After World War II, the RCMP began rebuilding its Marine Service. Through arrangements with the War Assets Corporation a fleet of ships comprised of three classifications were obtained.The first classification was the backbone of the new fleet and were known as the "Bangor Class Minesweeper", capable of great endurance and able to withstand severe weather. These were known in the RCMP as the "Commissioner" Class Patrol Ship. Eight of these Ships were allocated to the Force in 1945 for patrol duties on the east coast but only 3 actually served as RCMP Patrol Ships.
The second classification was the Formal class motor launch, re-designated as the "Fort" class, after Forts prominent in RCMP history.
The third classification were the smaller craft, former harbour defence patrol boats, designated in the Force as "Detachment" class patrol boats, and named for historic detachments of the Force.
After 1969 and the disbandment of the RCMP Marine Division, the RCMP formed Divisional Marine Programs purchasing the smaller class of Patrol Vessel. Although the newer Class of Patrol Vessel of the early 1970's were not as significant in size as their predecessors, they too became known as "Commissioner Class" Patrol Fleet. These Patrol Vessel Operations fell under the management and control of the Divisional Criminal Operations Branch for both the East and West Coasts.
(please refer to the detailed History of the RCMP Marine Service , including a list of the Marine Service Patrol Boats, from Confederation to 2007 = 140 years).
POST WORLD WAR II PATROL VESSELS
Patrol Vessel "Wood" (MP 17)
Largest Ship built for and operated by the R.C.M.P.
RCMP Commissioner Class Ship named after Stuart Taylor Wood, C.M.G.; was designed by Naval Architects Milne, Gilmore and German of Montreal in collaboration with RCMP Marine technical personnel in Ottawa; built by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd.; 657 tonnes, an electrically welded steel hull with aluminum superstructure, twin screw diesel engine, 2660 BHP, speed capacity 16 kts, dimensions 178 x 38 x 7 feet. It was constructed by 1958 and launched October 22 of that year at Levis, Quebec and named "Wood". It was the first replacement of the ex-naval Bangor class minesweepers taken over by the RCMP at the end of World War II.
In 1971, she was transferred to Transport Canada (now the Canadian Coast Guard) as an off-shore search and rescue cutter and re-named the "Daring".
The bell from the "Wood" was placed on display in 1973 for the RCMP Officers Mess, Ottawa, Ontario.
Patrol Vessel "French" (MP 11)- 155 foot steel cruiser - Traveling at 16 knots.
RCMP Commissioner Class Ship named after Sir George Arthur French; built by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd., Lauzon, Quebec; 581 tonnes, twin screw diesel engine, 2000 BHP, speed capacity 16 kts, dimensions were 155.4 x 27.9 x 14.6 feet. This vessel, previously named the HMCS Transcona, was one of ten diesel powered Bangor class minesweepers built in Canada for the Royal Canadian Navy during the Second World War; launched at Sorel, Quebec on April 26, 1941; transferred to the Force on Sept. 1, 1945, renamed "French" on Sept. 10, 1945, and served the Force until 1960 when it was sold. The bell of this ship is held in the RCMP Heritage Center in Regina.
Patrol Vessel "Irvine" (MP 13)- 155 foot steel cruiser - Traveling at 16 knots.
RCMP Commissioner Class Ship named after Acheson Gosford Irvine; built by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd., 581 tonnes, twin screw diesel, 2000 BHP, speed capacity 16 kts, dimensions were 155.4 x 27.9 x 14.6 feet. This vessel, originally named HMCS Noranda, was another of the Bangor class minesweepers built for the Canadian navy; was transferred to the RCMP on August 28, 1945; re-named "Irvine"; carried Wireless/ Radio Operators and was fitted with C.W./M.C.W. Equipment post-World War II.; was sold by the Force in 1962 and converted to a yacht, re-named Miriana; she sank at Montego Bay, Jamaica in May, 1971.
Patrol Vessel "MacBrien" (MP 14)- 155 foot steel cruiser - Traveling at 16 knots.
RCMP Commissioner Class Ship named after Sir James Howden MacBrien, K.C.B., C.M.G., D.S.O.; built by Davie Shipbuilding Ltd., 581 tonnes, twin screw diesel engine, 2000 BHP, speed capacity 16 kts, dimensions were 155.4 x 27.9 x 14.6 feet. This vessel, originally named HMCS Trois-Rivières, was another of the Bangor class minesweepers built during the Second World War; assigned to the RCMP on August 3, 1945 and renamed "MacBrien"; carried Wireless/ Radio Operators, and was fitted with C.W./M.C.W. Equipment post-World War II; was sold for scrap in 1960.
OTHER RCMP PATROL VESSELS OF MARITIME HISTORY
Fort Steele - 188 feet
Margaret - 182.4 feet (purchased and built in England for Canadian government in 1914, disposal F.R. Zimmerman Brooklyn, N.Y., 1932).
Fleurdelis - 172 feet (Purchase date unknown, disposal CADC, 1945).
Preventor - 164.8 feet (built 1929, Disposed of 1938)
MacLeod - 162 feet (formerly HMCS Brockville). Purchased from War Assets 1945. Transferred to CADS 1950.
Mackenzie - 138 feet
Conestoga - 136 feet (formerly Pathfinder - purchased from James Playfair, Midland, Ontario Nov. 1927. Built 1896 at Racine, Wisconsin. Disposal sold to Georgian Bay Tourist Co. of Micland, Ontario 1933).
Ulna - 125 feet (built in Southampton, England, 1909 by Messrs. G.Summers & Co. Purchased from Margaree Steamship co. Ltd., Sidney, N.S. 1931. Sold to Canso Steamship Co. Ltd. Ferry Wharf Syney, NS, 1939).
Adversus - 117 feet (purchased Ditchburn Boats Ltd., Gravenhurst, Ont. 1931, Disposal - taken over by Royal Canadian Navy)
Bayhound - 114 feet (built 1910 NY, USA. Purchased from Sir Charles Gordon in 1927 by Dept. Ntl. Revenue. Disposal: sold to Pictou Foundry and Machine Co. Ltd., Pictou, NS, 1938.)
Fort Pitt - 112 ft. (1945-1959)
Fort Walsh - 112 ft. (1945-1959)
Blue Heron - 92 feet (formerly HMCS Blue Heron) Purchase from Royal Canadian Navy (RCN) 1956; disposal - transfer back to RCN 1968.
McClellan - 41 foot fibreglass - last based on the West Coast.
Harvison - 41 foot fibreglass - last based on the West Coast.
Manyberries - 41 foot fibreglass - based on the West Coast and now conducting Fishery Patrol work on Vancouver Island.
Dufferin - 41 foot fibreglass - last based on the West Coast.
Fort McLeod - 41 foot fibreglass - last based on the East (Labrador) Coast.
Advance (MP 59) - 37 foot fibreglass - last based on the West Coast.
Click ICON to Email Webmaster
Note: Information on the page is provided as a public service but we make no warranty as to completeness or accuracy. We welcome comments, suggestions and ideas on how we might expand and improve this service. Due to the nature of our business, and the inherent lack of security on the Internet, we do not recommend the sending of any kind of sensitive information, or any information relating to ongoing investigations. Sensitive matters should be handled by phone or by attending in person to your local police office.
Copyright © 2007 RCMP West Coast Marine Service