Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Bright red haze means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits (or, if no medikits, weapon slot 9) to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload. Hold to keep the mag.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slydir
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
November 16, 2015:
- Tweaked mage imp's fan attack slightly.
- Blue potion occasionally replaces squad summoner.
- Tweaked stepping-down antenna to spawn at a slightly steeper angle. Should be a bit less sensitive now.
- Stims now remove a chunk of fatigue upon use. Your journey is now a bit less taxing.
November 2, 2015:
- Got rid of the headshots. While the principle of how to achieve them was interesting, it just required too many hacks and exceptions to work right.
- Raised minimum for ascending slowdown to 10 (formerly 6).
October 26, 2015:
- Hotfix: Bugfix: Bullets were doing half damage now that piercing is gone. I've simply doubled all values this update.
- Hotfix: Bugfix: The way bullets stuck around after dealing headshot damage, they kept making whoosh/crack noises on the spot.
- Hotfix: Changed headshots to a single extra lump of damage caused by a separate actor.
- Bugfix: Forgot that the correct flag for puffs not blood-splattering was +bloodlessimpact not +noblood.
- Bugfix: Injector could be used to heal any shootable actor, even if inorganic. Which was silly. Even for HD. There is now a blacklist for specific actors that meds would not work on. This includes green-bloods, cyborgs and all flyers.
- Centered some more smoke/explosion effects to minimize the smoke-on-platform bug. Minimize, not eliminate.
- Got rid of piercing bullets.
- Added headshots.
- Mandatory rocket science/brain surgery jokes added.
October 19, 2015:
- Bugfix: Long weapon collisions still in effect when you switched to melee/null weapon and the long weapon itself did not remove the collision checker on deselect.
- You can now sprint in all directions.
- DECORATE forwardmove and sidemove are now identical for both run and walk - the bonus to moving forwards only is now handled by ACS. Relatedly, the player has been slowed down globally.
- Backwards movement is now a bit faster.
- Thunder Buster zoom mode now has a little HUD indicator that blinks when your target is within (primary) zapping range.
- Medical station can now treat lethal damage.
- Added toggle run/walk to the HD keys menu. It's not actually a new HD key, of course, but apparently the default GZDoom menu doesn't have it.
- You can now sprint continuously for much longer, but once you stop you cannot start again until you have substantially recovered from your fatigue.
- You can now be much more fatigued and still do leaps and mantles.
- Maximum sprint/run fatigue are now bound to health.
- Reinstated stumbling antenna. Works with bridge actors now. No corpses this time, nor extra fatigue. Lifts are still broken, as apparently when you're on a lift, no matter how fast it's going, your z velocity is still zero (or -2 due to gravity) according to the game engine, so the antennae never manage to account for the lift.
- You now risk dropping your weapon (and ammo, maybe I should reconsider that) when you fall from a very great height.
- There's a tiny, tiny little fatigue indicator to the lower left of the inventory item indicator.
- Replaced John Romero's head with Stephen Harper's for this election day release. (special technical note: I did not actually do this.)
October 13, 2015:
- Bugfix: Bossbrain-hack exits didn't work as the boss brain was never vulnerable.
- Injector now also involves lethal and aggravated damage.
- New player third-person walking state when stunned.
- Reduced fatigue jiggle at lower levels.
- Running now slowly gains fatigue even above the ordinary minimum.
- Reduced fatigue consumption by sprinting to about 1/3.
October 5, 2015:
- Bugfix: Medikits actually caused lethal damage where they should have cured it.
Doubled chance of medikit use affecting lethal damage.
- Bugfix: Injector and self-bandage were droppable.
- Bugfix: If you held on to the sprint key and did nothing else, you would not recover fatigue.
- Bugfix: The late-death-animation check for crouching would not give the correct results, resulting in a crouched-death corpse appearing where the normal corpse should have appeared. Now there is a wholly independent death state for dying while crouched.
- Temporarily disabled the up/down stepping slowdowns due to insurmountable (no pun intended) problems with bridge actors and descending (but oddly enough, not ascending) lifts. I suspect no one will miss it while I try to get it working non-shittily.
- Shrank down the Brontornis and Brontornis round and casing graphics.
- Set arachnotron maxtargetrange and max attack range to 2048 (as the default for A_CustomBulletAttack).
- You now gain fatigue while moving while overencumbered.
- Got rid of the little fence around the front of the range, in favour of a big fence around the entire range area. Outside is just water now.
- Thunder Buster can no longer airburst.
September 28, 2015:
- Hotfix: A couple instances of BLSGD/E0 remained in the DECORATE.
- Bugfix: Gibbed player would leave crouching corpse instead of gibs.
- New scope view for the Boss to match the sprite.
- Removed some apparently unused old crosshair graphics.
- Tweaked baron skull shot aesthetics and reduced explosion radius.
- New Brontornis sprite!
- Added a bit more visual recoil to the Boss when firing unsupported.
- There is now a distinction between run/walk modes. The former is the regular 21kph that we had before the previous update; the latter is 7kph representing a brisk walk. You do not recover stamina while running, and walking is both proportionally faster for strafing and lets you retain your sight-aiming for a step or two. Sprint speed should be more or less identical more or less.
- Increased max sprint fatigue to 100 from 64, and max ordinary-run fatigue to 64 from 48.
- You no longer get sights if you are overfatigued and your weapon is not braced.
- Updated player animations to look a bit more natural. A bit.
September 21, 2015:
- Bugfix: Forgot to align BLOPA0.
- Bugfix: Vulcanette drop-one would drop rockets rather than cells along with ZM66 mags.
- Bugfix: Vulcanette and Lumberjack did not count as cell weapons for drop/purge.
- Bugfix: Boss rifle would always spawn an additional clip if dropped.
- Bugfix: Liberator manual chambering did not check for whether there were any rounds left to chamber.
- Bugfix: Thunder Buster also spawned cell when dropped.
- Bugfix: Some maps (e.g., After The Holocaust) for whatever reason prevented the Spawn call for the scope camera actor from working. Now using SpawnForced.
- Slayer recoil when both barrels are fired at once now skews to the left not the right.
- Readjusted some projectile speeds now that I am more thoroughly convinced that 1 horizontal DU = 1 inch. (Contra Doom Metrics, 16 DUs is significantly larger than 1 foot. Go to the range, noclip to the stack of little 16-DU crates, and summon a rifleman right next to it.)
- Slight increase to Brontornis recoil zoom.
- Slowed down the doomguy pursuant to said metrics.
- Made shotgun damage drop off much more drastically after the first 3 tics (42m).
- Changed the cameras to have their TIDs start at -31999. This does not fix the bug in After The Holocaust and I haven't the slightest clue why.
- New bolt-action rifle sprites! Chambering state is now a bit slower.
September 14, 2015:
- Bugfix: My subsequent reworking of the ZM66 burst logic somehow unfixed the lack of animation on the semi. Re-fixed.
- Bugfix: Got rid of the decorations that would also signal to the trees to start screaming.
- Bugfix: Corrected some proportions for the horizontally-lyign empty mags.
- Bugfix: Actor "HangTSkull" was not replaced by its intended replacement.
- Bugfix: Hanging dead body decorations were the wrong height.
- Had more smoke effects spawn well within their originating actor to minimize the chances of smoke spawning on a nearby platform, ledge, windowsill, etc. 50 feet above the blast.
- Bugfix: Infinite loop if you hit alt reload while the vulcanette had full cell power.
- hd_purge now gets rid of dud rockets if you do not have IED kits.
- Added debris to particle beam explosion.
- Recoded a few decorations (mostly trees and smoke) to take advantage of negative X scaling.
- Some significant, long overdue tweaks to the appearance of the archvile flames.
- Adjusted some debris positioning, speed and scaling.
- Removed arbitrary caps on how many weapons you can carry.
- Archangels no longer drop megaspheres upon death.
- Added new command: hd_dropone, which lets you drop one unit of each type of ammo that applies to your current weapon. If the ammo is typically counted by mag but you don't have any full mags, you drop all your loose ammo instead.
- Made vulcanette cell reload just a little slower.
- Fresh undead riflemen now occasionally replace chaingun guys. They don't shoot as often, but they're a bit more accurate and they take more damage before going down - you might even say the enemy has summoned a slightly meatier swarm.
- Shotgun is now a lot louder.
- Chaingunguy now occasionally drops cells.
- Large baron ball now only intermittently seeks, rather than seeking almost constantly.
September 7, 2015:
- Bugfix: You could fire the Brontornis again before the reload sequence properly ended.
- Bugfix: Exit puff didn't angle where I thought it would.
- Bugfix: Penetrating bullets, upon penetration, started off at a speed that was a multiple of their muzzle velocity, which meant that they gained speed by penetrating through something. The mass property (which stores the muzzle speed) is now updated during such degradation.
- Bugfix: I'm not sure why I thought splitting the bullet damage into two hitdice meant I had to divide the minimum damage by 4 for each of the new dice. They're now 1/2 - still a flatter curve than before the penetrating bullets and a slightly higher average.
- Bugfix: Manually chambering the Liberator made no sound.
- Bugfix: A bullet hitting a target after piercing a wall would do less than half its original damage, as the entirety of the first stage is wasted on the wall. Now bullets double their damage upon piercing anything other than a shootable actor (after the 10% reduction of course).
- Bugfix: Added a check to make sure the point of emergence for a bullet is valid before continuing with the piercing sequence. The good news: No more puffs that snap to the top of a crate. The bad news: piercing distances are much shorter than the numbers would suggest; no more "fake" exit holes.
- Bugfix: Grenade wallchunk spawner was failing to spawn chunks as it was being spawned too low.
- Bugfix: ZM66 recoil animation wasn't playing for semi and burst.
- Shotgun wall penetration is now comparable to the pistol (SSG and pistol are both 7; SG is 6, equal to the 4mm rifle at its highest velocity), but drops off significantly after the first tic.
- Added ricochets. You are extremely unlikely to see one.
- Trees now only scream when planted in blood, lava or snakes.
- Got rid of the extra wounding from piercing bullets.
- Slight increase to shotgun damage - now it is just enough to almost guarantee a one-shot against any babuin.
- Changed the way shotgun spread works - the pellets used to thrust forwards at different angles, now they thrust forward at the same angle but have randomized velocity added to them.
- Eventually decided that the Nazis were real physical beings rather than demonic phantasms, mostly for game balance (ammo) purposes, and thus gave them casings and actual mags.
- Replaced shellboxes with a random spawner.
- Recoloured the turrettes to make them look less like actual invisibility powerups.
- Changed how burst recoil works on the ZM66. Recoil now happens 1 tic earlier.
- Tweaked turrette movement. They now also can no longer push each other (or anything else).
- Added a slight gradation to the forward jump for when you have no running start.
August 31, 2015:
- Bugfix: Buckshot used speed instead of mass to store its muzzle velocity information, causing glitches such as being invisible within a certain distance.
- Bugfix: Wrong dud rocket actor given to roboticist and insurgent.
- Scaled down the bullet sprites.
- So I was reading this the other day and... bullets can now pierce through walls! Minimum is nothing (shotguns, Brontornis) and maximum 17 DUs (Boss rifle). Please note that 9mm penetrates further than 4mm notwithstanding the lower damage. Most obvious way to see how this works: Liberator spam from Map04 spawn.
August 24, 2015:
- Bugfix: Blooper sprite missing in fullscreen HUD. Also wrong position.
- Bugfix: Airburst bar missing from fullscreen HUD.
- Bugfix: Airburst bar hidden behind HUD weapon sprite if turned on. Sprite now appears behind everything else.
- Bugfix: GL rifle could not cool off and had infinite ammo.
- Bugfix: Holding fire on an empty SMG would make it vibrate.
- Got rid of some more of the old firemode spaghetti.
- IED kit capacity raised to 24. The things aren't too big.
- Bullets and grenade fragments are now visible. If you're having trouble believing me, use the pistol, find a long dark area, set fov to something ridiculously low, turn off cl_capfps, and don't aim at anything light grey.
- Big wall chunks no longer appear from exploding grenades when they are bursting in the air and not apparently chunking any walls (or floors).
- Minor tweaks to smoke effects.
- Greatly reduced buckshot impact sound.
- Started consolidating all the various bullet actors into inheriting from a single "HDBullet" actor. There may be some glitches resulting from this.
August 17, 2015:
- Bugfix: Blooper missing on many HUD elements.
- Bugfix: Rockets weren't exploding. The explosion decorations with their sub-explosions are there, and the fragmentation is there, but the rockets were missing their own A_Explode call that carry most of their stopping power.
- Contractor also has a blooper, making them one of the most overencumbered classes in the mod.
- Airburst control added for underslung grenade launchers.
- Turning on the nobleed cheat resets all wounds as well as lethal and aggravated damage.
- Restored the difference in explosion size between rockets depending on whether they were fired as rockets or grenades. The difference is much smaller though.
- IEDs now have a passive mode. Type iedpassive to toggle. Keybinds are also available in the menu.
- Completely overhauled how alt reload and fire mode work for all weapons. Most of this should be "under the hood", except for one difference: you can now hold fire mode to "charge up" the airburst distance. As usual with these overhauls, let me know if anything's broken.
August 10, 2015 hotfix:
- Bugfix: HUD updates from last update didn't get copied over to fullscreen HUD.
- Airburst now added! Hit fire mode select to cycle through. Shooting, altfire, or loading or unloading a HEAT will clear the setting. HEAT rounds themselves completely ignore this setting.
- There is no longer any distinction between grenade and rocket mode in explosion size. The unspent propellant now just breaks into burning chunks.
August 10, 2015:
- Bugfix: Bracketing error made HERP unnecessarily cumbersome.
- Bugfix: Some zombies still had the old gibbed floor check which could result in a zero-length infinite loop.
- Bugfix: Meds gave rather than healed lethal damage, while stims had no effect either way. Stims now (occasionally, rarely) give lethal damage, while meds (occasionally, less rarely if you're not rapidly stimming yourself) can heal lethal damage.
- Bugfix: If you had no round chambered in your Liberator but had it set to full auto, pressing and holding the fire button would have you chamber and immediately begin shooting, which made no sense. The fix barely makes any more sense and is one of my more shameful bits of overengineered spaghetti. Forgive me.
- Bugfix: You would only take lethal+agg damage one time upon your zerk running out, no matter how many berserk packs you've actually injected. Now you take that damage hit for every time you have injected - but still only upon running out.
- Bugfix: For want of setting A_NoBlocking, non-marine monsters that spawn dead would remain shootable after being gibbed.
- Bugfix: Clean duds would disappear.
- Turrettes are now completely non-solid.
- Zerk now gives you (mostly) lethal rather than aggravated damage.
- Brontornis is now a cased, saboted round. The discarded casing inherits the player colour.
- Re-implemented some old sounds! Super shotgun is now used for the Brontornis, and a version of DSSHOTGN with the racking sound cut off is now used for both shotguns.
- Rifle shots are now down to 11025Hz to match most of the other sounds. Brass is still 22500 because setting that to 11025 is horrible.
- Made SSG buckshot a bit faster and more uniform in speed. Left in the code for the sawed-off shotgun blast, don't use it it sucks.
- Berserk fist can now gib corpses.
- New (or at least slightly rearranged) RL pickup sprite!
- Added the Blooper. Spawned with by Enforcer, Infiltrator and Grenadier. Occasionally replaces RL and super shotgun.
- hd_doomguy command is now available in encumbrance mode, but only as a cheat.
- Bandage and inject are now both slot 9 (bandage first).
- Hand grenades are now slot 0.
- "Null" weapons with no special raise state now raise and lower instantly.
- You can now detonate all the IEDs you have out by typing "detonate" in the console. Note that this does not work for IEDs that are still booting up.
- Armour removed as a potential replacer for backpacks.
- Spider masterminds now shoot at 4200 RPM.
August 3, 2015:
- Bugfix: Finally discovered the cause of the "double scream" bug! It is the turn script setting the player to their See state, apparently when turning to face the enemy upon death. Added a check to make sure the player's health is positive before that state is set.
- Bugfix: Rocket spawn smoke was on the ground. Also looked like ass.
- Bugfix: Gibbed imp can turn into ungibbed, indestructible, nonshootable dead imp if it drops off a ledge.
- Bugfix: Incomprehensible logic (or lack thereof) in damaged HERP pickup code. You should now be able to recover all ammo.
- Healer imp significantly less likely to spawn a shard.
- Added long-term lethal and aggravated damage. The latter can only be healed supernaturally by the blue stuff (which heals everything), while the former can be healed by many, many medikits (and also goes down by one every level change). Untreated lethal damage may gradually heal or become aggravated damage.
- Dead robots no longer encumber you, because I can't be bothered to code dropping them right now.
- New gun sounds! ZM66, shotguns/Brontornis and big rifles respectively get sounds from P90, SPAS-12, and M1 Garand. Brass is brass.
- You can now gib corpses with bullets. A tediously large number of bullets.
- Slowing down caused by corpses is no longer random, but happens all the time.
- Increased Brontornis final detonation damage, but reduced its capacity to one shot. You can, however, immediately reload after shooting.
- Babuins can now be gibbed.
- Turrettes are now solid.
- Dud rocket ammo, if dropped (you still need to use the drop command to do this) now has no risk of exploding.
- Dead robots can now also be dropped using the drop command. Actor names are "HERPDEAD" and "DERPDEAD".
July 20, 2015:
- Bugfix: If you equipped the rad suit, then dropped it, the powerup remained active.
- Bugfix: Same thing with the lite amp.
- Bugfix: Berserk packs weren't replaced.
- Bugfix: You could not shoot the underslung grenade launcher while the ZM66 was overheated.
- Bugfix: Didn't think through the backpack replacements. Backpacks are now occasionally replaced with other things. (This is the only way you'll see a Boss rifle ingame, by the way.)
July 13, 2015:
- Bugfix: It should be pk7 again.
- Berserk packs are no longer ever replaced by HEAT rockets. Related, HEAT rockets spawn slightly more often where rocket boxes spawn now, and when they do, the rocket box spawns as well.
- Berserk packs now occasionally are found inside backpacks.
July 6, 2015:
- Bugfix: Picking up a dropped SMG even while you already had an SMG would randomize your fire select.
- Bugfix: Chaingunners could track a target with an accuracy far, far beyond what the vulcanette handling or mechanics would imply. They're now a good deal slower and less able to track you while they shoot.
June 29, 2015:
- Bugfix: Confused the priorities whether to use live or dud rockets for IEDs.
- Bugfix: BFG charging could destroy your armour.
- Bugfix: Forgot that using medikits would give you a huge clump of fatigue that, with the new system, could also create new wounds. Screw it, I'm replacing the fatigue-wound thing with stunning instead.
- Bugfix: If you had a fully loaded GL-less ZM66 and a broken round, you could not clear the jam by hitting Reload.
- Using stims on others no longer guarantees a wound.
- Gave player vertical leap again. Leap forward is generally much more powerful.
- Reduced forward sprint speed slightly. Now you can no longer injure yourself just by sprinting into a wall.
- Added a new feature: stunning. Your movement is capped at 40% and you can't sprint. Usually only happens after a hard landing or using meds.
June 22, 2015:
- Bugfix: You could forward leap onto a raised platform, then mantle over it mid-leap, then leap from the platform mid-mantle, all while holding the jump key, letting you launch from the platform at a ridiculous speed. This should not be that easy to do. Changed it so that your forward leap can only be done once per keypress.
- Recoloured the pistol mag sprite so that it's more clearly differentiated from the SMG mag. Sorry guys, no technical engine limitation here, I just don't see any setting reason to make them interchangeable.
- Dropping shotguns with the custom key no longer drops side saddle ammo. Same goes for loaded plasma cells and chaingun mags.
- Broke down the every-tic loop into more manageable chunks.
- Trying to make the speed adjustments a bit more coarse-grained to minimize the movement prediction lurch. I don't think it was particularly successful. Also, now straferunning works again when not sprinting, though you can only sprint forwards now.
- Excess fatigue now becomes bleeding wounds, or if bleeding is off, damage. This should generally be unnoticeable outside of falling from great heights.
- Circumstances of your speed changes are now quite different. Weapon distinctions are much coarser and you have a bigger penalty while using the radsuit.
- BFG loading changed. Now alt reload unloads; tap the reload key to load one cell only, but hold reload to load 2 at a time.
June 8, 2015:
- Bugfix: Archvile pain was throwing the player into ridiculous trajectories due to some new development involving Radius_Quake. Seemed to be a problem with the spiderdemon as well All Radius_Quake calls in DECORATE have now been replaced with A_Quake.
- Bugfix: Archvile pain state should have ended with setting -NOPAIN but set +NOPAIN instead.
- Bugfix: Dropping chaingun and picking it back up would cause it to be raised while still spinning.
- Bugfix: You would not be flagged as having green armour if you started naked and picked up a blue or black, even though it ought to have been included.
- Chainsaw no longer pauses when you deselect - the turning-off is just part of the lowering motion.
- Dropped SMGs are now set to a random fire mode.
- Armed IEDs can now be dismantled and the IED kit recovered for reuse.
- You can now use good rockets instead of duds for IEDs if you have no duds.
- If you disarm an IED and have no room for the resulting dud in your inventory, and the dud ends up detonating and killing you, that now counts as a suicide.
- Arachnotrons can now use the plasma alt fire. Not well, but they can use it.
- Reduced arachnotron radius to reflect its body rather than its maximum leg span. Yes, I know this means the sprite clips into walls, I don't really care.
- Similarly slimmed down the mancubus.
May 25, 2015:
- Bugfix: Vulcanette offset would not reset after ejecting a mag while shooting. Reduced the offset amount while I was at it.
- Bugfix: IED kit had super pickup sound.
- Bugfix: Deadrifleman skipped gibbing check after the initial falling.
- Bugfix: Apparently SXF_ABSOLUTEPOSITION in the gun smoker actor did not do what I thought it would do. I still don't know what it did. It's gone.
- Bugfix: Exploding barrels could not gib corpses.
- Bugfix: Picking up a map prevented you from picking up a map in another level.
- Bugfix: Finally got rid of that blank BEHAVIOR lump that was spitting out that error message on the range.
- Added some inaccuracy to the Vulcanette while it is spinning.
- Plasma alt no longer airbursts.
- Sight picture is now removed when you're holding down fire with no ammo and tilting the plasma gun.
- Plasma alt can now gib corpses.
- Plasma alt can now go up to 1024 DUs, and starts getting less powerful after 400 DUs.
- Violently disabling IEDs is now a matter of chance rather than damage. Shooting them tends to give more reliable results.
- Minor tweaks to fire. Slightly harder to put out now.
Changed sprinting so that you can only sprint forward. You can sprint further though, by about 10m give or take. Nope. Just can't get it to work right - either you go ridiculously fast or take ridiculously long to accelerate. (What I was trying to do was to replace a mere moving speed increase with actually throwing the player up and forwards to replicate actual sprinting. A lot more complex than I might have assumed.)
- Greatly reduced recoil increase when firing on the move.
- Plasma fire mode switching now takes a bit longer, while attempting to shoot while empty no longer gives you an awkward pause before you may switch or reload.
- Pack of IED kits now has doomednum 23022.
May 18, 2015:
- Bugfix: SMG marines had the same drops defined as rifle marines.
- Bugfix: SMG and rifle marines were dropping empty weapons instead of drop pickups.
- Bugfix: Picking up extra chainsaws increased loaded ammo directly.
- Bugfix: Dud rockets could not gib corpses when exploding.
- Zoomed scope views are now significantly bigger.
- If your weapon is braced and you are aiming within a small threshold, your mouse sensitivity is reduced to 1/3.
- Your turn speed also fluctuates if you are fatigued or badly injured, and is tripled if you are berserk.
- Greatly reduced gun smoke effects.Vulcanette targets should always be visible.
- Pistol now uses ZDoom's own pistol sprite.
- Reduced ZM66 horizontal muzzle climb.
- You can now brace a pistol.
- Increased max sprint fatigue. Not quite the 20-25% asked for, but should be noticeable.
- Reduced staggering at low health.
- Greatly reduced pistol bullet whoosh sound.
- New Thunder Buster attack! Use altfire to switch to and from a "flamethrower" mode that breaks up the beam for some nasty, relatively giant-explosion-free CQB chaos! (Zoom key activates zoom as usual.)
- Grenadier now also spawns with 3 HEAT rockets.
- Dud rocket grenades can now be picked up.
- Added IEDs! Available through Roboticist and sometimes Insurgent, and the occasional ammo box.
May 11, 2015:
- Bugfix: Killer barrels would be rendered with different floor clipping due to the +ismonster flag. They are now de-flagged for "ismonster" upon spawning (they would spawn despite -nomonster if I'd simply defined them that way). Side effect: friendlies won't know to attack them unless directly provoked (i.e., hit).
- Bugfix: hd_purge key was misnamed as purging weapons and ammo, rather than ammo for which you had no weapon.
- Bugfix: Blood would only go in one general cardinal direction. Added +puffgetsowner which I think fixes things unless the RNG is feeding my confirmation bias.
- Added visual effect: blood actually comes out of you when you're bleeding. Only visible on chase cam or multiplayer.
- Added some miscellaneous decoration (re)definitions. Should be easier to shoot around techlamps and torches, while making hitscan versus projectile behaviour more consistent.
- Made blood effects more visible.
- Added some new arbitrary behaviours for the wonderfully silly and arbitrary floating skull rock. Won't attack you, but don't punch it.
May 4, 2015:
- Bugfix: Bots would not die when their replacement was killed.
- Bugfix: SMG marines could launch grenades.
- Bugfix: SMG tangos would drop 2 SMGs.
- Added some sounds specific to today's update. Separate download here because lol 3.5MB
April 27, 2015:
- Bugfix: Dead revenants could not be raised.
- Bugfix: Missing frames when a gibbed marine is raised as a zombie.
- Bugfix: Roboticist description in manual had not been replaced and just had the old medic description.
- Bugfix: Dropped SMG was spawning map pickup.
- Reduced roboticist meds.
- Reduced rate of healer imp shards when killed. Also slightly higher chance if you gib them.
April 20, 2015:
- You no longer need to be below a certain amount of health to use berserk packs.
- Healer imps now occasionally spawn shards on death.
- Gave medic a standard-issue ZM66 with 1 spare mag in lieu of a pistol. Reduced starting radsuits to 1 so you wouldn't start overencumbered.
- Gave roboticist 5 pistol mags and a spare pistol.
April 13, 2015:
- Bugfix: Dead revenant state had "SKEP P" instead of "SKEL P".
- Bugfix: The round in the ZM66 chamber causing the jam would be left in when you clear the jam, letting you end the process with a 50+1 reload.
- Special Bright Week bugfix: Death is overthrown! Make use of what you can.
April 6, 2015:
- Bugfix: Dropped SMG actor shared state with map SMG actor, causing it to spawn an extra mag.
- Better visual distinction between pistol/SMG mags and ZM66 mags.
- "Clip" now sometimes spawns pistol or SMG mags, or armour bonus replacements.
- Turrette now explodes instantly on death.
March 23, 2015:
- Bugfix: HERP pickup spawn would be targeted by friendlies.
- Capped the bleeding red haze.
- Removed some pixels from the SMG mag sprite.
- New Vulcanette pickup sprite.
March 16, 2015:
- Bugfix: Shotgun guys were dropping empty shotguns all the time. Created a new dropped pickup variant just for this.
- Bugfix: Shotguns were spawning with things other than shells.
- Map-placed SMGs and chainguns now also spawn mags.
- Changed the DamageThing calls in the (self) bandaging to bleedouts as the screaming was a bit odd.
- Improved appearance of SMG and pistol mags. They are now grey and there is no seam in the middle of the SMG mag where CLIPA0 normally ends.
- Edited the SMG pickup sprite.
March 9, 2015:
- Bugfix: You would telefrag an invulnerability sphere, robbing you of deliberately necessary invulnerability and breaking many maps. Now if you telefrag the sphere, it gives you the invulnerability immediately instead of dying.
- Bugfix: Partial mag reload for Vulcanette would empty your ZM66.
- Bugfix: Bleeding, etc. fades did not reset. All ACS fade calls are now FadeRange calls that end with 0,0,0,0, and the "get hit" pain state now makes an A_SetBlend call to replicate the old effect.
- Bugfix: Weapon bracing click could cut off other player sounds.
- Many weapon pickups now spawn ammo.
- Increased how many weapons you can carry in encumbrance mode.
February 23, 2015:
- Bugfix: Riflemen now drop actual single mags.
- Commented out the additional black pain flicker as it was interfering with the bleeding/lingering pain fade.
February 16, 2015:
- Bugfix: The carrylimit check should have been done after the items were dropped.
- Bugfix: The chaingunner called A_CustomMissile to drop empty mags, which caused it to instantly face its target. Replaced with A_SpawnItemEx.
- Liberator no longer gets dropped at an arbitrarily shorter distance than everything else.
- Recompressed the file. No idea why, but we're back under 500k again! (Let me know if anything's missing or broken.)
February 9, 2015:
- Bugfix: Marines were dropping mags that would multiply up to 30x once picked up.
- Bugfix: Hitting alt reload with a full BFG would send you into a jittery endless loop.
- Further reduction of archvile pain explosion, while adding a fulldamageradius.
- Plasma pickup gives a more randomized ammo spread. (Chainsaw remains constant.)
- You can now pick up Boss clips without a Boss rifle. They will be converted into loose rounds for your Liberator as required.
- Archvile should now run much, much further away when pained.
- Changed the bleeding indicator again. Now if it's a bright red haze, you're bleeding, but if it's a desaturated or dark haze, you're just low on health.
- Changed the drop/purge system. Now hd_purge just drops all ammo that you don't have weapons for, while hd_drop will drop your current weapon and all its ammo that it doesn't share with another weapon. (Unfortunately the "loaded weapon status runs with person not weapon" problem remains the same as before.) Hitting hd_drop while you have bandages or injector out will drop all your healing items, while with your fist out will drop all other usable items (including medical station which is dropped in either situation).
February 2, 2015:
- Bugfix: Fence in the firing range was glitched in software mode. Got off my lazy ass (well, really got down on my lazy ass) and defined a proper texture for it.
- Bugfix: Map revealer left a blank slot in the usable inventory, and forced a red pickup message.
- Key pickup messages now use log and print colours.
- Archvile explosion damage type set to Thermal rather than normal.
- Replaced a bunch of inventory.undroppable flags with inventory.untossable so I can use ClearInventory etc.
- Split the ACS into multiple files.
January 26, 2015:
- Bugfix: Removed reference to obsolete way of telling killer barrels from normal ones.
- Bugfix: Shotgun smoke was going the wrong way.
- Bugfix: Various weapon garbage objects (empty mags, grenade spoons) had +noblockmap on them and thus did not follow raising and lowering lifts.
- Bugfix: The weapon drop would cause multiple weapons to drop as the script kept checking for weapons while you automatically switched to other weapons. You can still screw it up if you switch weapons deliberately during the process, but until I bother to idiotproof that you are free to do so.
- Stepping up/down is no longer checked while the player is flying.
January 19, 2015:
- Bugfix: Any weapon pickup that inherited directly from HDWeapon could noclip into a wall when dropped. I cannot imagine why I had that +noclip there to begin with, but it must have been there for a reason so let me know if anything weapon pickup-related breaks (esp. wrt BFG, rocket launcher and shotguns).
- Bugfix: Shotgun smoke wasn't moving forwards.
- Added small delay so the blocks-carrying display shows up around the same time your macro inventory does.
- You can now use the zoom key to unload rockets from the RL.
- Key pickup messages now use default colour.
January 12, 2015:
- Bugfix: Shotgun racking angle change was not interpolated.
- Blue potions are now allowed in Grimdark.
- Self-bandage option now has a HUD graphic when selected.
- Slayer now easier to point while moving than Hunter.
- Bandage altfire lets you bandage a teammate. As usual, much more reliable than a DIY. Same function is available for the Injector primary fire if you are out of medikits.
- Updated quick help texts to reflect the fact that bleeding is not "flickering" anymore (at least not intentionally anyway).
January 5, 2015:
- Forgot to mention: added small sound indicator for the boss brain's lines.
- Bugfix: When I changed the crouch check to be based on playerpawn height, the crouch check always returned true while the player was dead, resulting in the wrong corpse type being spawned.
- Bugfix: While fixing the above, I also implemented the loop/wait chainsaw fix to the player corpse.
- Bugfix: ZM66 would keep spawning mags every time you attempted to clear a jam.
- Added a new function: attempt to bandage yourself with improvised materials in the absence of a medikit. This is abstracted to just hitting weapon slot 9 and holding fire while standing still.
- Got rid of some nodelay calls, pending resolution of a GZDoom bug.
- Turrettes make at least a bit of sound on wakeup.
- Changed the rocket launcher. Now it just shoots straight instead of igniting in midair and somehow magically staying pointed in the right direction.
- HEAT rounds are now functionally nearly identical to normal rockets except for damage and acceleration.
- Rockets, bullets, launched grenades, Bronto shells and BFG balls now all inherit player momentum. You'll have to unlearn a few things when strafing with subsonic projectiles (supersonic ones generally showing negligible difference).
- Slowed down pistol non-retention reload, and sped up the New York reload, as before it was actually faster to reload than swap pistols.
- If you are in excellent health (>90), you may reload a half-full SSG while moving and still retain the unspent shell without dropping it.
- Beefed up normal rocket damage.
- Couldn't fix the frag grenade lag, but did clean up the code a bit.
- Shotgun spreads may have been changed slightly in all this. Let me know if they seem stupidly tight.
- Temporarily trying something new with the bleeding: instead of the old flickering, you're now fading in and out when you're standing still. If people prefer this then it will be permanent.
- Boss rifle zeroing is now properly done by setting pitch instead of adding bullet velocity. The bullet should hit the back wall of the range, firing from just behind the sandbags, about 2 pixels below the middle of your crosshair.
(Old updates from 2014 available here.)
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author