Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Black flickering means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slyd1r
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
April 14, 2014:
- Bugfix: Injector HUD sprites not showing up correctly on "fullscreen" HUD.
- Lowered the lit-fuze warning on the screen.
April 7, 2014:
- Manual updated to get rid of last vestiges of shitty old skill names.
- Select-fire ZM66 slightly more likely to jam than semi.
- Semi ZM66s are now dropped rather than destroyed when you pick up an auto.
April 1, 2014:
- Big gore update! All deaths updated with fresh graphics based on real dead people. Plasma deaths have built-in black people jokes, and added a secret explosive/gas weapon (slot 88) that causes jaundice and swelling of eyelids.
- Icon of Sin can only be destroyed if you hit it exactly 3 times with 3 different weapons, to symbolize the Holy Trinity. (An alternate boss requiring 6 hits, one with each of the 2 modes on a given weapon, to symbolize the dual nature of Christ, will be available in the Russian-language-only "Old Believer" expansion pack.)
- Bugfix: Injured players' views would flicker randomly and they would lose health until they used a medikit. Not sure what caused that, but it's gone now.
- All weapons now get updated voxel graphics. Note that because of the fixed view it is very hard to notice.
- Archvile flames now recite verses from the Holy Qur'an before exploding.
- ...in Japanese.
- Pinky demons are now a metaphor for British colonialism and white privilege.
- Replaced E3M8 plasma rifle with Galadriel's Phial.
- Final boss arena added, an open featureless field in which you fight one archvile for each and every time you've ever teleported, charged or shot a BFG, or killed something using a barrel.
March 31, 2014:
- Clarified what the 3 co-op modes are in the manual.
March 24, 2014:
- Bugpossiblyfix??????: HD desyncs upon re-entering the level after a wipeout. Added a "terminate" immediately after the co-op wipe-out Teleport_NewMap call. The enter-repeat script also terminates once you have the "WipedOut" item, which might also remove a source of desync.
March 17, 2014:
- Bugfix: Idle spectres would occasionally suddenly flash out of sight without cloaking properly.
- Most spectres are now replaced with a fuzzy babuin.
- Spectres, now being much rarer, play a bit more conservatively.
- Increased drop rate for medikits.
- Slight tweaks to healing item numbers. Stimpacks less dangerous to use.
- Added a help screen.
January 13, 2014:
- Bugfix: Forgot to mention Icytux as the originator of the pinky sprite edit.
- Bugfix: Player standing state spilled over into running state.
- Added the built-in ZDoom crouched death animations.
- Minor tweaks to the bullet puffs.
- Trees now spawn in random sizes and can catch fire.
January 6, 2014:
- Bugfix: Brontornis was immune to movement aiming randomization.
- Bugfix: Pain elemental was moving too fast with the extra A_Chase calls.
- Bugfix: It was possible to get the same boss brain message a couple times in a row.
- Bugfix: All boss cube spawns were friendly??? lol idek
- Arachnotrons now retreat into safe range before attacking.
- Added a sound to the particle beam target so you know if someone or something is shooting.
- Scaled launched grenades down to speed 90 from 120.
- Added the sprites from IMX's excellent Demonicron for the babuins.
- Babuins now check their leap path to minimize the risk of infighting.
- Randomized the apparent size of some of the "naked" mooks - babuin, spectre, caco, imp, skull and PE - to make groups of them look more "horde" and less "phalanx". Side effect: easier to keep track of bets during babuin infighting.
- Moved the pain elemental, spectre and lost soul DECORATE code so the lost soul isn't arbitrarily lumped together with the spectre.
- Cyberdemon rockets no longer subject to gravity. It's just too complex for me to figure out how to get it to aim up after a certain range.
- Cleaned up the cyberdemon aiming and movement a bit.
- Tweaked the look of the mancubus fire.
- Added randomized spawn scale and state to hell knights. Barons just keep their corporeal forms dignifiedly hidden until used.
- Baron balls no longer seek as aggressively.
- Barons leave shards when they die. Theoretically this can make them impossible to kill permanently, but fortunately they're not that smart.
- Rewrote the BFG fluff because the bad German in the old version was just too unbearably awkward.
- Added some weaving to the BFG ball. It now also avoids hitting floor and ceiling to some extent.
- Increased spider mastermind target range to 2048.
- Added randomized scale for archies.
- Changed the boss brain message system so I no longer need to worry about messages crossing each other.
- Boss brain's stated agenda is now explicit.
- "Pistol start hack" check now works against all four players.
- Boss brain gives you free BFG ammo with every cube.
- Added description of basic unarmed attacks to manual.
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author