Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Black flickering means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. I wish it was compatible with Skulltag, though, because I'm sure it'd be a blast in Survival. Except nobody would ever host it in Survival BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL PUSSIES. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slydir
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
- Main download: The mod itself.
- GZDoom SVN: Required to run HD. Just use whichever one is the newest and if you run into any problems involving obsolete code or exploits let me know.
December 15, 2014:
- Bugfix: You would scream from bleeding to death only while crouched.
- Bugfix: Numerous encumbrance checks failed due to misnamed items.
- Bugfix: Being unencumbered actually sped you up, compared to your naked speed with hd_carrylimit off.
- Backpack now increases your ammo capacity significantly. Numbers are, instead of "what can I reasonably fit on my person?", now based on "what can I conceivably stuff into this slightly stretchable container if this was all I had to carry?" Note, however, that this is only effective with encumbrance limits on, and backpacks no longer increase your total encumbrance block limit.
- Medics and contractors, and occasionally insurgents, now start with a backpack.
- Refined the encumbrance amounts as well as the purge system.
- Movement restrictions now begin at 600 blocks rather than 700.
- Added the "Security Guard" loadout, which is just security armour, 2 medikits and a pistol with a spare mag.
- Added a bit of feedback for when you've braced a weapon against the ground or ledge in front of you.
- SS no longer drop pistols.
- New ZM66 sprites!
- Increased DERP firing rate and movement speed.
- Insurgent may now occasionally spawn with a vulcanette.
- Reduced zombie ZM66 mag drops.
- DERP now autoaims vertically, as otherwise it is impossible for it to shoot at babuins.
- DERP can now be dropped.
December 8, 2014:
- Bugfix: Forgot to change ceiling heights on all outdoor parts of the range to match.
- Bugfix: You could recharge the Thunder Buster by repeatedly dropping it.
- Bugfix: More stuff left out of the hd_doomguy item removal.
- Bugfix: Dropping a primary weapon and automatically switching to fist or pistol would not reset the muzzle collision.
- Bugfix: Menu option for HUD weapon sprite was backwards.
- Bugfix: Accidentally removed the function allowing you to put the pin back in while winding up for a throw. Also, now if you hit Reload to put the pin back in and fail to let go of the fire key, you will not proceed to pull the pin back out again.
- Bugfix: You could empty a BFG, drop it, then immediately pick it back up over 50% loaded and ready to go.
- Bugfix: Alignment issue with the map pickup sprites.
- Numerous aesthetic changes to the firing range.
- Changed the Log messages to Print messages when you attempt to inject something you do not have.
- Injector is now slot 0.
- Slowed down the Boss rifle bullet a bit.
- Boss brain taunts now only begin when the boss eye is awakened.
- Tweaked various drops and pickups.
- Added hd_carrylimit. When on, you are limited in how many weapons you may carry (generally 2-3 primaries plus 2 pistols) and how much of everything else as a general encumbrance level. Numbers subject to change. Press the use key to see how much you're carrying.
- Relatedly, there's hd_purge which purges all your weapons and ammo except what you're holding out in front of you, and also some grenades and meds if you're not holding out the frags or injector.
December 1, 2014:
- Please update your version of GZDoom as I have taken advantage of a few bugfixes and features from after August 2014.
- Bugfix: when opening a disarmed box, the turrette would spawn right there instead of spawning at a safer distance, making the disarmed box ironically even more dangerous than the trapped one. The disarmed box now spawns a BFG vileshard instead as the demon flees having lost the (perceived) element of surprise.
- Bugfix: Automatic rifle grenade launchers, SSG and pistol all did not give the "Reloading" flag during reloading.
- Bugfix: Doomguy mode activator did not remove Boss rifle and its ammo.
- Bugfix: When you teleported, no matter how the map was set up you would end up facing the same absolute angle that you were facing when you stepped into the teleporter. Now if you are more than 100 X or Y map units away from where you were the immediately preceding tic, the weapon inertia check is ignored so that you exit the teleporter facing at the mapper-intended angle. (I've tried checking the +TELEPORT flag already; apparently it's gone by the time the turn momentum check happens.)
- Bugfix: Bot-replacers could not kill their masters in teamplay.
- Bugfix: Yes, that is indeed now a box of rocket grenades.
- Bugfix: Boss rifle bullet skipped an entire part of the velocity check, throwing off all long-range shots.
- Bugfix: If you started winding up for a throw of a frag grenade with the spoon dropped, it would cook off 4 times as fast.
- Changed the disarmed ammo box pickup message so the result is slightly less daft.
- Added droppable ammo actor names to manual.
- Boss rifle weapon mode switch key can now be used to cannibalize a Liberator mag.
- Some changes to frag grenades. Now:
- If you aim at the ground they will roll much further than if you bounced them off a wall, but they only ever bounce once. Also they're shootable so you can knock them off ledges if they don't quite roll far enough.
- This also means you can knock a grenade aside with another grenade, or the explosion thereof. How this may be exploited is an exercise left for the reader.
- I've finally worked out the math required to allow the grenade to inherit your momentum properly through A_SpawnItemEx.
- Your throw power is much more fine-grained, and the exact amount can be seen as an additional bar in your HUD.
- Added a reloading indicator to the HUD when the alternate weapon HUD sprites are on.
- Players are no longer temporarily flagged as monsters when spawning certain things with master/child relationships.
- Updated certain player checks (med station, DERP, BFG) to use the CheckClass property rather than checking for the "Ring" item.
- Simplified the kicking code. Hopefully this should help address the crash issue somewhat.
- Added a safety valve to the copyright licence.
- Used ChangeActorAngle/Pitch for all ACS movement except scope and muzzle blocking. This is virtually unnoticeable if you have FPS capped.
- Added a check that hopefully addresses the issue where you cannot pick up a single X type of ZM66 rifle if it's in the same spot as a large number of type Y (you'd pick up the X, then immediately pick up the Y again before you could let go of the use key).
- Restored the blood splatter and "burrito" sound of the injector. I don't know how I got it before or how I got rid of it, so it's now explicitly implemented.
- Increased chance of Boss jam during proper operation to 8/256 from 2. Still very rare.
- Increased the run-and-gun inaccuracy and bobrange of the Boss rifle. "dcbarifle" more like "dc bara rifle" now.
- Added a firing range! No scripts, bring your own weapons and ammo! Goes from ~20 to 300 metres. Type "map range" in the console to visit.
- Relatedly: added initial vertical velocity to Boss rifle bullet. The scope is now zeroed for 300m.
- The eye switch now makes a squish sound instead of the standard switch sound that made no sense.
November 24, 2014:
- Bugfix: Misaligned Boss flash. Also a 1-tic extra flash frame.
- Bugfix: Sometimes when a healer ungibs a zombie or imp, it would go into a state where it lies dormant for a while before automatically getting back up again. If it does, it would never be friendly, no matter what the status of the healer. I've removed this feature for consistency's sake (and to avoid having to maintain two different "dead" states for each monster which must be responsive to both z velocity and corpse-gibbing). A side effect of this change is that the healer is now much more likely to stick around after an ungibbing and finish the job.
- Bugfix: Forgot to put back in that the pistol should always spawn the pickup not the pistol itself.
- Bugfix: Boss rifle irons were pointed too low.
- Bugfix: I don't know what I was smoking when I was thinking through the Slayer ammo consolidation ACS code. Rewrote it for both shotguns.
- Bugfix: Misunderstood "GetUserCVar" so that all the checks were for Player 1 and not the current player.
- Added Marksman to manual.
- Altered the key pickup feedback to match what is happening.
- Used to be if you were moving you would not bother keeping any ZM66 mags with fewer than 7 shots left. Now the little display can make you a crazy miser all the way!
- All DECORATE code that involves AAPTR_PLAYER5+ now goes all the way up to 8.
- Bot-replacer monsters now constantly warp to Player 1's position. Also, marines no longer telestomp for the sake of my own sanity.
- Velocity impact damage is now falling instead of drowning.
- Styled the allmap bonus in the same manner as the keys.
- Added ammo boxes. To disarm the trap, stare at it as you would a med station. (Not all of them are trapped.)
- Now when you work the bolt on the Boss rifle, unless the gun is supported your aim will be thrown off.
- Added +thrughost to the stumble antenna.
- Boss clips can now be dropped.
- Added boots icon to the HUD to show when you've got the radsuit on as it occurs to me that the green tint might not be easily recognized by red/green colourblind people.
- Radsuit now slows you down.
- Scaled down light amp to match skull keys and helmet.
- Edited out old 5-minute limit for rad suits in the manual.
- Added a new user-side cvar, hd_hudsprite, which if turned on will display your current weapon as a pickup sprite on your HUD. The sprite will always appear on the automap HUD. You still need the normal player sprite to gauge your grenade throwing force, but I'm leaving that alone this version pending a few other changes...
November 17, 2014:
- Bugfix: Added +nodamagethrust to the fire damage actor so barrels don't dance while on fire.
- Bugfix: It was at least theoretically possible for the shotgun shell ejector actor to hit a wall and die without spawning the ejected shell.
- Bugfix: Wound counter was still running when you had the no-bleeding cheat or were playing on the easiest setting, creating issues with the Droplets mod.
- Bugfix: Rifle bullets could gib people.
- Greatly reduced the brown tint on the Liberator scope.
- Tweaked thunder buster sound timing.
- Liberator now randomly drops where plasma rifle normally is, and backpack replacer now randomly spawns either a GL-mounted Liberator or a Brontornis with spare ammo where the plain Liberator used to be.
- Innocent barrels sometimes spawn "shards" if destroyed.
- Human marines can now telefrag. This ability is lost if they die and are raised, even if their other abilities remain intact.
- Alignment adjustments on smoke, shell and debris sprites.
- Liberator reclassifed as a "short" weapon. Compare: Hunter.
- Added the Boss rifle! Slot 8, bolt action, hair-trigger super-accuracy, plays in game sort of like a shitty, long-range Hunter that jams a lot. Alpha rifle HUD sprite placeholders for now.
- Made automap and fullscreen HUDs consistent.
- Made the keycards gritty grimdark coloured like the zombies, but once you download their "code" you instantly share it with the first 5 players ingame.
- Skulls are skull-sized and flicker randomly.
- Commented out the +usespecial in the HDWeaponPickup.
November 10, 2014:
- Bugfix: If sprite clipping adjustment was turned off, the entire Liberator casing sprite would be invisible on the floor.
- Bugfix: Wrong sizes for stalagtite and torchtree. Former is also slightly shorter than it used to be.
- Bugfix: Player sprite would switch to RIFG instead of PLAY/PLYC when shooting.
- Bugfix: Critical failure of logical thinking in the boss brain code. Sorry!
- Bugfix: Pushable things could be pushed by their own blood - including the tiny trail actors - causing barrels to be knocked back absurd distances at the slightest touch.
- Barrel mass reduced to 100, and flaming barrels are now pushable.
November 3, 2014:
- Bugfix: Wrong jump state in one of the psalm quotes.
- Bugfix: Liberator casings did not have +forcexybillboard set.
- Bugfix: Shotgun shell 4-packs still called a "box" on pickup.
- Bugfix: Shotgun chamber indicator showed positive any time there was not a spent shell inside, whether or not the gun was actually ready to fire.
- Split up a couple long passages to make sure nothing requires more than 12 seconds to read.
- Swapped the loadout names "Enforcer" and "Infiltrator". (the quiet one is the "Infiltrator" now)
- BossBrain no longer plays any messages at all in the absence of a BossEye.
- Simplified the pistol casing spawning.
- Babuins no longer randomly replace shotgun shell pickups.
- "I think Bigfoot is blurry, that’s the problem. It’s not the photographers’ fault. Bigfoot is blurry and that’s extra scary to me. There’s a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside." New effect for ninja pirate.
- Fire can now has fire crackle sound.
- Made killer fire cans more aggressive and killer barrels less aggressive (at least while you're looking right at them).
- Killer fire can flamethrower attack can now set you on fire.
October 27, 2014:
- Forgot to mention last update: pistol bullets now also make flyby sound trails.
- Forgot to mention last update: grenade bouncing greatly reduced.
- Bugfix: Shellboxes weren't translated to grey steel casings.
- Bugfix: If you did not already have a pistol, picking up a New York Reload dropped pistol would only give you a "second pistol" and not a first.
- Bugfix(?): Injector was causing injury.
- Bugfix: Bad punctuation in dead body decorations meant that they were dying normal deaths.
- Bugfix: Added redundant flag changers to caco's crash state.
- Bugfix: If you exited a level with any "hell" objects and the next level had none of them, any trees in the later level would still scream.
- Bugfix: Soul/Megaspheres still inherited from the new portable potions, which meant that you got a free potion along with whatever else the sphere gave you.
- Bugfix: "Safe" burning barrel had extra BEXP frames in its death state that looked out of place. I suspect I did this on purpose but I do not know why I would have thought that to not look like ass.
- Bugfix: Old water animation was still playing.
- Bugfix: Boss cubes were spawning normal turrettes rather than ones modified not to leave drops.
- Got rid of the looping tree screams.
- Added hd_nomeds, a server cvar that removes all portable healing items. Soul spheres, megaspheres and bleeding-stopping armour bonuses remain.
- "Stalactites" no longer automatically imply screaming trees, but they themselves always scream.
- Increased soul sphere bonus to 144.
- Added some casing bounce sounds.
- Reduced archvile pain explosion.
- Tweaked spoon-dropped frag animation.
- Non-boss-cube turrettes now use blur sphere graphics for slightly less awful Doom 1 incompatibililty.
- Added a little indicator to show if the Hunter or Liberator are chambered.
- Tree screaming is now quasi-random: the flag givers now give multiple flags, and each tree checks to see if you have at least a random minimum. Certain floors (lava, nukage, blood, skulls, snakes) will always generate screaming trees.
- Added some redundant animdefs in case any mapper set their sector to "LAVA2" for some reason.
- Added a few more verses.
- Running or moving about, especially while crouched, in non-nukage, non-lava liquids, as well as certain other flats like sand and snakes, helps put out fires.
- Added some more Doom 1-compat TEXTURES flats.
October 20, 2014:
- Bugfix: You could use multiple stimpacks and medikits in rapid succession.
- Bugfix: Post-mortem gibbings flagged you as having killed something and also resulted in item drops.
- Bugfix: Critters subject to post-mortem gibbing who are then raised, then shot dead (not gib death), would gib when they finish their normal death sequence.
- Bugfix: One of the zombie/nazi monsters (forgot which) was still not subject to autoaim when raised.
- Bugfix: Tango was dropping 2 rifles on first kill, then always dropping a rifle every revive-kill.
- Bugfix: Helmetjack gib anim was stopping at the wrong frame, and was giving different rifles depending on whether he gibbed or not.
- Bugfix: if you had exactly 1 round left in your ZM66 and reloaded, you'd lose that round.
- Changed numbers given by green helmets to something more reasonable.
- Made the green helmets do something that's been in my headcanon ever since I read the "spiritual armour" description as a child.
- Blue potions are now usable.
- Use of healing items now switches you to unarmed.
- Healing items now require you to reach a certain pitch before they kick in. This does not require you to do anything.
- Numerous tweaks to the health/armour bonus replacers. Now casings (and the occasional accidentally cycled unspent shell) are also occasionally dropped, for that lovely recent firefight evidence.
- Moved armour on fullscreen status bar to the left of the current-weapon ammo counters, and the other-shotgun side saddle counters to both always show on the main ammo counters on the right.
- Medic now spawns with radsuit and contractor spawns with 2 cells.
- Mugshot now always visible on large HUD.
- Shotgun shell pickups are now - on rare occasions - randomly replaced with other things.
- Shell boxes and rocket boxes are back! They will be automatically split and surplus ammo left on the ground as needed.
- New rifle bullet crack. Old crack effect still used in Thunder Buster.
- Remixed the rifle and shotgun sounds to use the old crack effect.
- Spider Mastermind's shots now play through different channels, making the effect sound more like the chaingun. Chaingun guy... I gave up and just added a noisemaker dummy actor. :V
October 14, 2014:
- Bugfix: Dropping pistol dropped nothing.
- Bugfix: If you switched to another weapon while reloading the Hunter, the remaining shells in your hand would disappear.
- Bugfix: If certain corpses landed on top of objects, they'd be stuck in an inappropriate-looking falling frame. Now instead of distance from floor the corpses now check for velz. (thanks to TheMightyHeracross for pointing out I could do this!)
- Bugfix: Non-GL-mounted ZM66 was still using the old switch-weapon-to-stop-using-scope paradigm.
- Bugfix: hd_norockets wasn't working because I forgot to put in the "no" in the check in the ACS. -_-
- Bugfix: Frag grenades were not pushable.
- Bugfix: Frag grenade timers cooked off faster when they stopped moving.
- Archviles now always noclip.
- Added hd_helptext (default: true). Turning this off hides some contextual help such as grenade warnings and explanations about picking up the various rifle types.
- Added hd_helptext and hd_nobots hd_clearcv.
- Added the CVARs to the gameplay options menu, as well as the option to quickly reset them.
- Added Morcilette's idea of replacing health and armour bonuses with randomspawners as the originals were too out of place. You still get helmets and bottles on occasion, but each one is worth much more than before. Also, since they aren't clustered together so much anymore I've restored their dynamic lights.
- Reduced frag grenade bounce.
- Gave lite amp to Contractor, Enforcer and Medic.
- Gave special advantage to UAC Standard mags: they now show a little display for the exact number of rounds left in your gun.
October 6, 2014:
- Bugfix: Turns out the "slayer double" sound was being used - by the Brontornis. Bronto now uses other existing sounds.
- Bugfix: Chainsaw used no ammo when you were holding down attack but not hitting anything.
- Made idle chainsaw use slightly less ammo on average.
- Added Hemo's final Liberator sprites, including pickup.
September 29, 2014:
- Bugfix(?): New GZDoom versions apparently will exit with an error message at you if you define an actor with a uservar, then have something inherit from that actor and then define that uservar again. I am not using that fully up to date version, but since commenting out this redundancy does not break the older version (as I had previously assumed it would for whatever reason) those offending lines have been commented out.
- Toned down the tree crazy, namely by making sure that it only happens when certain other objects appear on the map: carved columns, floaty skull rocks, evil eyes, "stalagtite" thorns, boss brain or spider mastermind.
- Tweaked appearance of stalagmites, "stalagtite" thorns and trees. They're now random x and y scales, have a 50% chance of showing a horizontally flipped sprite, and (along with the tech column) are forced Y billboard.
- New Liberator sprite!
- Your movement counter now goes up when you turn beyond your "must step" threshold.
September 22, 2014:
- Forgot to mention from last update: the actor "ShellChamber" is no longer used. If you have any mods that rely on that item please change them.
- Trees now scream periodically, and catch fire sometimes when you hit them.
- Redid the rifle sight switching. Now if you are using the GL, you will always have the ladder sight, while you will not automatically switch out of your rifle scope when you deselect. Let's see if this plays better.
- Deleted some sounds that weren't being used.
- Couldn't get around that bug where you'd land on a corpse and you'd be in ledge-creeping mode for a second. So instead I brought back the tripping corpses, but mitigated the awfulness somewhat. Now when you use the Use key to kick a corpse, you kick it 3 times as
far hard as a live enemy. Side effect: this also applies if your kick is a killing blow. I am not fixing this.
September 15, 2014:
- Bugfix: Archangels were supposed to always noclip.
- Bugfix: Turrettes were still dropping Brontornis shells, etc. randomly. They now just directly give you energy that eventually replenishes any partially spent, unloaded cells you may have.
- Bugfix: Chaingunguys were still using 30-round mags.
- Bugfix: Chaingunguys kept turning around for no reason, due to a poorly thought out jump to see state. (In retrospect I should have figured out the cause of the problem long ago, as they actually looked rather like people who were in a hurry to go but felt awkward about leaving so they kept half-getting up and turning away.)
- Bugfix: Chaingun tactical reloads weren't saved when you had the Liberator.
- Redid the super shotgun. Now we have a separate state for when both barrels are fired within 1 tic of each other.
- Chaingun now automatically ejects spent mags.
- Got rid of that ridiculous trigger pull delay on the chaingun.
- All map-placeable corpses can now be raised.
- Learned that increasing the number of channels in GZDoom gets rid of many moments when HD slows to a crawl. Updated hd.txt accordingly.
September 2, 2014:
- Bugfix: If a little spectre's raise was interrupted, it would be translucent instead of fuzzy.
- Bugfix: Shotgun guys couldn't be raised - or, rather, they could only be raised in the impossibly unlikely event that someone tried to raise the corpse while it was in midair.
- Bugfix: Replaced a few too many strings and the marine raising animations didn't play properly.
- Bugfix: DERP non-patrol modes weren't clearing target properly.
- Bugfix: DERP lost 3 shots every time you picked it back up.
- Bugfix???: Added a potential workaround for archviles getting stuck in geometry when they solidify. Now if an archvile goes through its entire see state without changing its xy position, it will noclip.
- Got rid of stumbling over corpses.
- Invulnerability spheres now make you explode and catch fire. (As a minor technical note, you turn invulnerable first.) If you destroy an invulnerability sphere, you release the angel inside!
- You no longer get sights when you are invulnerable.
- You now drop your DERP from your view height and it follows your momentum.
- You can now use alt reload to unload a cell from the Thunder Buster. Yes, the way this is implemented does let you consolidate ammo. Working out the cell ammo system to be even remotely sensical has always been on the "Later" list.
August 18, 2014:
- Bugworkaround: Supersonic bullet/shot trails now make their sound 1 tic later, to allow 2 instances of the SSG shot sound to overlap - otherwise you can fire both barrels within 2-3 tics of each other but the second report would not start playing until the first one had completely finished.
- Bugfix: Marines were firing from height 32 rather than 44.
- Bugfix: ZM66 should have been doing a consistent 3-tic 3-round burst but it didn't quite pan out due to jump offset issues.
- Restored some delay into the triggers of all weapons.
- SSG now pushes the player back slightly, to give at least some impression of double recoil when you're shooting both barrels at once.
- Reduced chainsaw idle battery usage.
- Some tweaks to gun smoke effects.
- Changed ZM66 cookoff system. It is now much easier to get with semiauto, and worse when you do.
- Significantly reduced the end-berserk blackout.
August 11, 2014:
- Hotfix: I had kept SBARINFO disabled by mistake after some final bugchecking. Restored.
- Bugfix and technical clarification: It seems that the problem with the grenade velocity inheritance was that it would inherit the thrower's velocity correctly, then before the A_Warp call there would still be collision checks where the grenade would potentially bounce if its forward momentum was enough. This meant that if you were throwing a grenade very hard forwards where there was a short wall right in front of you, it would bounce off that wall during the brief moment that it was 20 units off the floor. A temporary flag change during the inheritance sequence fixes this.
- Bugfix: Chainsaw was not droppable.
- "misc/pocket" probably makes more sense as the default corpse-stepping sound.
- You can now gib zombie, imp and player corpses with the chainsaw, explosives and berserk fist primary fire. Many corpses now also change frames when they're in the air, creating a smoother effect when they're falling from a great height or if they're disturbed from their place of rest.
- Chainsaw now uses cells. Also, since it can run out of ammo now, I've restored the beatdown.
- Cloaked spectre corpses now take up to 15 seconds before they are revealed, and the revealment is smoother.
- Changed custom falling damage to use drowning damage type, and set drowning pain state not to degrade custom armour. (Drowning obit also replaced so you don't get an inappropriate "can't swim" message.)
August 4, 2014:
- Restored the cyberdemon's spamminess.
- Added a nominal "falling damage" whenever you fall or slam into a wall (or monster!) too hard. Just a bit of pain and fatigue, no broken bones just yet. Mitigated when you are unarmed, have your weapon lowered, are crouching, or are berserk.
- Got rid of that downward dip when you take damage, as otherwise you'd fall into a feedback loop and die from touching anything too fast.
- Increased maximum fatigue level to 200.
- Removed the momentum inheritance from the hand grenades. Problem was that they'd still end up spawning too low if you took a running start before throwing it off a ledge (e.g. Map15 starting room).
- More tweaks to corpse-stumbling.
July 28, 2014 - hotfix:
- Bugfix: you would also slow down while stepping over corpses. This is actually a neat effect, so I've improved it - it's not a lot less of a hindrance and you sometimes make squishy noises.
- Bugfix: Hand grenades were spawning from somewhere well below the player's sight, making it impossible to properly roll something off a chest-level ledge.
- Forgot to mention: Slight rebeefing up of rocket.
July 28, 2014:
- Got rid of some sprites that were either unused or better done in TEXTURES.
- Added a new feature: reduced speed and increased fatigue while walking up or down steps. Buggy. Let me know if intolerably so.
- Adjusted the cyberdemon's behaviour. It shoots less often now but hits harder when it does.
- Hand grenades now inherit your own movement! You can potentially beat the GL's range with a running start! Aim carefully!
July 21, 2014:
- Lowered rate of flicker on spoon off warning.
- Berserk now lasts much shorter, and you'll probably kill yourself if you use a second before the first totally runs out. To offset this, however your healing potential gain is doubled - if you survive. Good luck!
July 14, 2014:
- Bugfix: Changed the way switching between rifle variants works. Old way, you'd pick up any gun you wanted, then when you selected the rifle you would dump whichever guns you did not select, meaning you could transport 2-3 guns to different places if you turn on "neverswitchonpickup". Now you drop your old gun immediately, and automatically select the new gun if the gun being dropped is the one you have out.
- The exiled bots are now invisible.
- Medikits cause fatigue.
- Got rid of some useless bot-replacer code.
- Just for the record: After a horrifically embarrassing death involving a little spectre, 2 of 3 zombies around a corner dispatched with the SSG, a perfectly timed jam, and a pistol-prohibiting mental state of panic, I think I'll leave the manual pump as default.
July 7, 2014:
- Hotfix: PK7 file had a separate textures.txt that should not have been in there.
- Bugfix: If you were to use altfire on the grenades to pull the pin and drop the spoon, then hold primary fire indefinitely, right after throwing the first grenade you would proceed to pick up and pull the pin on a second, making it very easy to inadvertently throw 2 grenades. Now you must release the primary fire.
- Bugfix: More missing textures referenced in ANIMDEFS.
- Added cvar hd_nobots. If set to true, when you spawn a bot you get a rifleman instead. Also works in deathmatch and teamgames!
- Gave ZM66 priority over SMG when respawning.
- Increased rocket starting impact damage.
- Reduced chaingun cell capacity to 30000 to get around this stupid SBARINFO bug where a bar shows empty if you've got more than 33000 or so of something.
- Switched to a much more minimalistic fire mode HUD.
- Made the "The fuze is lit! Remember to throw!" warning a bit smaller now that we have a blinking warning on the HUD.
June 30, 2014:
- Bugfix: Manual still had a reference to alt reload unloading a mag from the chaingun, when in fact that function is assigned to zoom and alt reload loads a cell.
- Bugfix: You could not actually support your gun on a raised ledge in front of you. Simplified this system to a simple fastprojectile collision check. (For reference, try aiming a chaingun from right behind those little square thingies in the big room in Map01.)
- Bugworkaround: In software mode the scope view for the rifles and Thunder Buster would have a tiny weapon sprite inside it. This is apparently an unavoidable side effect of using a player as a camera. I've added a new actor for each player that now serves as the camera actor.
- Supported chaingun now a little easier to aim.
- Crouching now slightly dips your aim and costs fatigue and movement, but resets your standing angle.
- Added a new warp animation.
June 23, 2014:
- Bugfix: Perfectly point-blank pistol shots had no effect.
- Bugfix: If you left the light amps on, they'd automatically turn off after the normal Doom time limit.
- Lite amps now waste a tiny bit of power every time you turn them on.
- Reduced chaingunguy spread.
- Slight changes to zombieman turn thresholds. They might conceivably be more accurate now.
June 16, 2014:
- Bugfix: SMG referred to nonexistent frame when reloading only from abstracted loose ammo/partial mags.
- Bugfix: Above shitty reload did not actually even work.
- Bugfix: Zombies would often completely skip their pain state animations.
- Bugfix: Raised little-spectres didn't return to fuzzy renderstyle.
- Ghost marines, archangels and friendly marines now draw attention to themselves.
- Archangels now heal one hit whenever they heal. They are now virtually invincible.
- Given that the SMG is not a bullpup, I've upgraded its bulk handling to be equal to a ZM66 with grenade launcher rather than without.
- Added a separate check to see if the NullWeapon had been called for any reason, to remove the delay in switching weapons when you were just holding the weapon down for a moment.
- Doubled chance of shotgun auto failure.
June 9, 2014:
- Bugfix: You were only getting one pistol mag from converting one SMG mag, not two.
- Bugfix: Accidentally moved some old backup and development files into the pk7.
- Added small chance of spontanous jam in auto shotgun, to reflect unpredictable ammo.
- Reduced chance of jamming on ZM66.
- Added a little display on the HUD showing SMG mags next to your pistol mags, mirroring the SMG function.
- Added a little display on the HUD showing side saddle ammo for the shotgun you are not using.
- Zombies and imps wander more now.
June 1, 2014:
- Bugfix: Chaingunguys were always shooting at 2100 RPM, which the player's own weapon was never able to achieve. They now alternate between fire modes randomly.
- Bugfix?????: Reports that the arachnotrons were falling back on player Thunder Buster obituaries. I was not able to replicate this but I did make a minor change based on pure speculation as to what might have been causing it.
- Bugfix???: Reports that every so often all of the player's SMG mags would disappear. I've cleaned up some of the logic in the SMG consolidation code, but I did not see anything in the old code that would have caused this.
- Chaingun now uses cell energy to spin! One cell pack provides for 32 continuous minutes of spinning. The gun is also noticeably heftier now.
- Chaingun's ROF now defaults to 700 RPM, the same as all other full-auto weapons. This speeds up to 2100 RPM by changing fire modes.
- Swapped chaingun ammo management keys. Now loading a cell is bound to the alternate reload key, while zoom unloads an unused mag.
- You can now short-stroke the shotgun. To avoid doing this, HOLD the altfire when racking.
- Shotgun can now fire in semiauto! Do not mash your fire button too quickly or it WILL jam!
- Light amps can now be turned on and off. Picking one up gives you 20 minutes' worth of light amplification; if it runs out, next use you will charge it with your cell ammo for up to 40 minutes' worth.
- Slight tweaks to chaingun recoil.
- For clarity but including without limitation: shotgun guys can now fire in semiauto. :)
- Minor balancing tweak to the BFG. The effect is randomized but should average out.
- Increased pistol spare ammo capacity to 50, matching the Liberator rounds.
- If you have the SMG out, you will now consolidate SMG mags while idle, not pistol mags.
- You can now convert SMG mags into pistol mags! Both use the zoom key, the same way you cannibalize side saddle ammo between the two shotguns.
- SMGs and SMG ammo now have a chance to spawn in place of clipboxes.
- Pickup messages no longer treat 4.26mm UAC Standard as an unmarked default not even worth specifying.
- Gave some extra loose rounds to the Enforcer.
May 25, 2014:
- Bugfix: The chaingunguy never had idle regeneration the way other zombies do.
- Bugfix: Some people mentioned a while back that the player translations did not work properly when running HD with other mods that had their own palettes, because they used separate PNGs instead of unpaletted Doom graphics. The optimization described below should fix that.
- Old shotgunguy obituary is now back by popular demand, with a new hitobituary to boot!
- Increased the threshold for ZM66 cookoff.
- Got rid of the annoying spin-down time when firing the chaingun in semi. Its only function was to make it worse than the ZM66 and didn't really make a whole lot of sense.
- Nazis now shoot SMGs.
- Converted various WAVs to OGGs.
- Converted all sprites and graphics - except crosshairs - to Doom WADs instead of individual PNGs. Download size of the file is back down to the 500ks.
- Removed a few sprites that were nothing but recolours of existing Doom sprites, in favour of TEXTURES.
May 19, 2014:
- Bugfix: Expanded the zombie distance/aim thing to NPC marines.
- Bugfix: Liquid warping crashed on Doom 1 due to missing textures.
- Bugfix: Forgot to add SMG to HUD arms displays.
- Bugfix: SMG had a reference to a non-existent frame in its "nothing to do, move along" reload abort animation.
- Bugfix: The actor used to control alternate reloads would be taken away every so often, making it impossible to combine mags for the SMG.
- Added proper TEXTURES definitions so the hole on the SMG mag isn't twice as wide as the one on the pistol mag.
- Tweaked SMG mag-merge sequence. Hopefully the audio cue is a little better at indicating what is going on.
- Slowed down the rifle-jackboot's attack rate somewhat.
- Increased Thunder Buster ammo usage slightly.
- Pistol sights may now be used while you have the lite-amps on.
- Changed BFG, chainsaw and chaingun bobbing to Doom-style.
- Some cosmetic mapinfo stuff.
May 17, 2014:
- Bugfix: manual said pistol was caseless.
- Bugfix: undead rifleman was still using the shitty old shooting code.
- Bugfix: drunk imp doing cover fire would occasionally turn to face the out-of-sight player, ruining the whole effect.
- Bugfix: zombies took less time to aim from a great distance than up close. Should be the other way around.
- Added an SMG! Some zombiemen also use this (in fact right now it's the only way to get one short of selecting the appropriate loadout). Second weapon in slot 2.
- Changed pistol bob.
- Added a slight delay when switching to any weapon that must be held with both hands.
- Chainsaw beatings shall not continue until morale improves.
- Added a new, helmeted jackboot, as an excuse to add more ZM66 ammo in shotgunguy-heavy maps especially now that zombiemen are spread between ZM66 and SMG. To make up for their significantly lower stopping power on any given hit, they are much more aggressive, use only the ZM66's unique salvo ability and have 10 more hitpoints.
- Increased zombie maxtargetrange.
- Added a new passing-by sound for the pistol bullet, using the old plasma rifle distant sound.
May 12, 2014:
- Bugfix: Arachnotrons would drop the main Cell actor, which would be randomly replaced with Liberator mags and Brontornis shells. (the turrettes were left in on purpose though they are now removed along with this bugfix.)
May 5, 2014:
- Idle barons no longer wander.
- Shotgun guys' random aim spread very slightly decreased on average.
- Berserk overhauled. Now each use does much less wounding and regenerates a few more hitpoints, but your increased strength only lasts a little longer than your regeneration.
- Plasma zoom now requires cells to be loaded and drains the cells after extended use (1 unit/h).
- BFG alternate reload now loads only one cell, letting you charge up the rest without accidentally fully loading the gun and risking an extraction.
- Made the plasma sight picture larger on screen but same resolution. You see more with this more clearly than any other scope, but the picture is grainier.
- Trying out a bit of liquid flat warping.
May 4, 2014:
- Bugfix: BFG did not handle loose ammo correctly while reloading, checking for 41 units instead of 21. Also didn't do something crucial during the implicit cell-removal portion.
- Bugfix: Ghost marine grenade could occasionally drift into the ceiling while exploding, creating an infinitely recursive explosion that would leak and break the game.
- While fixing the above bug, decided to get rid of fragments for ghost marine grenades altogether. The entire explosion is a single-hitpoint illusion. It does, however, as an illusion always cause pain.
- Finally decided on what to do with cell ammo consolidation. Now, between maps, you try to charge up a few cellpacks to maximum using several of the others connected together, costing you 30 units to charge up a single full 20-unit pack. However, the BFG if you have it takes priority, and you now load 1 cellpack if necessary and charge the BFG to max. You are not assumed to try to unload the BFG at any point because you know why.
- Degraded shotgun guys' aim from "pretty fuckin' sweet" to "not too horrible usually". (A little more "stormtrooper-like", if you will, for the purpose of this early update.)
- Idle barons now wander like other monsters.
April 28, 2014:
- Bugfix: HEAT ammo counter sprite was in the wrong place on automap and fullscreen HUDs.
- Bugfix: Massive logic fail in dealing with picking up a stored DERP if you already had a DERP and needed ammo, or if you had full ammo and needed a DERP.
- You can no longer use sights while using the light amp goggles.
- HUD armour bar now has black trim.
- Barons now release only 4 shards instead of 8 when killed, meaning that they cannot raise themselves to full power even theoretically without external input.
April 14, 2014:
- Bugfix: Injector HUD sprites not showing up correctly on "fullscreen" HUD.
- Lowered the lit-fuze warning on the screen.
April 7, 2014:
- Manual updated to get rid of last vestiges of shitty old skill names.
- Select-fire ZM66 slightly more likely to jam than semi.
- Semi ZM66s are now dropped rather than destroyed when you pick up an auto.
April 1, 2014:
- Big gore update! All deaths updated with fresh graphics based on real dead people. Plasma deaths have built-in black people jokes, and added a secret explosive/gas weapon (slot 88) that causes jaundice and swelling of eyelids.
- Icon of Sin can only be destroyed if you hit it exactly 3 times with 3 different weapons, to symbolize the Holy Trinity. (An alternate boss requiring 6 hits, one with each of the 2 modes on a given weapon, to symbolize the dual nature of Christ, will be available in the Russian-language-only "Old Believer" expansion pack.)
- Bugfix: Injured players' views would flicker randomly and they would lose health until they used a medikit. Not sure what caused that, but it's gone now.
- All weapons now get updated voxel graphics. Note that because of the fixed view it is very hard to notice.
- Archvile flames now recite verses from the Holy Qur'an before exploding.
- ...in Japanese.
- Pinky demons are now a metaphor for British colonialism and white privilege.
- Replaced E3M8 plasma rifle with Galadriel's Phial.
- Final boss arena added, an open featureless field in which you fight one archvile for each and every time you've ever teleported, charged or shot a BFG, or killed something using a barrel.
March 31, 2014:
- Clarified what the 3 co-op modes are in the manual.
March 24, 2014:
- Bugpossiblyfix??????: HD desyncs upon re-entering the level after a wipeout. Added a "terminate" immediately after the co-op wipe-out Teleport_NewMap call. The enter-repeat script also terminates once you have the "WipedOut" item, which might also remove a source of desync.
March 17, 2014:
- Bugfix: Idle spectres would occasionally suddenly flash out of sight without cloaking properly.
- Most spectres are now replaced with a fuzzy babuin.
- Spectres, now being much rarer, play a bit more conservatively.
- Increased drop rate for medikits.
- Slight tweaks to healing item numbers. Stimpacks less dangerous to use.
- Added a help screen.
January 13, 2014:
- Bugfix: Forgot to mention Icytux as the originator of the pinky sprite edit.
- Bugfix: Player standing state spilled over into running state.
- Added the built-in ZDoom crouched death animations.
- Minor tweaks to the bullet puffs.
- Trees now spawn in random sizes and can catch fire.
January 6, 2014:
- Bugfix: Brontornis was immune to movement aiming randomization.
- Bugfix: Pain elemental was moving too fast with the extra A_Chase calls.
- Bugfix: It was possible to get the same boss brain message a couple times in a row.
- Bugfix: All boss cube spawns were friendly??? lol idek
- Arachnotrons now retreat into safe range before attacking.
- Added a sound to the particle beam target so you know if someone or something is shooting.
- Scaled launched grenades down to speed 90 from 120.
- Added the sprites from IMX's excellent Demonicron for the babuins.
- Babuins now check their leap path to minimize the risk of infighting.
- Randomized the apparent size of some of the "naked" mooks - babuin, spectre, caco, imp, skull and PE - to make groups of them look more "horde" and less "phalanx". Side effect: easier to keep track of bets during babuin infighting.
- Moved the pain elemental, spectre and lost soul DECORATE code so the lost soul isn't arbitrarily lumped together with the spectre.
- Cyberdemon rockets no longer subject to gravity. It's just too complex for me to figure out how to get it to aim up after a certain range.
- Cleaned up the cyberdemon aiming and movement a bit.
- Tweaked the look of the mancubus fire.
- Added randomized spawn scale and state to hell knights. Barons just keep their corporeal forms dignifiedly hidden until used.
- Baron balls no longer seek as aggressively.
- Barons leave shards when they die. Theoretically this can make them impossible to kill permanently, but fortunately they're not that smart.
- Rewrote the BFG fluff because the bad German in the old version was just too unbearably awkward.
- Added some weaving to the BFG ball. It now also avoids hitting floor and ceiling to some extent.
- Increased spider mastermind target range to 2048.
- Added randomized scale for archies.
- Changed the boss brain message system so I no longer need to worry about messages crossing each other.
- Boss brain's stated agenda is now explicit.
- "Pistol start hack" check now works against all four players.
- Boss brain gives you free BFG ammo with every cube.
- Added description of basic unarmed attacks to manual.
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author