CONCEPT BY JACK EDWARDS, COLIN GARNHAM, HUGH SANDERS and RON BLOND
OPEN THE LINK BELOW FOR A SET OF INSTRUCTIONS WHICH WILL GUIDE YOU THROUGH THREE EXAMPLES USING THE APPLET
HOW TO USE THIS APPLET
The control area
The sliders change the parameters "n" and "N" in a binomial experiment. "n" is the number of trials within an experiment. "N" is the number of times the experiment is performed.
- Drag a slider to change the value of a parameter.
- The left and right arrow keys can be used to change the selected parameter [light blue].
- The up and down arrow keys can be used to increase or decrease the selected parameter. (Use this feature for fine adjustments.)
- If the arrow keys don't respond, click the cursor in the applet frame then try again.
- Drag a parameter scale to "move" it. (ie. Change the range but maintain the scale "length".)
- Select the corresponding parameter button to enter a value for a parameter.
- Select "ADJUSTABLE SCALES" to change the position or scale of the histogram (See notes below).
- Select "SMALL n SCALES" to display all of the relevant data on the smallest horizontal interval.
- Select "LARGE n SCALES" to display all of the data on an interval containing the endpoints of "zero" and "n".
The graph area (when "ADJUSTABLE SCALES" is selected).
- THE SHIFT KEY : Click and drag horizontally in the graph area to move the entire coordinate system horizontally.
- THE CONTROL KEY : Click and drag in the graph area towards or away from the :
- horizontal scale to change the vertical scale about the horizontal axis.
- highest location of the "bell"-curve to change the horizontal scale about the horizontal "center" of the curve.
- Use the "GRAPH LINES" button to graph lines through the highlighted points ( ).
- Use the "GRAPH SEGMENTS" button to graph line segments with the highlighted points ( ) as endpoints.
- Use the "RESET" button to restore the applet to the initial state.
RETURN TO MAIN PAGE