SAABOTR





I acquired my SPG in the spring of 1999.  The car was a stock 1988 Saab 900 Turbo SPG.  For a full explanation of what an SPG is, see Larry West's excellent Saab Turbo pages.

In modifying the car, the philosophy has been to build a true driver's car.  Read more about the philosophy here.

Also see my thoughts and nomenclature proposal on modifying older LH controled Saabs here.

The car was a US specification car, originally destined for the California market.  After a few owners there, it made its way to Park City, Utah.  I purchased the car from the owner in Park City, which entailed me flying down to Salt Lake City and driving the car up.  While there are SPGs in Edmonton, there aren't that many.  Budget and the desire for a rust free shell sent me down there.  There were many paperwork hoops through which I had to jump to import the car, but it was do-able.

From the time I first acquired the car to the fall of 2001, I proceeded with many bolt on modifications.  Most of these are well documented elsewhere, see especially Justin Van Abrahams' site, TwinSaabs and Jouko's site (others listed on the Links page).  These bolt on modifications, included the usual stuff:  modified APC, bigger injectors, modifying the vacuum advance unit, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, bigger injectors, 3" exhaust and downpipe, etc.

In the summer of 2001, I swapped in a 'built' engine, with custom forged JE pistons, balanced crank and rods, etc.  I must admit, it was quite frustrating to tune within the limits of the stock Bosch LH2.2 fuel injection system.  The bolt on mods all worked to a fashion, but I wanted more power, more consistently.

I was out tuning some 30# injectors in October 2001 when I first heard this rattle from the engine bay.  After a month of searching for what it was, having the valve cover off numerous times suspecting lifters or timing chain, I took the head off.  My engine builder, Larry Brown of BeL Engine Services came by and noticed some scoring on one of the cylinder walls.  He didn't like what he saw, and told me to have the entire engine out.  After the December exams, I had the engine out and brought it over to Larry.  After removing the piston and rod, if I remember right it was #1, he tapped the wristpin out of the piston.  It came out in two pieces.  Not good.

Thus began the saga of redoing everything.  But this time I would do it right and address the two largest weakness of the c900 design, its electronic fuel injection and transmission.



Engine

Engine Management

Front Mounted Intercooler and Induction

Chassis

Exterior

Interior

Tranny


All the new stuff!