots until this GZDoom bug is fixed.
- Added (crude) idle sound to spinning vulcanette.
- Head/upper central column damage bonus added! Only works for bullets hitting the side of the hitbox (rather than hitting the top or bottom).
March 14, 2016 hotfix:
- Bugfix: New GZDoom versions now require the Thunder Buster puff to last 4 tics (was 3) to be usable at less than ~60% battery power.
- Bugfix: "BossHand" actor was ammo so cheating would mean you got a fistful of extra rounds that would be dropped once you swapped out of the Boss.
- Bugfix: On at least the ZM66 your crosshair would remain while you were reloading. The weapon-ready item is now taken through ACS and the inventory fake buttons.
- Bugfix: Side saddle reloading didn't check to see if there was any ammo left to load.
- Some general updates to the smoke actors. Didn't optimize anything, really.
March 14, 2016:
- Bugfix: Removal of WeaponBusy actor did not affect all weapons. Weapons now share a common ReadyEnd state for this purpose.
- Bugfix: ZM66 failed unload attempt inherited a TNT1A0.
- Bugfix: Sorry, guys, midair jumping in a mod like this does, in fact, count as a bug. Confirmed that GetActorFloorZ works just fine on 3D floors and reverted that check accordingly. Also added some nominal fatigue to vertical jumping.
- Bugfix: Rocquette point blank shot exploded but left no scorch.
- Bugfix: "New York reload" would drop a fully loaded pistol.
- Bugfix: Hunter alternate reload would abort after only one shell loaded.
- Bugfix: ZM66-GL would get stuck if you hit alt reload while it was fully loaded.
- Bugfix: Stray "Interrupted" state in RL.
- Bugfix: You always converted all your brass into Liberator rounds, instead of it being capped by your available 4mm powder.
- Bugfix: Stair slowdown could be triggered by crawling under something, as the antenna was too high and actually checked things above a crouched player.
- Bugfix: Frag grenade pickup did not reset correctly as the new usable pickup, thus spawning extra grenades every failed pickup attempt.
- Bugfix: Finally got around to letting non-selected guns cool off. Been avoiding it since it requires a special case in the ACS loop just to deal with each weapon and nothing else, but at this point it's a drop in the ocean.
- Bugfix: Map pickup checked for itself when it wasn't really an inventory item anymore. Now you can download the local area map over and over and over again and spam the console and grief everyone, but presumably you will be fragged and asked to leave the game soon enough.
- Bugfix: Boss scope wasn't actually on target. It should be more or less dead centre (subject to some collision issues beyond my control that add to a bit of irregularity) hitting the back wall of the range while the gun is propped on the sandbag-like thing.
- Redid the entire BFG pre-shot charge sequence using the new anonymous functions! I have no idea why the sound is totally different... anyway, yes you can switch weapons and jump without manually disabling the passive charge now. (Protip: If you keep the fire button down as the charge maxes out, you go straight to shooting and don't have to "warm up" the gun.)
- If you hit reload to abort reloading and fail to let go, you won't start reloading again.
- You now passively continue loading the Boss rifle in a similar manner to the shotgun, vulcanette and RL, provided that you have loose 7mm rounds.
- Unloading Boss, Vulcanette, shotgun side saddles, Hunter tube and RL now passively continue unless you hold or mash the unload key to abort.
- Mantling now affected by fatigue and stun.
- Gun barrels no longer trigger shootable linedefs.
- Changed the actor names HDAltReload and HDFireMode to PressingAltReload and PressingFireMode to be consistent with the other keypress inventory flags.
- Shotgun side saddle reloads are now also hit/hold-reload-to-abort.
- Redid reload/altreload button priorities for ZM66 and Liberator. Now Reload = load selected type, abort if selected type not reloadable; Altreload = load non-selected type, abort if non-selected type not available. You don't "just" try to reload whatever is available anymore.
- Got rid of CLOFF_JUMP_ON_MISS for monster and robot targeting, as the new GZDoom SVNs appear make that check much stricter than it ought to be.
March 7, 2016:
- Forgot to mention: Bugfix: Had to add a one-tic first spawn frame to all usable items or they would not drop correctly using the native drop command.
- Bugfix: Forgot to add the new switch-on-new to the pistol.
- Bugfix: "It" pronoun mislabeled as "nonbinary". The player setup menu just lists pronouns directly now.
- Bugfix: LiberatorRifle actor was replaced with something, preventing it from being accessed using a weaponslot.
- Bugfix: DropSSG actor didn't inherit from DropWeapon like all decent Drop* action items did.
- Bugfix: Forgot to update SBARINFO to reflect the new ZM66 sprite names.
- Bugfix: Imp still reverted to TROO at some points due to a few jumps to the original spawn state.
- Bugfix: Tops of crates on range used the same texture as the dirt. Cleaned it off but still a bit worn.
- Bugfix: Dropping useless Liberator mags did not count rounds correctly.
- Bugfix: Radiation suit pickup had wrong scale copypasted into its definition.
- Bugfix: Side saddle reload didn't check for when your side saddles had less than 3 open slots.
- Yes, there was still one A_BFGSpray. Now it's moved to the very start of the ball's life - not using the HD explosive puff.
- Reduced the slide-lock click sound on the pistol so it didn't sound like the gun report itself was being cut off. (It was never cut off, it just sounded like it)
- *ERPs no longer get replaced with pickup actors when killed.
- Changed one of the tables on the range to be a 3D floor.
- Changed the jumping/mantling system so that it can work with 3D floors.
- Cheats are now allowed for nightmare and grimdark.
- Added +noblockmonst to *ERPs and ghost squad.
- Range is now accessible as its own episode.
- You no longer automatically drop a weapon when you attempt to pick up another of the same type.
- You can no longer jump unless your weapon is "ready."
- Minor under-the-hood change with potentially major ramifications: Removed the "Reloading" inventory flag, the use of which was too grossly inconsistent. Let me know if there are any unusual bugs.
- Shotgun, vulcanette and RL reloading now interrupted with reload rather than fire.
- Vulcanette sprite no longer shows a bullpup. It made no sense in the third dimension.
- Invulnerability lasts 90 seconds.
- Archangels no longer heal en masse, but need only raise something once.
- Archviles mass heal reduced to only one call per use. (was 3)
February 29, 2016:
- Bugfix: Injected stim gave 12 points because I misread which line did what in the ACS. Now it gives 30.
- Bugfix: Unloading SMG chamber didn't actually deplete it.
- Bugfix: Unloading the vulcanette with less than 6 mags would always place a full mag into your inventory first, without removing any rounds from the gun.
- Bugfix: Loop responsible for saving spare ZM66 ammo didn't actually have a line giving the ammo item.
- Bugfix: Blue potion had loop where it should have been stop.
- Bugfix: No SXF_ABSOLUTEMOMENTUM on *ERPs dropped with the native drop command.
- Bugfix: Certain dropped pistol and SMG actors had misdefined spawn states not in conformity with the usuak HDUPK-based format.
- Bugfix: BFG crash is fixed! It appears to be the result of holding altfire when firing and the continuing to hold altfire until the A_Refire calls at the very end of the BFG shot sequence. Refire is merely cleared at that point instead.
- Bugfix: Initial BFG spray was not skipped in deathmatch. It's still not skipped, but now it's on purpose.
- Bugfix: Invulnerability spheres just gave blue supercharge.
- Bugfix: Initial BFG spray from the ball was causing the shooter to be harmed whenever a player corpse was nearby. I've just gotten rid of the BFG spray altogether.
- Bugfix: Titular character did not spawn with proper BFG charge.
- Bugfix???: DERP? was spawning extra mags???? Tried fixing something else (the spawn sequence was miscoded) and somehow fixed this??????
- Bugfix: Skull keys and maps had the wrong check (self instead of target) for pickup.
- Bugfix: Shellbox sprite still had yellow casing.
- Bugfix: Bad pickup spawn setups for dropped shotguns and dropped SMG.
- Bugfix: Dropped, cooking-off ZM66 was shooting backwards because the player firing code did not map well onto a non-player object.
- Bugfix: Dropped ZM66 grenade rifle was using the wrong sprite.
- Bugfix: Fist altfire would launch you forward so abruptly while berserk that you would hurt yourself. Toned it down a bit and split the acceleration over two tics.
- Bugfix: Forgot to add a way to unload the Liberator chamber.
- Bugfix: All ZM66 pickups gave you the GL-mounted version.
- Bugfix: "Dropped" BFG pickup gave plasma rifle.
- Fugly is now ugly in the manual too.
- Bonus spheres are additive render again.
- Updated menu to describe weapon drop key correctly.
- Broken ammo box drops now include empty cell packs.
- Made unloading side saddles much faster than reloading them, to match what happens when they are actually being used.
- BFG no longer behaves differently in deathmatch. Also, players are no longer immune to BFG rail damage (though BFG no longer foils invulnerability).
- You can now reload both grenade and mag on the ZM66 and Liberator without switching weapon modes, provided you have enough ammo.
- More new sprites from hemo! You can now see which way a dropped, off-cooking ZM66 is pointing.
- Drop weapon code now always forces you to switch to fist.
- "dccannon.txt" now "dcbronto.txt".
- Now when you use a weapon on the ground, you will always pick it up - if you have the same weapon already you will drop your old one.
February 22, 2016:
- Bugfix: Roboticist now explicitly has HDSecondPistol as well as HDSecondPistolLoaded.
- Bugfix: Forgot to add a few +nodamage flags to some custom decorations.
- Bugfix: Adjusted the SMG trooper translation to get rid of a few grey pixels.
- Bugfix: Added +ismonster flag to enemy *ERP spawners.
- Bugfix: Infiltrator had no power in goggles
(they did nothing).
- Bugfix: BFG deathmatch test didn't test for some things, and both spawn2 states looped back to the non-DM spawn2.
- Bugfix: Gibbed healer imp corpse would always re-gib after being ungibbed.
- Bugfix: The use of zerk in the co-op med injector also implied the same side effects as zerk. Your buddies now no longer lace their medications with illicit stimulants. I've tweaked the coop med numbers a bit as well.
- Wall chunks now flip back and forth while in the air. The effect is barely noticeable.
- New pickup system! "Use" a mag or gun like a switch to pick it up. Dropping the weapon will only drop the weapon and not ammo which you'll need the drop-ammo key for (and dropping the pistol drops your loaded spare first if any). Shell and rocket boxes stick around until emptied, rather than dumping everything out at once. Each gun keeps track of the ammo loaded into it. Loose ammo is picked up the old-fashioned way because I don't want to wear out your Use key.
- BFG targeter now starts off at a random angle. Probably no noticeable difference.
- If you are carrying a *ERP robot and attempt to pick up another of the same type, you will simply disable it.
- Walk now restores sights faster.
- Switched the IED and BFG tests to use A_JumpIf(CallACS()).
- Renamed "Fugly" to just plain "Ugly".
- Shotgun side saddles must now be loaded manually. Just hit Reload while the gun itself is full.
- *ERPs are now usable in deathmatch.
- IEDs are no longer indiscriminate against all players in deathmatch.
January 25, 2015:
- Bugfix: Mage imps shot at the right time would leave a gravity-defying corpse. They now drop.
- Bugfix: Drop-extra sequence skipped over SMG mags.
- Bugfix: BFG pickup sequence wasn't updated to include a loaded cell.
- Bugfix: Lite amp would be charged to max every time you picked it up.
- Bugfix: Stray PLSGC where an A should have been.
- On the topic of bugfixes...
- DERP is just a tiny bit slower on the shot, and actually has to turn to aim. This should make it roughly on a more proper challenge level from the old "look at it and die".
- Fatigue is no longer a restriction to mantling.
- Diagonal leaps now implemented.
- Revenants now lean forward into their punches. Not too much, though, since they don't actually step.
- You can now pick up robots even while you have one in your inventory! You will simply swap one out for the other. (Potentially) Good for quickly disabling enemy bots on the run.
- That shelf next to the light next to the door at the range? You can jump-climb onto that now.
- Evil eyes are now switchable but no longer shootable.
January 18, 2015:
- Bugfix: If you died while cooking off a grenade, the grenade you dropped would have a full four-second fuze. (This was originally intentional but I don't remember why.)
- Bugfix: Fire cans didn't use FCANC0.
- Bugfix: -hd_firemode was not defined properly.
- Bugfix: Semi rifle didn't check for ammo before checking for cookoff.
- Bugfix: Map-spawned dead babuins were pushable.
- Bugfix: When you had cl_run on but could not sprint, holding +speed would cause you to walk. Not really a "bug", but an indefensibly confusing inconsistency with the input. Now to get a walk speed you must turn off cl_run.
- Added a longer delay to the cyberdemon's attack. This should make it roughly on a more proper challenge level from the old "look at it and die".
- Instead of the fatigue, a skull now gives you a wound and some health.
- Green helmets now make you scary.
- Pressing jump while holding on to any direction key now makes you leap in that direction.
- You can now knock dud rockets around by shooting them as you would a frag.
- HERPs and DERPs now occasionally replace chaingun guys as enemies! Also, I have made no changes to DERP behaviour which means you now have a ridiculously overpowered enemy. Have fun!
- DERPs now make noises when they move.
- Added the shotgun guy's LOF check to the marines. Hopefully a little less friendly fire.
- Fire can sprites are now properly centered at the base of the barrel not the entire sprite.
- Changed the archvile hellfire attack. Now it takes a bit longer to spawn, and instead of a near-unavoidable wave of explosions you now get only one explosion which launches you a significant distance and potentially sets you on fire. This can, but usually will not, one-shot you at full health and standard green armour.
- BFG and Thunder Buster now use A_QuakeEx for their residual tremors.
- I've added +hd_unload and it's in the menu but please note it does not do anything yet at this time.
- The various marine-to-zombieman degenerations should no longer drop rifles.
- Marine helmet now visibly disintegrates when a gibbed marine is being raised as a zombieman.
- Some tweaks to bot-marine warping.
- Vulcanette can now be turned on while empty. Holding altfire and fire now also do not continuously dry-spin the gun uselessly.
- SMG sound now plays at 70% volume due to better suppression.
- HERP now sweeps twice as fast.
- DERP no longer has 360-degree vision and is more conservative with ammo.
- Temporary "shields" originally designed to prevent shotgun multikill cheese now only last 10-16 tics from the original 50+. Also got rid of the unused "permshield".
- Changed zombie bleedout to use missiles instead of explosives.
- Frag grenade pickup actor now spawns 6 grenades neatly sorted, rather than 5 scattered ones.
- Cyberdemon, spiderdemon and bossbrain now also use A_QuakeEx for their residual tremors.
- Now you slide the HERP out in front of you when you deploy it, more like a drop instead of plopping it down right in front of yourself out of sight.
January 11, 2015:
- Bugfix: Forgot to edit the A_DropInventory calls for the rifles now that I made weapons untossable again.
- Bugfix(?): For some reason I had the Liberator replacement spawn 20 units above where the original weapon ought to be.
- Bugfix: If you held altfire while reloading an overheated ZM66, it would not cook off until you let go, losing heat the whole time. The cookoff state is now an entirely self-contained sequence that does not jump to any of the normal shooting states until the gun is empty or jammed.
- Bugfix: There were some situations where the second pistol would be available for all purposes but would not be dropped when you would try to drop the pistol, due to the second pistol requiring tracking for 2 separate items and the drop function checking only for one.
- Bugfix: Jump error skipped loaded grenade check on ZM66.
- Supported-gun flag is now removed from ZM66 when it starts shooting while you are not pulling the trigger.
January 4, 2016:
- Bugfix: Arachnotron's close-hack shot angle was always off by 3 degrees, rather than having a 3-degree spread each way. Expect close encounters to be a little more unpleasant.
- Bugfix: Barrel actors were radius 16 which is much larger than the sprite. Reduced to 11 (as the canonical 10 is actually a tiny bit too small).
- Bugfix: Blooper loaded indicator was supposed to replace the ordinary ammo count, not add to it.
- Bugfix: Jump/goto copypaste error meant that Brontornis bolts were often not purged with hd_purge.
- Bugfix: Latent demon in BFG still present after BFG shot fired with no charge in between.
- Not all grenade fragments will puff. Their evade-warning is also shaped like a cube. Number of fragments on hand grenades reduced by 25%. And to top it all off, the fragments are now spawned spread over a 4-tic period which isn't perfect but seems to be what finally managed to solve the lag issue.
- Baron green plasma no longer tracks as aggressively, and the hellknight's symmetrical fan attack is much slower and only occurs at a much longer range.
- HERP scans in a 90-degree rather than a 180-degree fan.
- Barrels now delay exploding if another barrel has recently exploded nearby. Map23 starting hallway is now theoretically playable.
- Added similar burn-out effects on the spiderdemon and cyberdemon.
- Got rid of the (mostly completely unnoticeable) bounce effect on falling damage as it was interfering with some very fast descending lifts.
- Now when you drop a weapon that uses rocket grenades, it will not drop those grenades if you also have another weapon that uses them.
- When you hit the "drop one" key for a weapon with refillable mags, you drop any loose ammo before you start dropping mags.
- The hd_purge command now purges dead *ERP gun robots from your inventory. You can now also carry 1 dead and 1 live of each *ERP. If you have both when you exit a map, the broken one will not be repaired.
- To make up for the much longer delay between shots, the BFG now does a spray just as the ball comes out.
- Moved all ZM66 rifle shooting to the flash state plus a custominventory item.
- Now, if you hit altfire while your GL-mounted ZM66 is cooking off, you will attempt to shoot a grenade. This does not switch to "grenade mode", you shoot the thing immediately.
- Something I'm not changing: non-ZM66 zombies will still drop weapons when they die after having been raised. The only reason I made it that way for the rifle zombies was because many ZM66s spawn empty and can never be picked up - if I did something similar for the shotgun you'd just see the place littered with shells instead. (My original policy back in the day, and remains now, to err in favour of more ammo in this situation.)
- You can no longer toss a weapon using the normal toss command, only the custom one. Also, you can't toss a ZM66 while it's cooking off, nor a BFG while it is charged past critical mass before it has fired.
- Reduced fire radius for barrels and made them random, meaning that if you're not getting hurt by the blast you're (most likely) not catching fire because of it either.
(Old updates from 2015 available here.)
(Old updates from 2014 available here.)
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author