CONCEPT BY RICHARD TOOGOOD AND RON BLOND
HOW TO USE THIS APPLET
The slider area
The sliders change parameters h, k, a and b in the quadratic relation.
- Drag a slider to change the value of a parameter.
- The left and right arrow keys can be used to change the selected parameter [light blue].
- The up and down arrow keys can be used to increase or decrease the selected parameter. (Use this feature for fine adjustments.)
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Drag a parameter scale to "move" it. (ie. Change the range but maintain the scale "length".)
- Drag towards or away from a parameter thumb to "re-scale" the scale.
- Select the corresponding parameter button to enter a value for a parameter.
The graph area
- Drag the center of the graph to move it in the coordinate system.
- Drag a vertex or co-vertex of the graph to change parameters a or b.
- Drag a vertex or co-vertex of the rectangle to change parameters a and b.
- Click and drag any other location to see the coordinates of the cursor and locations along the graph of the relation.
- Move the cursor into the equation area to see which type of relation (horizontal or vertical) is being displayed.
- THE SHIFT KEY : Click and drag in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system.
- THE CONTROL KEY : Click and drag in the graph area towards or away from the origin to change the x and y axis scale.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.
GO TO PREVIOUS PAGE