Celebrate the Baggins' Birthday!
September 22, 2002You are invited to join other Calgary and Area Ringers at a Tolkien-themed end-of-summer picnic... potluck... thing.
11am to 5pm
North on 45th St. S.W. to Spruce Drive.
Map of Edworthy Park available here.
(Site marked in red. It is a large image, and may take time to load. Reducing the size merely obliterated details.)
Site details: 2 barbeques, 1 fire pit, 10 tables, no shelter. (Depending on the weather, umbrellas or blankets may be in order, or sunglasses and sunblock if we're lucky.) Washrooms available nearby, playground is within walking distance.
Costumes are optional, but encouraged.
Given the time of year, we suggest you take care to dress accordingly.
This is an entirely volunteer-run event, and as such, a "donation" of $5/adult to offset site booking and related costs would be appreciated (made at the picnic, not in advance).
A Good, Old-Fashioned Potluck.
Food will be provided through the usual potluck system. Please contact Galadriel (remove NOSPAM from the address) to sign up. Remember that the site is outdoors, so the only methods of warming/cooking food are the barbeques.
Suggestions for what to bring:
- Beverages (non-alcoholic only, please)
- Buns & Butter
- Cold-cuts/Sandwich fixings
- Fruit/Vegetable Platters
- Various Salads (Fruit/Vegetable/Potato/etc.)
- Paper/plastic plates/cutlery/cups
- Or let your imagination guide you.
Hotdogs and buns will be provided on a first come, first serve basis.
- Be prepared to participate! Mark Nguyen, co-founder of Anime Alberta, will be hosting a round of Tolkien/fantasy-themed improv games. Audience participation is mandatory!
- Brush up on your Middle-earth history! How much do you know about Tolkien? What about the movie? We'll have movie and book-based trivia games, with prizes for the winners.
- Parody is the sincerest form of flattery... or something like that. Settle in for readings from different comedic works based on Tolkien. (Warning: Some content may not be suitable for all audiences.)
- Hey, look! Swords! Tentatively, we'll have volunteers from a local medieval recreation group coming who will whack each other over the head with heavy sticks for our enjoyment.
- What would a Hobbit Birthday be without giveaways? All attendees who participate in the potluck and/or contribute funds to help cover costs will be entered in a draw for various Tolkien-related prizes.
All Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves, Humans, Wizards (and even Orcs) are welcome to join us!While spur-of-the-moment drop-ins are more than welcome, if you plan to come, please let us know so we can factor you into the count.
For more information or to sign up for the potluck, please contact Galadriel. (Remove "NOSPAM" from the address.)
Picnic put on by members of Anime Alberta (go figure!), local artists/writers group -- the Bochi-Ki, and a few insane Calgary Ringers.
This page last updated: September 18, 2002