Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Bright red haze means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits (or, if no medikits, weapon slot 9) to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload. Hold to keep the mag.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slydir
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
May 25, 2015:
- Bugfix: Vulcanette offset would not reset after ejecting a mag while shooting. Reduced the offset amount while I was at it.
- Bugfix: IED kit had super pickup sound.
- Bugfix: Deadrifleman skipped gibbing check after the initial falling.
- Bugfix: Apparently SXF_ABSOLUTEPOSITION in the gun smoker actor did not do what I thought it would do. I still don't know what it did. It's gone.
- Bugfix: Exploding barrels could not gib corpses.
- Bugfix: Picking up a map prevented you from picking up a map in another level.
- Bugfix: Finally got rid of that blank BEHAVIOR lump that was spitting out that error message on the range.
- Added some inaccuracy to the Vulcanette while it is spinning.
- Plasma alt no longer airbursts.
- Sight picture is now removed when you're holding down fire with no ammo and tilting the plasma gun.
- Plasma alt can now gib corpses.
- Plasma alt can now go up to 1024 DUs, and starts getting less powerful after 400 DUs.
- Violently disabling IEDs is now a matter of chance rather than damage. Shooting them tends to give more reliable results.
- Minor tweaks to fire. Slightly harder to put out now.
Changed sprinting so that you can only sprint forward. You can sprint further though, by about 10m give or take. Nope. Just can't get it to work right - either you go ridiculously fast or take ridiculously long to accelerate. (What I was trying to do was to replace a mere moving speed increase with actually throwing the player up and forwards to replicate actual sprinting. A lot more complex than I might have assumed.)
- Greatly reduced recoil increase when firing on the move.
- Plasma fire mode switching now takes a bit longer, while attempting to shoot while empty no longer gives you an awkward pause before you may switch or reload.
- Pack of IED kits now has doomednum 23022.
May 18, 2015:
- Bugfix: SMG marines had the same drops defined as rifle marines.
- Bugfix: SMG and rifle marines were dropping empty weapons instead of drop pickups.
- Bugfix: Picking up extra chainsaws increased loaded ammo directly.
- Bugfix: Dud rockets could not gib corpses when exploding.
- Zoomed scope views are now significantly bigger.
- If your weapon is braced and you are aiming within a small threshold, your mouse sensitivity is reduced to 1/3.
- Your turn speed also fluctuates if you are fatigued or badly injured, and is tripled if you are berserk.
- Greatly reduced gun smoke effects.Vulcanette targets should always be visible.
- Pistol now uses ZDoom's own pistol sprite.
- Reduced ZM66 horizontal muzzle climb.
- You can now brace a pistol.
- Increased max sprint fatigue. Not quite the 20-25% asked for, but should be noticeable.
- Reduced staggering at low health.
- Greatly reduced pistol bullet whoosh sound.
- New Thunder Buster attack! Use altfire to switch to and from a "flamethrower" mode that breaks up the beam for some nasty, relatively giant-explosion-free CQB chaos! (Zoom key activates zoom as usual.)
- Grenadier now also spawns with 3 HEAT rockets.
- Dud rocket grenades can now be picked up.
- Added IEDs! Available through Roboticist and sometimes Insurgent, and the occasional ammo box.
May 11, 2015:
- Bugfix: Killer barrels would be rendered with different floor clipping due to the +ismonster flag. They are now de-flagged for "ismonster" upon spawning (they would spawn despite -nomonster if I'd simply defined them that way). Side effect: friendlies won't know to attack them unless directly provoked (i.e., hit).
- Bugfix: hd_purge key was misnamed as purging weapons and ammo, rather than ammo for which you had no weapon.
- Bugfix: Blood would only go in one general cardinal direction. Added +puffgetsowner which I think fixes things unless the RNG is feeding my confirmation bias.
- Added visual effect: blood actually comes out of you when you're bleeding. Only visible on chase cam or multiplayer.
- Added some miscellaneous decoration (re)definitions. Should be easier to shoot around techlamps and torches, while making hitscan versus projectile behaviour more consistent.
- Made blood effects more visible.
- Added some new arbitrary behaviours for the wonderfully silly and arbitrary floating skull rock. Won't attack you, but don't punch it.
May 4, 2015:
- Bugfix: Bots would not die when their replacement was killed.
- Bugfix: SMG marines could launch grenades.
- Bugfix: SMG tangos would drop 2 SMGs.
- Added some sounds specific to today's update. Separate download here because lol 3.5MB
April 27, 2015:
- Bugfix: Dead revenants could not be raised.
- Bugfix: Missing frames when a gibbed marine is raised as a zombie.
- Bugfix: Roboticist description in manual had not been replaced and just had the old medic description.
- Bugfix: Dropped SMG was spawning map pickup.
- Reduced roboticist meds.
- Reduced rate of healer imp shards when killed. Also slightly higher chance if you gib them.
April 20, 2015:
- You no longer need to be below a certain amount of health to use berserk packs.
- Healer imps now occasionally spawn shards on death.
- Gave medic a standard-issue ZM66 with 1 spare mag in lieu of a pistol. Reduced starting radsuits to 1 so you wouldn't start overencumbered.
- Gave roboticist 5 pistol mags and a spare pistol.
April 13, 2015:
- Bugfix: Dead revenant state had "SKEP P" instead of "SKEL P".
- Bugfix: The round in the ZM66 chamber causing the jam would be left in when you clear the jam, letting you end the process with a 50+1 reload.
- Special Bright Week bugfix: Death is overthrown! Make use of what you can.
April 6, 2015:
- Bugfix: Dropped SMG actor shared state with map SMG actor, causing it to spawn an extra mag.
- Better visual distinction between pistol/SMG mags and ZM66 mags.
- "Clip" now sometimes spawns pistol or SMG mags, or armour bonus replacements.
- Turrette now explodes instantly on death.
March 23, 2015:
- Bugfix: HERP pickup spawn would be targeted by friendlies.
- Capped the bleeding red haze.
- Removed some pixels from the SMG mag sprite.
- New Vulcanette pickup sprite.
March 16, 2015:
- Bugfix: Shotgun guys were dropping empty shotguns all the time. Created a new dropped pickup variant just for this.
- Bugfix: Shotguns were spawning with things other than shells.
- Map-placed SMGs and chainguns now also spawn mags.
- Changed the DamageThing calls in the (self) bandaging to bleedouts as the screaming was a bit odd.
- Improved appearance of SMG and pistol mags. They are now grey and there is no seam in the middle of the SMG mag where CLIPA0 normally ends.
- Edited the SMG pickup sprite.
March 9, 2015:
- Bugfix: You would telefrag an invulnerability sphere, robbing you of deliberately necessary invulnerability and breaking many maps. Now if you telefrag the sphere, it gives you the invulnerability immediately instead of dying.
- Bugfix: Partial mag reload for Vulcanette would empty your ZM66.
- Bugfix: Bleeding, etc. fades did not reset. All ACS fade calls are now FadeRange calls that end with 0,0,0,0, and the "get hit" pain state now makes an A_SetBlend call to replicate the old effect.
- Bugfix: Weapon bracing click could cut off other player sounds.
- Many weapon pickups now spawn ammo.
- Increased how many weapons you can carry in encumbrance mode.
February 23, 2015:
- Bugfix: Riflemen now drop actual single mags.
- Commented out the additional black pain flicker as it was interfering with the bleeding/lingering pain fade.
February 16, 2015:
- Bugfix: The carrylimit check should have been done after the items were dropped.
- Bugfix: The chaingunner called A_CustomMissile to drop empty mags, which caused it to instantly face its target. Replaced with A_SpawnItemEx.
- Liberator no longer gets dropped at an arbitrarily shorter distance than everything else.
- Recompressed the file. No idea why, but we're back under 500k again! (Let me know if anything's missing or broken.)
February 9, 2015:
- Bugfix: Marines were dropping mags that would multiply up to 30x once picked up.
- Bugfix: Hitting alt reload with a full BFG would send you into a jittery endless loop.
- Further reduction of archvile pain explosion, while adding a fulldamageradius.
- Plasma pickup gives a more randomized ammo spread. (Chainsaw remains constant.)
- You can now pick up Boss clips without a Boss rifle. They will be converted into loose rounds for your Liberator as required.
- Archvile should now run much, much further away when pained.
- Changed the bleeding indicator again. Now if it's a bright red haze, you're bleeding, but if it's a desaturated or dark haze, you're just low on health.
- Changed the drop/purge system. Now hd_purge just drops all ammo that you don't have weapons for, while hd_drop will drop your current weapon and all its ammo that it doesn't share with another weapon. (Unfortunately the "loaded weapon status runs with person not weapon" problem remains the same as before.) Hitting hd_drop while you have bandages or injector out will drop all your healing items, while with your fist out will drop all other usable items (including medical station which is dropped in either situation).
February 2, 2015:
- Bugfix: Fence in the firing range was glitched in software mode. Got off my lazy ass (well, really got down on my lazy ass) and defined a proper texture for it.
- Bugfix: Map revealer left a blank slot in the usable inventory, and forced a red pickup message.
- Key pickup messages now use log and print colours.
- Archvile explosion damage type set to Thermal rather than normal.
- Replaced a bunch of inventory.undroppable flags with inventory.untossable so I can use ClearInventory etc.
- Split the ACS into multiple files.
January 26, 2015:
- Bugfix: Removed reference to obsolete way of telling killer barrels from normal ones.
- Bugfix: Shotgun smoke was going the wrong way.
- Bugfix: Various weapon garbage objects (empty mags, grenade spoons) had +noblockmap on them and thus did not follow raising and lowering lifts.
- Bugfix: The weapon drop would cause multiple weapons to drop as the script kept checking for weapons while you automatically switched to other weapons. You can still screw it up if you switch weapons deliberately during the process, but until I bother to idiotproof that you are free to do so.
- Stepping up/down is no longer checked while the player is flying.
January 19, 2015:
- Bugfix: Any weapon pickup that inherited directly from HDWeapon could noclip into a wall when dropped. I cannot imagine why I had that +noclip there to begin with, but it must have been there for a reason so let me know if anything weapon pickup-related breaks (esp. wrt BFG, rocket launcher and shotguns).
- Bugfix: Shotgun smoke wasn't moving forwards.
- Added small delay so the blocks-carrying display shows up around the same time your macro inventory does.
- You can now use the zoom key to unload rockets from the RL.
- Key pickup messages now use default colour.
January 12, 2015:
- Bugfix: Shotgun racking angle change was not interpolated.
- Blue potions are now allowed in Grimdark.
- Self-bandage option now has a HUD graphic when selected.
- Slayer now easier to point while moving than Hunter.
- Bandage altfire lets you bandage a teammate. As usual, much more reliable than a DIY. Same function is available for the Injector primary fire if you are out of medikits.
- Updated quick help texts to reflect the fact that bleeding is not "flickering" anymore (at least not intentionally anyway).
January 5, 2015:
- Forgot to mention: added small sound indicator for the boss brain's lines.
- Bugfix: When I changed the crouch check to be based on playerpawn height, the crouch check always returned true while the player was dead, resulting in the wrong corpse type being spawned.
- Bugfix: While fixing the above, I also implemented the loop/wait chainsaw fix to the player corpse.
- Bugfix: ZM66 would keep spawning mags every time you attempted to clear a jam.
- Added a new function: attempt to bandage yourself with improvised materials in the absence of a medikit. This is abstracted to just hitting weapon slot 9 and holding fire while standing still.
- Got rid of some nodelay calls, pending resolution of a GZDoom bug.
- Turrettes make at least a bit of sound on wakeup.
- Changed the rocket launcher. Now it just shoots straight instead of igniting in midair and somehow magically staying pointed in the right direction.
- HEAT rounds are now functionally nearly identical to normal rockets except for damage and acceleration.
- Rockets, bullets, launched grenades, Bronto shells and BFG balls now all inherit player momentum. You'll have to unlearn a few things when strafing with subsonic projectiles (supersonic ones generally showing negligible difference).
- Slowed down pistol non-retention reload, and sped up the New York reload, as before it was actually faster to reload than swap pistols.
- If you are in excellent health (>90), you may reload a half-full SSG while moving and still retain the unspent shell without dropping it.
- Beefed up normal rocket damage.
- Couldn't fix the frag grenade lag, but did clean up the code a bit.
- Shotgun spreads may have been changed slightly in all this. Let me know if they seem stupidly tight.
- Temporarily trying something new with the bleeding: instead of the old flickering, you're now fading in and out when you're standing still. If people prefer this then it will be permanent.
- Boss rifle zeroing is now properly done by setting pitch instead of adding bullet velocity. The bullet should hit the back wall of the range, firing from just behind the sandbags, about 2 pixels below the middle of your crosshair.
(Old updates from 2014 available here.)
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author