Hideous Destructor - a weapon and monster mod for GZDoom
- Bright red haze means you're bleeding to death.
- Use medikits (or, if no medikits, weapon slot 9) to stop bleeding. They take time to work.
- Hit the reload key to reload. Hold to keep the mag.
- Hold the use/open door key to pick up things and melee people.
- Hold the jump key in front of a low ledge to climb over it.
- Hold the run/walk key to run.
- Stop moving and hold the use/open door key to view all inventory.
- To run on Doom 1/Ultimate Doom, load DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD before Hideous Destructor.
There are men with guns in this building. They want to kill you. You too have a gun. What do you do?
Hideous Destructor is designed around this principle: to bring back that feeling of doom in Doom. The men with guns can and will shoot to kill; if you survive, their demonic controllers can easily finish you off in more horrific ways.
Your motions are limited to human levels and any attack can leave you bleeding, burning or choking to death if it doesn't kill you outright. Episode 1 will be populated by a force that actually appears capable of eliminating a platoon of trained marines not unlike the player. Your opposition is swift, brutal and relentless, and you must be even more so to survive.
You may start the game with nearly any weapon you wish, or brave the impossible as the naked doomed marine with a pistol and 50 rounds. An array of advanced gadgetry and magical artifacts is available to give you a second chance when you need it most - which will be often.
The men with guns know you're here. There's no turning back now.
- Deadlier, faster weapons and monsters for more intense fights.
- Special monster attacks that take advantage of each monster's tactical and aesthetic niche.
- Detailed weapon behaviour including visible recoil, muzzle climb and weapon inertia and collision.
- Customized survival-based game modes for multiplayer.
- Designed to be compatible with the original Doom visual style.
Whe People Are Saying
Hideous Destructor still holds a place in my heart, even though I suck at it. It's right around that level of unfairness known as "Nintendo Hard", which is hard enough to make you throw down your controller (or keyboard in this case i guess) in disgust, but not hard enough that you won't try it again. --Ethril
You have my respect for creating a system that drunkenly stumbles down the fine line between genius and insanity. --Greenmarine
This is not the story of the Hero Of Mankind of the original Doom games, invincible in stature and unstoppable in speed and brutality. This is the story of scared, desperate, and very human men in a desperate fight that cannot be won. --Slydir
--Bull. Vae never added the need to eat, sleep, piss, poo, or sleep. :P --It's hard enough that some people will mess their pants, and then eat comfort food and cry themselves to sleep, if that counts for anything. --XutaWoo/Ethril, on whether this mod's difficulty features could be considered "overboard"
--Typically, I hate games that play in this fashion, AKA slow-paced as all get out with a bleeding system that kills you far more often than the actual bullets do, and weapons where unless I've planted myself on my ass I can't shoot a gun for shit, but for some reason I can't stop playing this. Probably because I'm stubborn and it only makes me angry when I get murdered by anything in one to three shots, depending on what's doing the shooting. Maybe because I'm hoping I can take this to a LAN party at some point and have other people who will gladly die in my place. I dunno, it's intriguing, really. --twinkieman93
--This is Dark Souls. This is sci-fi Dark Souls with guns.
It looks like DooM, it feels like DooM, it handles like DooM (or ZDooM). It PLAYS like a vicious ex-spouse.
You will come to loathe the common zombieman for being an ubiquitous asshat who is happy to troll you while more threatening enemies finish you off. The pinky demon is now an angry yip-dog who is happy to lunge into your kneecaps teeth-first over and over again while your shots miss him by inches. The cacodemon is no longer a big dumb flying tomato that shoots slow projectiles---it is airborne death, spewing electric rage with power and accuracy that would make Thor weep tears of joy. The new arch vile is some of the scariest shit I've ever fought in a video game and the new cyberdemon will teach you humility.
What the hell is wrong with this mod? it's completely unplayable lol what were you thinking? --Lycaon
February 20, 2017:
- Bugfix: Forgot to apply the update to live 9mm and 7mm loose rounds.
- Bugfix: Should be checking for absolute values of velocity in the debris actor.
- Player now moves slightly when turning, in addition to the shifting that happens when you turn too far without moving. This shifts your view so that the origin is a little bit ahead of the axis rather than dead centre. Let me know how this feels.
- More under-the-hood stuff. Monsters almost ready to start scriptifying (subject to numerous extremely crippling and crash-inducing bugs)!
February 14, 2017:
- Bugfix: 7mm bullets were puffing on bleeding actors.
- Bugfix: 7mm brass had not been properly updated to the new scriptified debris code, resulting in a soft crash.
- Bugfix: Floating skull rock would get stuck in zero-length infinite loop. Scriptified while fixing this.
- Bugfix: When you press fire on grenades while out of grenades, you should punch. Fists were not visible when that happened.
- Bugfix: DERP would soft crash the game when checking line of fire.
- Today in "Matt is a fucking jackass": if a floor gets taken out under a debris actor, it will now start falling naturally rather than just resetting to the bottom. Fill the elevator on Map15 with pistol casings and enjoy!
- Added Graf's Feb 6 fastprojectile fix to HDBullet.
- More tweaks to shot patterns, widening them up a bit from the super-tight spreads from the last release.
- Scriptified all gun puffs.
- Re-implemented exit decals for penetrating bullets.
- Got rid of the old hd_jumpdrop reference in the manual and changed the Hunter protip to actually be about the Hunter not the Slayer.
- Beefed up frag explosion damage and converted grenade spoons to the new debris system.
- Added an extra, optional step in the cheapo "cube distance" calculator to multiply the result by the square root of 2 (predefined as a constant) where the line is obviously much more diagonal than orthogonal. A (7,7,0) vector should be about the same length as a (10,0,0) or (0,10,0).
- Added distant quake script that works on the same principle as the distant sound.
- Changed a bunch of things to multiplication instead of division.
- Switched the damage/crack calculation from vel.length() to the new crude-cross-cube thing, exchanging precision for not having to call all those square roots every tic.
- Bullets in the sky now only update position every tic.
- New blood and wall-penetration effects. Now all canonical BLUD and PUFF sprites are used in HD.
- New explosion system! A single A_Blast() can in one iterator block handle concussion, fragmentation, thrust (which must be explicit), immolation and corpse-gibbing.
- Some of the barrel explosions ported over to the new system. Flaming barrels are yet to be done. I keep getting a "tried to read from address zero" at random on map23 and performance is significantly worse than in the pre-ZScript release. Yay.
February 6, 2017:
- Bugfix: Bullet deceleration accelerated projectiles with a mass over 100.
- Bugfix: Forgot to set -noteleport on rockets.
- Bugfix: Some gun-wielding monsters' gun smoke was spawning too far ahead due to the new bullet code. The DERP's shots might still have been upside down.
- Tweaked the tree sizes.
- Launched grenades now only spawn explosions while inside the real sector and not "in the sky".
- All buckshot projectiles are now scriptified.
- Frag grenades scriptified! (Just the grenades themselves, no weapons yet...) the rolling behaviour is slightly different but the good news is that you can throw them into the sky just like launched grenades and bullets. Warning: you can end up with a lot of fragments in the air at a time spamming grenades in an outdoor area.
- Frag grenades also have a special explosion function now. It is sensitve to how much of your profile is exposed to the blast. It is also random and finicky as fuck.
- Bullets (including rockets, etc.) now forget their target after the first tic (but remember them again immediately before damaging anything they hit), allowing you to kill yourself by shooting straight up and getting hit by the bullets as they come back down. They are properly counted as suicides in deathmatch, but the obituary will be the normal one naming you as both victim and killer. Also, this means friendly fire is on at all distances that take more than 1 tic for the bullet to travel.
- Bullets now only spawn noisemakers within 256 units of a player who is not the shooter.
- You can no longer hurt people with hot Liberator brass. It never really worked anyway.
- Reverting the blood to use the canonical Doom sprites for the time being.
January 30, 2017:
- Reinstated the "bouncy" select/deselect animations I had at one point.
- Monsters and "natural" decorations that vary in size now also vary in their actual hitbox size.
- Dust/wall chunks are now randomly set to +wallsprite.
- Streamlined "WallChunker" actor (formerly "GrenadeWallChunker") since it is used in multiple contexts.
- Reduced 4mm mass from 70 to 35 and buckshot from 80 to 40 to better reflect their canonical lore size.
- Tweaked some bullet damage calculations and simplified some code thanks to the length() function.
- New rocket feature: if you're right on target when you shoot, the rocket locks on to your target! This only works with targets more than 512 map units away.
January 23, 2017:
Human-sized and smaller targets now change direction if punched, making your fist much more effective (but still usually a terrible idea). Warp to Map31, type IDDQD and give it a try!
- Bugfix: Fragments are deliberately biased towards shooting up if the source grenade is close to the floor, but shooting down if the source is close to the ceiling. This was reversed with the pitch harmonization back in December and I never got around to fixing it until now.
- Got rid of the D1/D2 filters. To play HD on Doom 1 without the Doom 2 resources you'll need to load the new hdd1p.pk7 file after HD.
- Started on some ZScript! Player viewbob now changes depending on whether you're running, sprinting, walking, crawling or stunned.
- Yuge overhaul of the bullet code, for making unprecedented carnage great again, etc.:
- Bullets no longer disappear into the sky. Instead, if you shoot up into the sky, they can actually come back down! (Eventually, and assuming they don't drift out of the sky sector...) Brontornis and launched grenades (rocket and not) are also affected.
- Damage is now unified, except for grenade fragments. This may change the balance of some weapons significantly. To wit: shit hits hard.
January 9, 2017:
- Bugfix: Dropped ZM66s should still start out chambered, of course!
- Added a replacer for SSG map item in the D1 filter.
January 2, 2017:
- May your pain, suffering, death and misery of the coming year be unexpectedly mitigated in small but significant ways! HD is now designed for GZDoom 2.3.0 release. Let me know if anything is still shooting, ejecting, etc. anything with an "upside-down" pitch or direction.
- Bugfix: BFG distant sound was apparently fading out too fast?
- Bugfix: Top of big weapons table on the range was as dark as underneath it, putting all the big weapons under an unnatural ominous shadow.
- Bugfix: Female mugshot godmode face was blue instead of transparent in the upper left corner.
- Finally got around to implementing the female fist sprites. Fist is now only invisible and abstract if you choose a nonbinary gender. Thanks to Courtney Rice from Valkyrie Western Martial Arts Assembly for lending a hand.
- Several January updates from 2016 were mislabeled as 2015. Fixed while moving to new page.
(Old updates from 2016 available here.)
(Old updates from 2015 available here.)
(Old updates from 2014 available here.)
(Old updates from 2013 available here.)
(Old updates from 2012-13 available here.)
(Old updates from 2009-11 available here.)
(Old updates from 2007-8 available here.)
See the thread on the ZDoom forums
E-mail the author