Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Bright red haze means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits (or, if no medikits, weapon slot 9) to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload. Hold to keep the mag.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slydir
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
January 25, 2015:
- Bugfix: Mage imps shot at the right time would leave a gravity-defying corpse. They now drop.
- Bugfix: Drop-extra sequence skipped over SMG mags.
- Bugfix: BFG pickup sequence wasn't updated to include a loaded cell.
- Bugfix: Lite amp would be charged to max every time you picked it up.
- Bugfix: Stray PLSGC where an A should have been.
- On the topic of bugfixes...
- DERP is just a tiny bit slower on the shot, and actually has to turn to aim. This should make it roughly on a more proper challenge level from the old "look at it and die".
- Fatigue is no longer a restriction to mantling.
- Diagonal leaps now implemented.
- Revenants now lean forward into their punches. Not too much, though, since they don't actually step.
- You can now pick up robots even while you have one in your inventory! You will simply swap one out for the other. (Potentially) Good for quickly disabling enemy bots on the run.
- That shelf next to the light next to the door at the range? You can jump-climb onto that now.
- Evil eyes are now switchable but no longer shootable.
January 18, 2015:
- Bugfix: If you died while cooking off a grenade, the grenade you dropped would have a full four-second fuze. (This was originally intentional but I don't remember why.)
- Bugfix: Fire cans didn't use FCANC0.
- Bugfix: -hd_firemode was not defined properly.
- Bugfix: Semi rifle didn't check for ammo before checking for cookoff.
- Bugfix: Map-spawned dead babuins were pushable.
- Bugfix: When you had cl_run on but could not sprint, holding +speed would cause you to walk. Not really a "bug", but an indefensibly confusing inconsistency with the input. Now to get a walk speed you must turn off cl_run.
- Added a longer delay to the cyberdemon's attack. This should make it roughly on a more proper challenge level from the old "look at it and die".
- Instead of the fatigue, a skull now gives you a wound and some health.
- Green helmets now make you scary.
- Pressing jump while holding on to any direction key now makes you leap in that direction.
- You can now knock dud rockets around by shooting them as you would a frag.
- HERPs and DERPs now occasionally replace chaingun guys as enemies! Also, I have made no changes to DERP behaviour which means you now have a ridiculously overpowered enemy. Have fun!
- DERPs now make noises when they move.
- Added the shotgun guy's LOF check to the marines. Hopefully a little less friendly fire.
- Fire can sprites are now properly centered at the base of the barrel not the entire sprite.
- Changed the archvile hellfire attack. Now it takes a bit longer to spawn, and instead of a near-unavoidable wave of explosions you now get only one explosion which launches you a significant distance and potentially sets you on fire. This can, but usually will not, one-shot you at full health and standard green armour.
- BFG and Thunder Buster now use A_QuakeEx for their residual tremors.
- I've added +hd_unload and it's in the menu but please note it does not do anything yet at this time.
- The various marine-to-zombieman degenerations should no longer drop rifles.
- Marine helmet now visibly disintegrates when a gibbed marine is being raised as a zombieman.
- Some tweaks to bot-marine warping.
- Vulcanette can now be turned on while empty. Holding altfire and fire now also do not continuously dry-spin the gun uselessly.
- SMG sound now plays at 70% volume due to better suppression.
- HERP now sweeps twice as fast.
- DERP no longer has 360-degree vision and is more conservative with ammo.
- Temporary "shields" originally designed to prevent shotgun multikill cheese now only last 10-16 tics from the original 50+. Also got rid of the unused "permshield".
- Changed zombie bleedout to use missiles instead of explosives.
- Frag grenade pickup actor now spawns 6 grenades neatly sorted, rather than 5 scattered ones.
- Cyberdemon, spiderdemon and bossbrain now also use A_QuakeEx for their residual tremors.
- Now you slide the HERP out in front of you when you deploy it, more like a drop instead of plopping it down right in front of yourself out of sight.
January 11, 2015:
- Bugfix: Forgot to edit the A_DropInventory calls for the rifles now that I made weapons untossable again.
- Bugfix(?): For some reason I had the Liberator replacement spawn 20 units above where the original weapon ought to be.
- Bugfix: If you held altfire while reloading an overheated ZM66, it would not cook off until you let go, losing heat the whole time. The cookoff state is now an entirely self-contained sequence that does not jump to any of the normal shooting states until the gun is empty or jammed.
- Bugfix: There were some situations where the second pistol would be available for all purposes but would not be dropped when you would try to drop the pistol, due to the second pistol requiring tracking for 2 separate items and the drop function checking only for one.
- Bugfix: Jump error skipped loaded grenade check on ZM66.
- Supported-gun flag is now removed from ZM66 when it starts shooting while you are not pulling the trigger.
January 4, 2016:
- Bugfix: Arachnotron's close-hack shot angle was always off by 3 degrees, rather than having a 3-degree spread each way. Expect close encounters to be a little more unpleasant.
- Bugfix: Barrel actors were radius 16 which is much larger than the sprite. Reduced to 11 (as the canonical 10 is actually a tiny bit too small).
- Bugfix: Blooper loaded indicator was supposed to replace the ordinary ammo count, not add to it.
- Bugfix: Jump/goto copypaste error meant that Brontornis bolts were often not purged with hd_purge.
- Bugfix: Latent demon in BFG still present after BFG shot fired with no charge in between.
- Not all grenade fragments will puff. Their evade-warning is also shaped like a cube. Number of fragments on hand grenades reduced by 25%. And to top it all off, the fragments are now spawned spread over a 4-tic period which isn't perfect but seems to be what finally managed to solve the lag issue.
- Baron green plasma no longer tracks as aggressively, and the hellknight's symmetrical fan attack is much slower and only occurs at a much longer range.
- HERP scans in a 90-degree rather than a 180-degree fan.
- Barrels now delay exploding if another barrel has recently exploded nearby. Map23 starting hallway is now theoretically playable.
- Added similar burn-out effects on the spiderdemon and cyberdemon.
- Got rid of the (mostly completely unnoticeable) bounce effect on falling damage as it was interfering with some very fast descending lifts.
- Now when you drop a weapon that uses rocket grenades, it will not drop those grenades if you also have another weapon that uses them.
- When you hit the "drop one" key for a weapon with refillable mags, you drop any loose ammo before you start dropping mags.
- The hd_purge command now purges dead *ERP gun robots from your inventory. You can now also carry 1 dead and 1 live of each *ERP. If you have both when you exit a map, the broken one will not be repaired.
- To make up for the much longer delay between shots, the BFG now does a spray just as the ball comes out.
- Moved all ZM66 rifle shooting to the flash state plus a custominventory item.
- Now, if you hit altfire while your GL-mounted ZM66 is cooking off, you will attempt to shoot a grenade. This does not switch to "grenade mode", you shoot the thing immediately.
- Something I'm not changing: non-ZM66 zombies will still drop weapons when they die after having been raised. The only reason I made it that way for the rifle zombies was because many ZM66s spawn empty and can never be picked up - if I did something similar for the shotgun you'd just see the place littered with shells instead. (My original policy back in the day, and remains now, to err in favour of more ammo in this situation.)
- You can no longer toss a weapon using the normal toss command, only the custom one. Also, you can't toss a ZM66 while it's cooking off, nor a BFG while it is charged past critical mass before it has fired.
- Reduced fire radius for barrels and made them random, meaning that if you're not getting hurt by the blast you're (most likely) not catching fire because of it either.
(Old updates from 2015 available here.)
(Old updates from 2014 available here.)
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author