Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for ZDoom
- A complete re-balancing of Doom's gameplay for a different experience while keeping the old mainstays of demons and zombies.
- Increased deadliness for all weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Improved monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil and muzzle climb.
- A real-time scoring system for co-op play that rewards survival first and killing second.
- Minimal interference with the original Doom visual style.
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
So what does it actually do?
- First, it gives the player better weapons: along with the pistol, you get grenades, medikits, and at least one of eight possible primary weapons of your choice. Then it reduces the spread of every weapon, most notably the shotguns, to make it much easier to kill at longer ranges. The weapons themselves do more damage, too.
- In return, though, it makes the Doomguy move more like a real human being. Compared with the monsters he is now only above average in speed, and will have some difficulty firing while running. Getting hit is going to be a lot worse, especially since everyone else's firepower is increased to kill as efficiently as you!
- On the bright side, your logistical problems are greatly ameliorated. You naturally regain health over time (the rationale being that you're taking stress and fatigue as well as actual wounds), and zombies of all kinds drop much more ammo - in addition to the fact that you're already using less than before.
- What you pick up and when you pick it up are also much more under your control. Medical pickups and light amp goggles can be picked up and kept for later on in the level. You must pick up objects manually, giving you even more control over your resources.
- These changes all lead to your in-game risks being front-loaded: your timing, positioning, and ability to anticipate attacks in any single fight are much more important along with your strategic timing of when to use which pickup. One mistake can kill you immediately, instead of just hurting your chances two or three firefights later. This kind of play can be a bit more stressful than the way Doom normally plays, but it makes each kill that much more rewarding.
Or, using only the ten hundred most common words in the language:
I like to play this game where you go around hitting things with guns and those things can hit back at you. In this game most of the things are very slow and not-strong but the player is very fast and strong. For a lot of reasons I don't think that's right. So I made this add-on for the game that makes the things stronger and faster and the player slower and less strong, but to give the player a chance the player can still be hit quite a few times before dying and can even hit harder than before (though the things also hit harder - a lot harder). Along the way I also made the guns act more like they would if they were real guns.
Or you can just watch a few videos to see what it does.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
May 13, 2013:
- Bugfix: The Taunter item is now given to the Doomed Guy and Insurgent classes.
- Bugfix: Turrette should have had DoomEdNum 23004.
- Bugfix: Corrected various references to obsolete actors and actor names. Anyone who was complaining about missing pistol ammo in the last few versions was, in fact, correct.
- Added one more mag that may be dropped by zombiemen.
- Reduced the bullet cracks to 60% of their previous volume.
- Added a few pickup doomednums. Grenade rifle: 23011; Normal rifle: 23012; Semi rifle: 23013; DERP: 23014; Frag grenade: 23015.
- Frag grenades no longer randomly spawn in lieu of stimpacks because putting deadly AoE weapons next to medical supplies makes no sense. You now get occasional medikits instead.
- Made frag grenades slightly more likely to spawn everywhere else.
06 May 2013:
- Bugfix: Summoned ghost marines would attack your DERP.
- Bugfix: There was an old version of the distant rifle sound, dsriffarx.wav, that was always the last DSRIFFAR being read, preventing me from getting rid of that staticky bit at the end through any change to the co-existing dsriffar.wav. Such a tiny stupid mistake and it's bothered me day in, day out for six fucking years oh god I'm crying here ::cans.wav::
- Bugfix: If you shot the left SSG barrel from full, then deselected and reselected it, you could shoot the left barrel again.
- De-noclipped various effects. I assume I made them +noclip originally for a reason, so let me know if you see any visual anomalies in this update.
- Added a tentative Brutal Doom-style enemy-waking taunt. Command is hd_taunt. Default bind is B. Sound is Kuni from UHF.
- Some tweaks to rifle sound.
22 April 2013:
- Please remember to update your version of GZDoom to the newest SVN.
- Cleaned up the arachnotron shot code. Arachnotron shots are now much more powerful and easier to dodge.
- Added a warp function to the caco's power preshot.
- Some more delimiting of sounds.
- Completely redid the cyberdemon attacks to be less aggressive but more accurate - after all, it only takes one direct hit.
01 April 2013:
- Bugfix: Summoned ghosts had a melee attack but no melee damage.
- Bugfix: Would you believe that all this time I forgot to set the bullet crack sound limit to "0" in SNDINFO and just assumed the sounds getting cut off were due to a hard engine limitation? Play this version on speakers with loud music already playing before considering earbuds.
- Bugfix: If the cyberdemon loses its target in its staggering-to-death sequence, it would revert to its spawn state.
- Simplified the chaingun code to remove an effect that didn't work anyway.
- Turrette fireballs no longer seek. Let me know if this makes them too easy.
- Important Update: This past Easter, in contemplating the purpose and function of the Resurrection and how that relates to our concepts of faith and belief and of fighting metaphysical evil, I have decided to make a crucial change. From this point on, Hideous Destructor will not have any HUD or status bar. I am sick of this convention of having to coddle the player with such a straightforward and convenient inventory of all their ammunition just right there on the screen. You will now have to remember how much ammo and what keys and what (and how many) items you have and play carefully. I believe this will encourage ammo conservation and tactical gameplay. I hope with this change I can take this project one step closer to a truly tactical experience, the most realistic, detailed and accurate simulation of the impending twenty-third century incarnate demonic apocalypse available to the public ever.
- Hitting the reload key with the pistol now always reloads the pistol in hand rather than switching to the spare.
18 March 2013:
- Bugfix: Forgot to add the semi rifle to the fullscreen HUD.
- Bugfix: "Out of grenades" punch attack was inconsistent (too fast) with the regular fist punch. The grenade weapon now inherits from the fist weapon.
- Bugfix: Gun smoke shouldn't teleport.
- Added the evasion behaviour to the Nazis and sped up their ordinary running speed a bit.
- Chaingunguy now shoots from where his gun appears to be.
- Summoned ghost marines now only do nominal damage, can't be killed, and spread fear throughout the enemy ranks.
04 March 2013:
- Bugfix: If you only shot the right SSG barrel, then died and respawned with the SSG selected the whole time (i.e. you didn't have anything better to be auto-switched to in respawn), then you would not be able to shoot the right barrel until you reloaded or switched weapons. (This was a lot more common a situation than one would think given the length of the description.)
- Bugfix: Forgot to remove an experimental state.
- Bugfix: An error in developer internal reasoning logic resulted in being unable to switch between the grenade rifle and the semi rifle as you would between the grenade rifle and the auto rifle.
- Bugfix: Loaded HEAT rockets could only be unloaded if you had spare HEAT rockets in your inventory.
- Mage imps now set you on fire more often.
- The different rifle pickups now act like armour used to: you pick up the weapon only if you hold use and hover over them for just over half a second. Otherwise you just strip the ammo from it.
- On that note, greatly simplified and updated the rifle pickup code.
25 February 2013:
- Bugfix: A four-pack would only give you 1 shell and drop 2 if you had 23 shells in your pockets.
- Bugfix: Rocket box replacement ammo wasn't being scaled properly.
- Bugfix: Wipeout script wasn't clearing all inventory items. It still doesn't, but I should have gotten rid of anything obvious on the player end.
- Limited the maximum and minimum range when targeting someone would cause them to evade.
- Rockets tweaked and buffed. Now bigger, clearer distinction between explosive point-blank and less explosive but higher-velocity-impact long-distance shots. They now also run out of fuel and begin drifting down after a while. Rockets are now (sometimes) actually more effective than the BFG against cyberdemons!
- HEAT rockets buffed slightly to match the normal rockets.
- Some tweaks to the cyberdemon and spider mastermind.
- Particle beam crosshair now zooms for long-range target acquisition and improved aiming.
- Reduced spectre hitpoints to reflect the fact that they're usually in swarms.
- Made cells more likely to spawn given how much you go through.
- Added a new playerclass, the Insurgent, whose loadout is randomized. Not nearly as doomed as the Doomed Guy, but chances are you won't be spawning with armour or medikits. Enjoy your new Skinner box, folks.
- Pressing reload now lets you check your pump shotgun to see if there is a spent shell in the chamber.
- BFG ball speed reduced to 12 to give it more time to attack (single and coop only).
- Took BFG cell usage back to 40.
- Semi-only variants of the ZM66 are now available. You can only spawn with one through randomly getting it as an insurgent.
- BFG deathmatch behaviour overhauled; it's now just a big scary fast missile.
- Your HUD now indicates whether you're using the grenade launcher (mode) for the GL-mounted rifle and rocket launcher. Also gave a bit more visual feedback for switching modes on the latter.
- In coop, when you restart from a wipeout, you now start with insurgent loadouts.
- Revised the wipeout status to use a morphed playerpawn instead of modifying the normal player actor.
- You can now choose between rifles that have or do not have underslung grenade launchers! Let me know if scrounging for zombie ammo becomes intolerably annoying because of this. (On that note, the handling difference between the two guns is greatly increased. Let's just say it's easier to kill a cyberdemon without the grenade launcher than with.)
18 February 2013:
- Bugfix: HUD still showed old rifle mag translation.
- Bugfix: Finally made the launched grenades a fastprojectile and made it so much better. Try it. You'll like it. It's like killing someone with hi-ex from all the way across the map.
- Bugfix: If you unload a rocket you cannot carry, it would not spawn.
- Trying out a new method of making zombies try not to get shot. Bad news: they're not quite as aggressive. Good news: they might not even have to be.
- Removed the score display by popular demand!
- Renamed some actors and other code. One less dickwolf in this game.
- Renamed the skill levels and made girlfriend mode slightly less accommodating.
- Increased pump shotgun weapon inertia.
- Crosshairs (unless you've got force crosshairs on, can't do anything about that) now only appear when you've got your sights lined up. If your weapons shouldn't have sights to line up, no cross.
- On that note, new crosshairs for each weapon. These respect your crosshairforce setting so if you have that on you won't see them.
- Altfire on grenade rifle and RL now switch to and from grenade mode. Hint: the ladder sight shoots the grenade.
- You now leave behind one medikit unit if you try to pick up a pair but can only pick up one.
04 February 2013:
- Bugfix: Forgot to translate the "clipbox" replacer pickup.
- Updated the copyright/permissions in hd.txt to, I hope, somewhat less inaccurately reflect the actual legal situation.
- Lowered the vulcanette shot a bit.
- Rifle now starts on semi and shoots far more before smoking. The heat also no longer completely resets upon switching weapons.
- Increased launched grenade speed to 120 from 80. Let me know if you run into problems.
28 January 2013:
- Bugfix: Some references remained for old pickup actors, meaning nothing spawned where ammo should have spawned.
- Bugfix: A logical failure in coding the 4-pack shotshell pickup meant you got 7 shells instead of 4.
- Bugfix: Pistol pickup did not account for mags in your inventory.
- Bugfix: Pistol dropped directly by a player could not be picked up for a second pistol.
- Changed the interface to make the attack button be the trigger. In particular:
- Pistol: Code is much simplified. Click and shoot until someone dies.
- Shotgun: Primary attack shoots, alt attack racks. You can empty your gun without firing a shot.
- Super Shotgun: Primary attack shoots left barrel, alt attack shoots right, both can be shot at once or very close to each other. Total damage output unchanged.
- Rocket Launcher: Substantially unchanged, except you must now click once for every projectile fired. If you click really fast, it shoots really fast. Have fun.
- Some minor tweaks to rifle recoil and reload animations.
- You are heavy weapons guy! The vulcanette now drifts towards horizontality if pointed up, greatly reducing its recoil.
- To make up for the egregiously fiddly shotgun handling, the side saddles load 40% faster.
- You can now sidestep the same speed as moving forward.
- Your firearms no longer constantly do muzzle flashes, and instead smoke usually comes out. (Yes, I've been reading this.)
- You now reload the pistol, rifle and chaingun much faster from a dry reload than a tactical reload, dropping any mag that happens to be empty. On that note, I've also made the ZM66 rounds bright red, so it's instantly apparent if a detached mag is loaded or not.
21 January 2013:
- Bugfix: Imps were dropping the pistol directly, which provided no ammo.
- Redid the vileshard spawning. Hopefully this will fix the bug where the occasional dead archvile will leave a column of glowing shards that don't disperse until shot at.
- The archvile may require slightly fewer heals to raise more powerful monsters.
- Friendly archviles and archangels now take more hits.
- Added some very experimental shit messing with your mouse sensitivity depending on what weapon you have and whether you're crouched. Don't worry, nothing is saved as a cvar. Warning: may cause motion sickness.
14 January 2013:
- Finally got rid of that clipping noise in the distant rifle sound.
- Some wording adjustments and corrections to the manual.
01 January 2013:
- All inventory and weapons other than fist and grenade-throwing arm may be dropped.
- All ammo may be dropped that is neither attached to a gun nor "loose" and randomly selected may also be dropped.
- Revamped the use-pickup system - you must now be holding the use key to pick up any item, mundane or supernatural.
- As a side effect of this change, you can no longer pick up loose ammo while trying to pick up a full mag - you'll just be unable to pick it up if your mag count is maxed out.
10 December 2012:
- Bugfix: There used to be a small but non-zero chance that the boss brain might not be killed on one of those maps that uses a boss brain to exit. Increased painchance to 256 to avoid that possibility.
- Bugfix: If your main shell capacity was at 24 while you reloaded the SSG from half full, your remaining shell would never appear.
- Bugfix: In multiplayer, if you died while on fire, you would respawn on fire and it would burn its course as though you never respawned.
- More BFG tweaks. Now faster and less buggy.
- Redid the four-pack shell pickups to something more sensible.
- You now only stagger at low health if your feet are on the ground. Mantling while injured should be somewhat less impracticable.
- Radiation suits are now manually used, come in packs of 2, and double as a fire retardant. (And can, on occasion, be damaged by fire to the point of uselessness.)
03 December 2012:
- Bugfix: Some code intended to make the vulcanette randomly waste ammo ended up slowing down the ROF after a few shots.
- Bugfix: Shellbox replacement wasn't showing up properly after I divorced the HD weapons from the canon Doom ammotypes.
- Bugfix: The boss brain can now be MDK'd and telefragged, and only talks if the BossEye is also present. In fact, if the BossEye is not present, then the boss brain instantly dies in its pain state.
- Noclip'd the archvile after the first hit, to make things interesting.
- The bosseye targets now spawn lost souls instead of archvile fires.
- Some more tweaks to the boss brain chatter. Hopefully a little less hopelessly cryptic.
- Removed baron explosion resistance and increased hitpoints.
- Increased HEAT impact damage to allow one-shotting of barons.
12 November 2012:
- Bugfix: Used wrong deselect frame for frag grenades.
- Bugfix: Chaingun guy never actually played his gunshot sound! I had assumed this whole time that it was just getting cut off...
- Got rid of all KEYCONF weapon slots. All weapon slot information is now in DECORATE.
- Added three bindable keys, hd_pistol, hd_frags and hd_rock, for selecting weapons that are in multi-weapon slots. These can be set in the menu.
05 November 2012:
- Bugfix: BFG still auto-reloaded if you hit fire while empty.
- Messing around with particle fountains. I'm open to any suggestions (considering, not implementing and releasing officially).
- Added burning debris to cyberdemon rockets and BFG balls (which also get smoke and particle visual upgrades).
- The BFG ball now spawns lots of little autotargeters instead of the gun shooting one of each. This way the BFG ball can pass through teleports without losing its effectiveness.
22 October 2012:
- Bugfix: The "Defence, Engagement, Reconnaissance and Patrol robot full of ammo!" was not, in fact, full of ammo.
- Bugworkaround: Player corpses were disappearing for no reason I could understand.
- Rolled back to previous MAPINFO.
- HD should no longer use any of the vanilla Doom ammo types.
- Increased HEAT capacity to 6.
- The DERP is now only repaired between levels, not immediately upon pickup.
- Redid the L.R. references in the squad summoner.
15 October 2012:
- Re-enabled the blood actors.
- Changed the shell pickup behaviour so you're not stuck running back and forth over the hand grenades if you're trying to pick those up but your shell capacity is full.
- Fixed the zombie sprite offsets.
- Darkened the default blood colour.
- Improved the punch.
- You no longer double your ammo capacity with ID(K)FA.
- Tweaked the mantling a bit.
- Corpses are shootable again!
- More raise state tweaks. Bigger difference between gibbed and not-gibbed dead.
08 October 2012:
- Bugfix: Rocketeer was still shooting from height 32.
- All slow monster projectile trails now emit sounds.
- Foreclosed on the possibility that the cyberdemon's and arachnotron's missiles could be launched even after its attack sequence was aborted.
- Turned off the blood.
- Zombiemen and shotgun guys now fire from the shoulder.
- Happy Thanksgiving!
01 October 2012:
- Grenade fragments now explode as their damage. Please let me know if this makes fragmentation grenades terribly underpowered against bigger monsters or if you experience any slowdowns.
- The Icon of Sin now talks! Sort of.
- It was always my intention that the caco powershot would be this huge scary thing that would make everyone run away as it builds up. In larger maps, however, it's more of this stealth sniper drone attack that kills you out of nowhere. Added some more audio cues and made the chargeup audible from much further away.
- Some minor tweaks to dynamic lights.
- Explained the health-related HUD feedback in more detail in the manual.
- Reduced the berserk wounding by more than half.
24 September 2012:
- Refined the grenade fragment range.
10 September 2012:
- Frag grenades now also use fastprojectiles. As a side effect, kills should register correctly now in deathmatch, so the behaviour is not changed between game modes. Also increased the number of fragments slightly. An airburst hand grenade over an open area should be devastating.
- Summoned riflemen now also use fastprojectile bullets.
- Shellboxes and stimpacks now occasionally provide grenades.
03 September 2012:
- New shotgun obits!
- More caco powershot tweaks! (warning: the powershot can kill you.)
- Tweaked the melee weapons a bit. Berserk punch now punches faster than normal and pulls you forward a bit and the power difference is increased, berserk now lets you move significantly faster with the chainsaw, and your kicks are somewhat more effective than they used to be.
27 August 2012:
- New Keen death.
- Beefed up caco power attack projectile damage.
20 August 2012:
- Bugfix: Point-blank rifle shots now work.
- Bugfix: Badguy riflemen weren't dropping rifles.
- Was inspired by the Borderlands 2 DLC to add a "Girlfriend Mode" difficulty setting. This skill level softens enemy damage by half of the two preceding modes and reduces the required time for certain events to help set a pace more suitable for casual play.
- Tweaked the caco's power shot.
13 August 2012:
- Bugfix: Launched rockets would spawn on the wrong side of the wall. (Thanks to NeuralStunner - see link below)
- Bugfix: Archvile flames could catch fire.
- Added NeuralStunner's improved recoil code for the rockets.
- Increased the delay for distance sounds and made the distant sounds non-directional again. I liked the feeling of not ever "really" knowing where the shots are coming from until it's too late.
- Sped up the rocket.
- You now get a warning before an archvile's ghost begins raising things.
- Gave the archvile one more buff (and distinction from healer imps): mass raise.
- Totally revamped the friendliness treatment for the archviles/archangels.
- Some tweaks to the baron and lost soul attacks.
06 August 2012:
- Bugfix: Picking up a shotgun would occasionally reduce your ammo.
- Bugfix: Archvile's hellfire attack won't show a proper obituary.
- Bugfix: The aimpoint on all fastprojectile weapons was 1 mapunit higher than it should be.
- Updated and streamlined the pickup code for both shotguns.
- "So what I'm hearing in the middle (terrorist picture target) is the bullet's sonic boom and the dull thud after that to the left is the gun itself? If so that is a LOT louder than what I'd imagined." "Exactly. Crazy huh?" New sound. (also bonus link to sounds that won't make it in the mod just yet.)
- Delayed the distant sounds a few more tics.
- More archvile nerfs, namely slowing it down and requiring fewer hits. The way it was either it was unable to reach you and a chore to kill, or able to reach you and a virtual gamebreaker. Also, they now deploy turrettes instead of shooting automated flames if they can't see you. Still the worst thing on two legs since Cyberbaronosaurus Rex.
30 July 2012:
- Bugfix: Your level-start protection didn't actually work. Like, at all, lololol.
- Bugfix: Faulty logic in SSG pickup.
- Learned that buckshot is supposed to be supersonic and that sonic booms occur in a continuous stream. Result: you can now hear little sonic booms from passing buckshot. (The bad news is that it makes it pretty plain that all sounds in Doom travel faster than the speed of sound...)
- Ditto with rifle bullets which are now fastprojectiles. Surprisingly more satisfying to make long distance shots, but that may be related to the fact that it is now possible to one-shot a zombie with the rifle at its maximum possible power. Please let me know if you are frequently getting anomalies with your shots as I'm pretty sure fastprojectiles were never intended to go at speeds of up to 1200 (3230 ft/s).
- Spider mastermind now shoots the same rifle bullets as everyone else, at 1 shot per tic. A side effect of all this, I should note, is that zombies no longer kill each other.
- Slowed down the pistol bullets and actually made the shots suppressed.
- Sped up the DERP's rate of fire and also allowed it to shoot projectile bullets. The actual bullets spawn much higher than the barrel on the sprite to let it shoot over pickups and whatnot.
- Changed the shotgun and pistol damagetypes to reflect the new bullet speeds. Shotguns are now level 1, level 2 at point blank, and pistols are level 1. (Rifles remain level 3 except at extremely long ranges where you'll never see your target under your crosshair anyway.)
- Tweaked the armour resistances slightly to ameliorate the increased shotgun lethality.
- Changed the SS attack to bursts instead of a slow, steady, unending stream of bullets.
- Commented out the SSG-removing script. Sprites are still incomplete. And yes, I know about the turrettes, for the time being just think of HD as Doom2-only. (You can, of course, load doom2.wad as a PWAD to fill in the missing sprites.)
- Violently disabled DERPS are no longer crushed by doors. They've also got olive green treads now!
- SSG now comes with rounds loaded into side saddles.
- Reduced barrel health a bit.
- Tweaked the rifle sprite, moving the hand so it's not completely impossible that there's a grenade launcher under the barrel. Also changed the pickup appearance.
- Shotguns now come with side saddles full of ammo!
- The archvile's "bloody hell" fire attack no longer has that ridiculous max step height.
23 July 2012:
Bugfix: Thanks to the switch to projectiles, shotgun guys could no longer unintentionally hurt each other, making groups of them vastly more dangerous than they ought to be.
- Bugfix: I have absolutely no idea why I had the mancubus set itself to -ismonster in its see state.
- Bugfix: Megasphere gave you less armour than the armour pickups did.
- Bugfix: You lost 1-2 mags of rifle ammo between levels when the script would only stop at an older, higher number of maximum mags you could carry. (Did anyone else even notice this given how much ammo there is?)
- Killer barrels no longer suicide on contact, they just keep attacking.
- Renamed hd.pk3 to hd.pk7 to clarify what kind of archive it actually is (7zip).
- Renamed the plasma rifle replacement actor. Why? Because.
- Made ghosts scary.
- Gave proper decals to the particle beam.
- Old: when you shoot, you'd get the +shadow flag to make baddies aim more poorly. Now you get the frightener power so they run away!
- There's been a lot of talk about how to let the player not die bullshit deaths in bullshitty map starts. Now when you start a map, you stay Elbereth'd until you move or hit the attack button. This can extend your life by entire seconds on maps like Plutonia Map18!
- Reduced the blood effects a bit.
- More buckshot tweaks to get a bit more weapon contrast. Still no plans of letting the player change the choke during play.
- Made the BFG scary. Note: DERPs, ghosts, archviles and the registered Doom 1 bosses are immune to fear.
- Made the ghosts unable to feel pain rather than the DERPs.
- Renamed some playerclasses.
15 July 2012:
- Bugfix: Buckshot puff debris wasn't flying in the correct direction.
- Bugfix: Doomguy didn't spawn with the ability to throw grenades.
- Bugfix: SSG buckshot was about 32x faster than it should have been. Oops.
- +reload is no longer specially defined for HD.
- Tweaked the pain elemental's death and its and the lost soul's raise states.
- Increased the DERP's attack delay and gave it a pain state.
- Shortened various gunflashes.
- Okay, so after getting shot, trying to deploy a DERP into the fray while I round a corner and heal up, and then somehow being dragged into the fray by absorbing the DERP's forward momentum and landing right in the baddies' line of fire, I am going to remove the pushable-wounded-player thing.
- Moved 2009-2011 updates into an archive page.
- Imps can now set you on fire.
- Dying pain elementals can now set you on fire.
- Mancubi can now set you on fire.
- Archviles can now set you on fire.
- On the bright side, the archvile's explosive attack does less base damage so you're less likely to get killed by the blast (and more likely to burn to death).
- On the actual bright side, the flame now moves more slowly and only detonates after a short delay.
- More shotgun tweaks. Now they actually really are ineffective at non-short ranges, boo hiss.
- The slowest buckshot can now teleport. Unfortunately this tends to be far beyond the range at which the shotgun ceases to be an effective weapon, so don't get too excited.
- No more special pleading for the grenade - it now shoots much faster to compensate for having 1.0 gravity. This is getting a bit into "you need a fastprojectile for it to work properly" territory so if you notice any anomalies about this weapon let me know!
- Reduced the input lag for the rifle. Right now semiauto is just point-and-click.
- Reduced the time and size of the little red smoky flames' dynamic lights and made the smoke more translucent.
- Added obituary for the burning death.
- DERPs and ghost marines now draw fire from enemies that hear them.
- Reduced the ghost marines' attack delays to make them slightly less useless.
- More tweaks to all humanoid monsters to make their attacks closer to the player's.
09 July 2012:
- Bugfix: Updated the manual and ACS code to reflect the current state of classes.
- Bugfix: Some stuff still left behind after the hd_doomguy cheat. (though really, the second pistol might just balance things out, given you never need to reload in vanilla Doom...)
- Replaced the backpack with a randomspawner that gives either armour, a DERP, a medical station kit, or a squad talisman.
- Replaced the useless "Assassin" class with the "Medic" class. The medic starts out carrying all medical items plus an extra pistol and 2 more mags for it, as well as the medical station kit described below (with some extra cell ammo for it). The chainsaw is for, uh, rescue operations, yeah that's it.
- Added a new feature: the Medical Station. To use, stand right in front of it while wounded, stare at the blinking lights and don't do anything else. Requires 2 medikits, 3 stimpacks and 1 full cell to deploy. To recover the kit prematurely the station must be destroyed, upon which you recover whatever was unused less one stimpack.
- Relatedly: Players are now pushable if they fall below 40 health. This has not been tested in multiplayer so any feedback on this is welcome.
- Halved the particle beam ammo usage. Given its limited application and the additional function of the cell ammo I do not believe this makes it overpowered.
- Hell nobles, arachnotrons and pain elementals now take multiple attempts to revive.
- Added HEAT rounds to the rocket launcher. To use, use the fire mode key while the RL is out, and do the same to unload. You can only load one HEAT round at a time and cannot use normal rockets while a HEAT round is loaded.
- And speaking of heat: barrels, particle beams and mancubus shots can now light people and corpses on fire.
- Added doomguy as a player class just to shut you people up already.
- Significantly reduced the ablative armour layers from 28 blue/20 black to 20 blue/12 black, so that there is a non-negligible chance that they do not outlive the user.
- Changed the pistols and shotguns to use fastprojectiles with bullet drop. The bad news: damage output is reduced much more quickly with range. The good news: theoretically if you aim up you can hit a guy with the pump from all the way across Industrial Zone. The ambiguously awful news: you and the shotgun zombies now shoot exactly the same weapon. Better news: It is now possible to one-shot a spectre with the shotgun! Worse news: Possible. Derpy news: Because the projectiles keep getting stopped by corpses and items I'm leaving the DERP as a hitscan.
- Reduced the number of shot in a shell from eight to seven to nerf it at longer ranges.
02 July 2012:
- Bugfix: Got rid of some console errors about misnamed sprites.
- Bugfix: You could not summon "SquadSummoner" for the pickup.
- Bugfix: Forgot to update the inventory-reset code for the forced coop restart.
- Bugfix: You would never face the shotgun zombie who killed you.
- You can now tell the direction of a distant sound.
- Destroyed barrel debris is no longer crushed by doors.
- Removed the +shadow flag on the DERP. It's hard enough to hit as it is.
- Doubled the damage of the particle beam's direct shot.
- Increased gib threshold for all humanoids and imps.
- Gibbed monsters now raise from their gibs! No more politely averting your eyes in repressed embarrassment before getting shot in the back!
- Various updates to the manual.
- Turrettes leave burning debris.
- You can now carry a spare pistol, for when the super-fast reload just isn't fast enough.
- Tweaked the shell pickups so that you no longer lose shells if you're less than 4 away from max. Also reduced shell capacity to 24 as 26 was always a bit awkward.
- Blue and black armour are now just green armour with more points and an extra layer of protection that becomes useless very quickly if hit just the right way. You'll still take about the same amount of initial damage but you'll receive more protection from wounds while it lasts. As this change makes it impossible to pick up armour with the result of making you worse off, armour is picked up instantly just like ammo.
- Scaled down the hand grenade sprites.
- Randomized the scale of the various wall chunks and added some horizontal velocity to those that spawn from bullet puffs. tl;dr they look better.
25 June 2012:
- Bugfix: Liteamp would use 2 units.
- Bugfix: DERPs would attack barrels regardless of actual threat.
- Bugfix: Accidentally disabled HUD scaling.
- Bugfix: Non-grenade rifle still had that slow-deselect effect.
- Bugfix: If you shoot one shot from the SSG while at max shells and then reload, you'd lose the remaining shell instead of merely dropping it.
- Got rid of the upwards momentum when a boss cube would spawn a floating enemy.
- Fullscreen HUD is now substantially different, showing only information for the current weapon.
- Updated the Doomguy "cheat" to remove the D.E.R.P.
- SSG is now left-handed rather than wrong-handed.
- A dry DERP now runs back to its owner.
- The chainsaw now has priority over the fist.
- Added default binds for the new keys. They're just what I happen to use, feel free to suggest something more sensible.
Assault class now spawns with jarate. Nerfed the spectre a bit nonetheless. Also no further risk of inspiring horrible spy/heavy yaoi fanfiction if you know what I mean.
- Barrels now take longer to burn out. Watch your step.
- Same goes for cyberdemons, spider masterminds and boss brains.
- Overhauled the Archvile's Curse.
18 June 2012:
- Bugfix: You could see the actor that was producing the boss brain's quakes.
- Bugfix: Usable shell pickups dropped from fumbled SSG tactical reloads would disappear just like spent shells.
- Added a new starting item: the Defence, Engagement, Reconnaissance and Patrol (D.E.R.P.) robot. Basically it's a pistol wired onto a webcam and treads, made of bullets, aggression and shitty programmer art. Very rare to come by and you can only carry one at a time, so remember to pick it up once it's done! Uses up one pistol mag to deploy, on re-pickup recover whatever's left.
- More changes to the boss brain. Cubes are now actually shot again! (Don't get hit by one.)
- Got rid of the crazy distinctions involving the Hunter's chamber.
- Tweaked barrel effects and made them no longer raisable.
- Got tired of ZDoom's inconsistent-looking pistol sprite and made my own.
- Smoke lasts longer. Doesn't protect you from monsters, but on the bright side it doesn't interfere with your particle beam either.
- Spent casings no longer disappear. If anyone suffers any slowdowns because of this please let me know!
11 June 2012:
- Bugfix: the meds-using animation should no longer continue if you die in the middle of it.
- Bugfix: When consolidating weapons on respawn, shotguns would not be loaded if you died with only "saddled" shells.
- Cleaned up some console error messages.
- Overhauled the summoned marines. They never made sense from a military and logistical perspective, so now they're just explained as magic: literally the spirits of ancient warriors summoned from a talisman to fight by your side - for a little while. They replace the blur sphere instead of being given to you from level start. Have fun!
- On that note, a more important change: the
marines ghostly warriors now clear their hate target every time they enter their see state to let them re-target whatever is in front of them rather than fixating on non-threats.
- Separated the various barrel actors. As a side effect, you can no longer customize the rate of killer barrels spawning. You should not notice any other difference.
- Nerfed the shit out of barons.
- The turrettes now use the boss cube sprite.
- Boss brain tweaked. Now you have to cause it pain five times to kill it regardless of hitpoint damage. Also, it is only limited to spawning monsters without mechanical components (turrette notwithstanding) and is a lot less... clockwork about its shots. Also tweaked its pain and death effects.
- Removed the +shadow flag on healer imps. It had been there for no reason except to make things difficult.
- Beefed up the beam explosion to make it worth using. From a safe distance.
- Stims now make existing wounds worse.
- Scaled down the vulcanette to make it look more reasonable.
- Some tweaks to weapon bobbing.
- Some tweaks to puff and smoke effects.
02 June 2012:
- Uploaded to DRDTeam!
- Bugfix: If you type ID(K)FA and reload the shotgun while at low health, however low your health is your first fistful of shells would contain three.
- Bugfix: If you run out of rocket grenades while holding the ZM66 with underslung, then pick up another rocket grenade, you would not be able reload the GL using the alt reload function unless you switched to another weapon and back.
- Baron is now killable without cheating. More specifically: it does not rapidly regenerate whenever you take cover.
- Slowed down the cloaked spectre - its main power should be not being seen not disappearing entirely.
- The archvile's hellfire attack is now deadly rather than mildly annoying. "I only tested this in God mode."
- Updated the persistent inventory code. Also, I should mention somewhere that now if you exit a map while badly wounded, you do not start the next map bleeding.
- Beefed up the higher-level armours, which I've found myself avoiding since they didn't provide as much long-term protection against bleeding from stray shots.
- While I was at it, gave more armour to the megasphere.
- Further ammo capacity reductions. Also replaced the backpack with black armour until further notice.
- To make up for the ammo limits I've beefed up the rocket launcher. Pros: Doesn't suck in single/coop anymore. Cons: in deathmatch would anyone in their right mind spawn with anything else?
- For the record: in light of the RL improvements and the dedicated slot 9, I had at one point set slot 5 to select the RL before the hand grenades. After the first couple suicides I remembered why I had hand grenades first. I am not going to mess with this again.
- The BFG vileshards are slightly less aggressive and much more obvious.
- The shotgun can now load two shells at a time even if you're rummaging through your pockets for them.
- You may no longer take medications while shooting.
- Per Turbo's customization, used the old armour bar icon for the team indicator.
27 May 2012:
- Bugfix: quakes weren't being played for the grenades.
- Bug"fix": Noticed I totally broke bot support by removing the autoreloads. So... long story short, in a bot's hands the rifle becomes a machine gun and the SSG becomes an autoshotgun, and any enemy bot with a BFG is a top priority target.
- When you altfire the BFG, you now drop a cell pickup instead of adding it to your inventory.
- The "spyctre"'s cloak is no longer perfect. It does, however, target the player much more aggressively and do more damage, including wounding, on any given bite.
- Slightly more contrast between firing the vulcanette in bursts while it is spinning and shooting "cold".
- Dud rockets and stopped grenades on the ground can be kicked aside by walking into them.
- Ready a chaingun. Summon a cacodemon. Shoot it until some time after it has died. Witness the amazing power of technology.
21 May 2012:
- Bugfix: Rifle would still deselect slowly if fired too quickly.
- Bugfix: "hd_doomguy" did not.
- Bugfix: There was no normal status bar.
- Bugfix: SSG was checking for the SG's side saddles for ammo, which meant you could not reload with only SSG side saddle ammo.
- Bugfix: While reloading the pump shotgun with no prepared shells, you'd be reaching into your pocket an additional time at the end of the reload.
- Now when you interrupt a reload by pressing fire you must release the fire button before you can shoot.
- Sped up the rocket launcher's rate of fire by removing the hokey "chambering" animation.
- I can't take it anymore. That 5 is staring at me like some evil thing that should not be. Rifle mag limits are now 6/12 plus whatever is in your guns. Shell limit is now 42/84 plus guns.
- Slowed down the chaingun reload a bit.
- Gave up on stealth monsters. Terrible things. The ninja pirate is completely overhauled. This will be the last time you see it...
- Finally updated hd.txt.
19 May 2012:
- Bugfix: BFG ball still relied on a bit of the old autoreload code. Incidentally, the BFG ball no longer targets its own shooter.
- Bugfix: The "Doomguy" cheat would leave you with all the mags you had.
- Bugfix: Certain weapons would not be given on cheat.
- Significantly lowered the maximum loose ammo you could carry. In addition to all applicable mags you now get 40 rifle rounds, 36 shells, 60 cells, 24 rocket grenades, 24 pistol rounds and 10 hand grenades, double with backpack.
- Further ammo reductions: shotgun now holds 7 shells plus chamber; rifle mags are limited to 5 (10 with backpack); cells are limited to 9 (18 with backpack).
- Added the command +hd_firemode. The only thing it does right now is let you toggle semiauto and auto with the rifle. (Incidentally, I also added a semiauto function to the rifle.)
- The shotgun has its own passive-reload system now: up to 12 shots can be placed in convenient locations on the gun's side saddles (installed on pickup when you're not looking) where you can rapidly load them in the normal fashion; beyond that, you're fumbling for them in your pockets and backpack one at a time.
- Added the command +hd_altreload. Unlike reloading, you won't go to a regular reloading sequence if your alternate ammo is already full or used up. At this time only the grenade rifle is affected.
- As a tentative alternative, however: binding a key to +zoom also lets you reload the underslung GL.
- Got rid of the ACS hack for the reloading controls in favour of ZDoom's now-native support. (And more shadows of that ancient auto-reload evil slain.)
- It's basically been so long since I really did anything with the status bar that everything has been added to SBARINFO that would make it not totally suck. There, now it sucks slightly less. (And yes, I did consider providing a health number, but I got so obsessed over staring at it that I thought it would be better for everyone's mental health to leave the mugshot alone.) Most important change: where applicable, the numbers on the right indicate mags and loose ammo is represented by how much of the icon is red.
- If your mags are maxed out, you can still pick up a mag as loose ammo. I'm not even going to pretend there is an in-character justification for this.
- Increased rocket speed and damage and increased grenade (of both types) explosive power.
- Made the blue magic recovery from wounding a bit more gradual and a tiny bit faster.
- Cyberdemon now has an alternate extreme death, for (marginal) compatibility with maps that require that the player telefrag one.
17 May 2012:
- Bugfix: Cells still used old pickup system.
- Bugfix: Pistol instantly drained all maggable ammo.
- Bugfix: Pistol ammo "icon" wasn't showing in the status bar.
- Bugfix: When you spawn, you would start with 11 spare pistol rounds instead of a 4th full pistol mag.
- The polled have spoken. May the shadow of the auto-reload never darken our days again. This includes the underslung grenade launcher, which can now be reloaded by activating an item ("ZM66GrenadeReloader").
- New weapon bobbing.
- Added slots 8 and 9 for pistol and hand grenades respectively. Do as you will with them.
- Pistol now more likely to alert monsters.
- Super shotgun now ejects both shells on every reload. The change is mostly cosmetic - provided you are at 66 health or higher you are presumed to have the coordination to catch the unspent shell. At low health, or if you don't have space for that extra shell, both shells drop and you'll have to hunt down the unspent shell.
- Increased rocket speed and damage.
- Greatly reduced particle beam explosion damage. You can still kill a cyberdemon without reloading.
- ...if you can survive its slightly faster and more accurate rockets.
- Reduced baron explosion resistance to 70%.
14 May 2012:
- Bugfix: shotgun marine was playing the wrong distant attack sound.
- Bugfix: manual incorrectly stated that you gained a HP every red flicker. You do not.
- Bugfix: green armour provided no protection whatsoever from penetration by shot. The sort of damage you see in this update should, despite how long it has been otherwise, better reflect my original intention.
- Added a new magazine system to the weapons. The explanation's in the manual, but tl;dr if you're out of pistol mags and have a lot of loose rounds, keep the pistol out and don't shoot for a while. If you're out of cell packs, though,
sucks to be you see below.
- Added a new feature to the BFG: you know how you can charge the cells in a BFG from the surrounding Frag energy? Now you can take out those cells and save them! Altfire now unloads one full cell from the BFG, provided you have room and there is a full cell inside. There is a slight momentary green glow as the charged cell is removed; this is not radioactive and exposure to this light will not hurt you. By repeatedly charging, cancelling and unloading, you can soon replenish all your cell ammunition.
- Completely overhauled the plasma rifle into a pulse particle beam. Arachnotron weapons are unaffected.
- Shaved a few tics off the SSG reload animations.
- Shaved a few tics off the SG chamber animation.
- Shaved off a few shots from the rifle before it dips below optimal performance, to 2 rounds from 4.
- Made it a little more obvious when you were loading the pump shotgun chamber. Also now you load the chamber first, getting rid of that unnecessary racking motion you make if you interrupt a reload from empty.
- Brought back the weapon bob, as the original rationale for dropping it is gone and in keeping with my minimal-visual-interference policy.
- Made the shotgun guy and baron a little less instantly lethal upon getting hit.
- To balance out all the above: reduced the SG damage and increased the shotgunguy damage, towards something almost resembling parity. Warning: this means it (often) takes two shots to kill a demon or chaingunguy!
- Thermal damage is no longer equally likely to cauterize your wounds as exacerbate them.
- Here's some fridge logic for you: if the hellspawn could kill marines by any means and any healer imp can raise a loyal supersoldier every bit as good as the original, why are there zombies? Now every raising of a dead marine has a chance of degrading the body until it stabilizes at the level of the weakest zombie type.
- Lowered both the shotgun guy's and the shotgun marine's accuracy a bit.
08 May 2012:
- Bugfix: SSG altfire still had the old jerky
(in both senses) behaviour.
- Corrected this list as per my usual postdated update policy.
06 May 2012:
- Bugfix: If you shoot once with the SSG, then hold primary fire again, the second barrel would fire twice; meanwhile the intended interface - shoot twice slowly if holding, shoot twice rapidly if double-clicking - was not working.
- Reduced the grenade roll.
- Baron no longer invulnerable during its heavy shot, which it uses less often.
- Caco and mage imp no longer invulnerable during their heavy shots. Babies.
- And now to baby this mod even further!: your first shot is no longer thrown off target if you are or have recently been moving - the difference now is only in the amount of recoil. Rocket launcher is now either a subject of future nerfing... or finally actually useful.
- One noticeable ripple effect of this is that the rifle no longer needs a marked disadvantage to set it off from the chaingun. Immediate reloads are no longer hazardous.
- That said, rifle accuracy and power now goes down much faster after the first shot, but the first couple shots hit harder.
03 April 2012:
- "Fullscreen" hud now doesn't have a mugshot.
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author