Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Black flickering means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slyd1r
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
July 21, 2014:
- Lowered rate of flicker on spoon off warning.
- Berserk now lasts much shorter, and you'll probably kill yourself if you use a second before the first totally runs out. To offset this, however your healing potential gain is doubled - if you survive. Good luck!
July 14, 2014:
- Bugfix: Changed the way switching between rifle variants works. Old way, you'd pick up any gun you wanted, then when you selected the rifle you would dump whichever guns you did not select, meaning you could transport 2-3 guns to different places if you turn on "neverswitchonpickup". Now you drop your old gun immediately, and automatically select the new gun if the gun being dropped is the one you have out.
- The exiled bots are now invisible.
- Medikits cause fatigue.
- Got rid of some useless bot-replacer code.
- Just for the record: After a horrifically embarrassing death involving a little spectre, 2 of 3 zombies around a corner dispatched with the SSG, a perfectly timed jam, and a pistol-prohibiting mental state of panic, I think I'll leave the manual pump as default.
July 7, 2014:
- Hotfix: PK7 file had a separate textures.txt that should not have been in there.
- Bugfix: If you were to use altfire on the grenades to pull the pin and drop the spoon, then hold primary fire indefinitely, right after throwing the first grenade you would proceed to pick up and pull the pin on a second, making it very easy to inadvertently throw 2 grenades. Now you must release the primary fire.
- Bugfix: More missing textures referenced in ANIMDEFS.
- Added cvar hd_nobots. If set to true, when you spawn a bot you get a rifleman instead. Also works in deathmatch and teamgames!
- Gave ZM66 priority over SMG when respawning.
- Increased rocket starting impact damage.
- Reduced chaingun cell capacity to 30000 to get around this stupid SBARINFO bug where a bar shows empty if you've got more than 33000 or so of something.
- Switched to a much more minimalistic fire mode HUD.
- Made the "The fuze is lit! Remember to throw!" warning a bit smaller now that we have a blinking warning on the HUD.
June 30, 2014:
- Bugfix: Manual still had a reference to alt reload unloading a mag from the chaingun, when in fact that function is assigned to zoom and alt reload loads a cell.
- Bugfix: You could not actually support your gun on a raised ledge in front of you. Simplified this system to a simple fastprojectile collision check. (For reference, try aiming a chaingun from right behind those little square thingies in the big room in Map01.)
- Bugworkaround: In software mode the scope view for the rifles and Thunder Buster would have a tiny weapon sprite inside it. This is apparently an unavoidable side effect of using a player as a camera. I've added a new actor for each player that now serves as the camera actor.
- Supported chaingun now a little easier to aim.
- Crouching now slightly dips your aim and costs fatigue and movement, but resets your standing angle.
- Added a new warp animation.
June 23, 2014:
- Bugfix: Perfectly point-blank pistol shots had no effect.
- Bugfix: If you left the light amps on, they'd automatically turn off after the normal Doom time limit.
- Lite amps now waste a tiny bit of power every time you turn them on.
- Reduced chaingunguy spread.
- Slight changes to zombieman turn thresholds. They might conceivably be more accurate now.
June 16, 2014:
- Bugfix: SMG referred to nonexistent frame when reloading only from abstracted loose ammo/partial mags.
- Bugfix: Above shitty reload did not actually even work.
- Bugfix: Zombies would often completely skip their pain state animations.
- Bugfix: Raised little-spectres didn't return to fuzzy renderstyle.
- Ghost marines, archangels and friendly marines now draw attention to themselves.
- Archangels now heal one hit whenever they heal. They are now virtually invincible.
- Given that the SMG is not a bullpup, I've upgraded its bulk handling to be equal to a ZM66 with grenade launcher rather than without.
- Added a separate check to see if the NullWeapon had been called for any reason, to remove the delay in switching weapons when you were just holding the weapon down for a moment.
- Doubled chance of shotgun auto failure.
June 9, 2014:
- Bugfix: You were only getting one pistol mag from converting one SMG mag, not two.
- Bugfix: Accidentally moved some old backup and development files into the pk7.
- Added small chance of spontanous jam in auto shotgun, to reflect unpredictable ammo.
- Reduced chance of jamming on ZM66.
- Added a little display on the HUD showing SMG mags next to your pistol mags, mirroring the SMG function.
- Added a little display on the HUD showing side saddle ammo for the shotgun you are not using.
- Zombies and imps wander more now.
June 1, 2014:
- Bugfix: Chaingunguys were always shooting at 2100 RPM, which the player's own weapon was never able to achieve. They now alternate between fire modes randomly.
- Bugfix?????: Reports that the arachnotrons were falling back on player Thunder Buster obituaries. I was not able to replicate this but I did make a minor change based on pure speculation as to what might have been causing it.
- Bugfix???: Reports that every so often all of the player's SMG mags would disappear. I've cleaned up some of the logic in the SMG consolidation code, but I did not see anything in the old code that would have caused this.
- Chaingun now uses cell energy to spin! One cell pack provides for 32 continuous minutes of spinning. The gun is also noticeably heftier now.
- Chaingun's ROF now defaults to 700 RPM, the same as all other full-auto weapons. This speeds up to 2100 RPM by changing fire modes.
- Swapped chaingun ammo management keys. Now loading a cell is bound to the alternate reload key, while zoom unloads an unused mag.
- You can now short-stroke the shotgun. To avoid doing this, HOLD the altfire when racking.
- Shotgun can now fire in semiauto! Do not mash your fire button too quickly or it WILL jam!
- Light amps can now be turned on and off. Picking one up gives you 20 minutes' worth of light amplification; if it runs out, next use you will charge it with your cell ammo for up to 40 minutes' worth.
- Slight tweaks to chaingun recoil.
- For clarity but including without limitation: shotgun guys can now fire in semiauto. :)
- Minor balancing tweak to the BFG. The effect is randomized but should average out.
- Increased pistol spare ammo capacity to 50, matching the Liberator rounds.
- If you have the SMG out, you will now consolidate SMG mags while idle, not pistol mags.
- You can now convert SMG mags into pistol mags! Both use the zoom key, the same way you cannibalize side saddle ammo between the two shotguns.
- SMGs and SMG ammo now have a chance to spawn in place of clipboxes.
- Pickup messages no longer treat 4.26mm UAC Standard as an unmarked default not even worth specifying.
- Gave some extra loose rounds to the Enforcer.
May 25, 2014:
- Bugfix: The chaingunguy never had idle regeneration the way other zombies do.
- Bugfix: Some people mentioned a while back that the player translations did not work properly when running HD with other mods that had their own palettes, because they used separate PNGs instead of unpaletted Doom graphics. The optimization described below should fix that.
- Old shotgunguy obituary is now back by popular demand, with a new hitobituary to boot!
- Increased the threshold for ZM66 cookoff.
- Got rid of the annoying spin-down time when firing the chaingun in semi. Its only function was to make it worse than the ZM66 and didn't really make a whole lot of sense.
- Nazis now shoot SMGs.
- Converted various WAVs to OGGs.
- Converted all sprites and graphics - except crosshairs - to Doom WADs instead of individual PNGs. Download size of the file is back down to the 500ks.
- Removed a few sprites that were nothing but recolours of existing Doom sprites, in favour of TEXTURES.
May 19, 2014:
- Bugfix: Expanded the zombie distance/aim thing to NPC marines.
- Bugfix: Liquid warping crashed on Doom 1 due to missing textures.
- Bugfix: Forgot to add SMG to HUD arms displays.
- Bugfix: SMG had a reference to a non-existent frame in its "nothing to do, move along" reload abort animation.
- Bugfix: The actor used to control alternate reloads would be taken away every so often, making it impossible to combine mags for the SMG.
- Added proper TEXTURES definitions so the hole on the SMG mag isn't twice as wide as the one on the pistol mag.
- Tweaked SMG mag-merge sequence. Hopefully the audio cue is a little better at indicating what is going on.
- Slowed down the rifle-jackboot's attack rate somewhat.
- Increased Thunder Buster ammo usage slightly.
- Pistol sights may now be used while you have the lite-amps on.
- Changed BFG, chainsaw and chaingun bobbing to Doom-style.
- Some cosmetic mapinfo stuff.
May 17, 2014:
- Bugfix: manual said pistol was caseless.
- Bugfix: undead rifleman was still using the shitty old shooting code.
- Bugfix: drunk imp doing cover fire would occasionally turn to face the out-of-sight player, ruining the whole effect.
- Bugfix: zombies took less time to aim from a great distance than up close. Should be the other way around.
- Added an SMG! Some zombiemen also use this (in fact right now it's the only way to get one short of selecting the appropriate loadout). Second weapon in slot 2.
- Changed pistol bob.
- Added a slight delay when switching to any weapon that must be held with both hands.
- Chainsaw beatings shall not continue until morale improves.
- Added a new, helmeted jackboot, as an excuse to add more ZM66 ammo in shotgunguy-heavy maps especially now that zombiemen are spread between ZM66 and SMG. To make up for their significantly lower stopping power on any given hit, they are much more aggressive, use only the ZM66's unique salvo ability and have 10 more hitpoints.
- Increased zombie maxtargetrange.
- Added a new passing-by sound for the pistol bullet, using the old plasma rifle distant sound.
May 12, 2014:
- Bugfix: Arachnotrons would drop the main Cell actor, which would be randomly replaced with Liberator mags and Brontornis shells. (the turrettes were left in on purpose though they are now removed along with this bugfix.)
May 5, 2014:
- Idle barons no longer wander.
- Shotgun guys' random aim spread very slightly decreased on average.
- Berserk overhauled. Now each use does much less wounding and regenerates a few more hitpoints, but your increased strength only lasts a little longer than your regeneration.
- Plasma zoom now requires cells to be loaded and drains the cells after extended use (1 unit/h).
- BFG alternate reload now loads only one cell, letting you charge up the rest without accidentally fully loading the gun and risking an extraction.
- Made the plasma sight picture larger on screen but same resolution. You see more with this more clearly than any other scope, but the picture is grainier.
- Trying out a bit of liquid flat warping.
May 4, 2014:
- Bugfix: BFG did not handle loose ammo correctly while reloading, checking for 41 units instead of 21. Also didn't do something crucial during the implicit cell-removal portion.
- Bugfix: Ghost marine grenade could occasionally drift into the ceiling while exploding, creating an infinitely recursive explosion that would leak and break the game.
- While fixing the above bug, decided to get rid of fragments for ghost marine grenades altogether. The entire explosion is a single-hitpoint illusion. It does, however, as an illusion always cause pain.
- Finally decided on what to do with cell ammo consolidation. Now, between maps, you try to charge up a few cellpacks to maximum using several of the others connected together, costing you 30 units to charge up a single full 20-unit pack. However, the BFG if you have it takes priority, and you now load 1 cellpack if necessary and charge the BFG to max. You are not assumed to try to unload the BFG at any point because you know why.
- Degraded shotgun guys' aim from "pretty fuckin' sweet" to "not too horrible usually". (A little more "stormtrooper-like", if you will, for the purpose of this early update.)
- Idle barons now wander like other monsters.
April 28, 2014:
- Bugfix: HEAT ammo counter sprite was in the wrong place on automap and fullscreen HUDs.
- Bugfix: Massive logic fail in dealing with picking up a stored DERP if you already had a DERP and needed ammo, or if you had full ammo and needed a DERP.
- You can no longer use sights while using the light amp goggles.
- HUD armour bar now has black trim.
- Barons now release only 4 shards instead of 8 when killed, meaning that they cannot raise themselves to full power even theoretically without external input.
April 14, 2014:
- Bugfix: Injector HUD sprites not showing up correctly on "fullscreen" HUD.
- Lowered the lit-fuze warning on the screen.
April 7, 2014:
- Manual updated to get rid of last vestiges of shitty old skill names.
- Select-fire ZM66 slightly more likely to jam than semi.
- Semi ZM66s are now dropped rather than destroyed when you pick up an auto.
April 1, 2014:
- Big gore update! All deaths updated with fresh graphics based on real dead people. Plasma deaths have built-in black people jokes, and added a secret explosive/gas weapon (slot 88) that causes jaundice and swelling of eyelids.
- Icon of Sin can only be destroyed if you hit it exactly 3 times with 3 different weapons, to symbolize the Holy Trinity. (An alternate boss requiring 6 hits, one with each of the 2 modes on a given weapon, to symbolize the dual nature of Christ, will be available in the Russian-language-only "Old Believer" expansion pack.)
- Bugfix: Injured players' views would flicker randomly and they would lose health until they used a medikit. Not sure what caused that, but it's gone now.
- All weapons now get updated voxel graphics. Note that because of the fixed view it is very hard to notice.
- Archvile flames now recite verses from the Holy Qur'an before exploding.
- ...in Japanese.
- Pinky demons are now a metaphor for British colonialism and white privilege.
- Replaced E3M8 plasma rifle with Galadriel's Phial.
- Final boss arena added, an open featureless field in which you fight one archvile for each and every time you've ever teleported, charged or shot a BFG, or killed something using a barrel.
March 31, 2014:
- Clarified what the 3 co-op modes are in the manual.
March 24, 2014:
- Bugpossiblyfix??????: HD desyncs upon re-entering the level after a wipeout. Added a "terminate" immediately after the co-op wipe-out Teleport_NewMap call. The enter-repeat script also terminates once you have the "WipedOut" item, which might also remove a source of desync.
March 17, 2014:
- Bugfix: Idle spectres would occasionally suddenly flash out of sight without cloaking properly.
- Most spectres are now replaced with a fuzzy babuin.
- Spectres, now being much rarer, play a bit more conservatively.
- Increased drop rate for medikits.
- Slight tweaks to healing item numbers. Stimpacks less dangerous to use.
- Added a help screen.
January 13, 2014:
- Bugfix: Forgot to mention Icytux as the originator of the pinky sprite edit.
- Bugfix: Player standing state spilled over into running state.
- Added the built-in ZDoom crouched death animations.
- Minor tweaks to the bullet puffs.
- Trees now spawn in random sizes and can catch fire.
January 6, 2014:
- Bugfix: Brontornis was immune to movement aiming randomization.
- Bugfix: Pain elemental was moving too fast with the extra A_Chase calls.
- Bugfix: It was possible to get the same boss brain message a couple times in a row.
- Bugfix: All boss cube spawns were friendly??? lol idek
- Arachnotrons now retreat into safe range before attacking.
- Added a sound to the particle beam target so you know if someone or something is shooting.
- Scaled launched grenades down to speed 90 from 120.
- Added the sprites from IMX's excellent Demonicron for the babuins.
- Babuins now check their leap path to minimize the risk of infighting.
- Randomized the apparent size of some of the "naked" mooks - babuin, spectre, caco, imp, skull and PE - to make groups of them look more "horde" and less "phalanx". Side effect: easier to keep track of bets during babuin infighting.
- Moved the pain elemental, spectre and lost soul DECORATE code so the lost soul isn't arbitrarily lumped together with the spectre.
- Cyberdemon rockets no longer subject to gravity. It's just too complex for me to figure out how to get it to aim up after a certain range.
- Cleaned up the cyberdemon aiming and movement a bit.
- Tweaked the look of the mancubus fire.
- Added randomized spawn scale and state to hell knights. Barons just keep their corporeal forms dignifiedly hidden until used.
- Baron balls no longer seek as aggressively.
- Barons leave shards when they die. Theoretically this can make them impossible to kill permanently, but fortunately they're not that smart.
- Rewrote the BFG fluff because the bad German in the old version was just too unbearably awkward.
- Added some weaving to the BFG ball. It now also avoids hitting floor and ceiling to some extent.
- Increased spider mastermind target range to 2048.
- Added randomized scale for archies.
- Changed the boss brain message system so I no longer need to worry about messages crossing each other.
- Boss brain's stated agenda is now explicit.
- "Pistol start hack" check now works against all four players.
- Boss brain gives you free BFG ammo with every cube.
- Added description of basic unarmed attacks to manual.
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author