Called Bytown until 1855 after Colonel John By (1781-1836)
of the Royal Engineers, to whom the British government entrusted
the construction of the Rideau Canal. Derived from the
Algonquin term adawe, "to trade", the name given
to the tribe which controlled the trade of the river.
The name was applied first to the river.
The French form is Outaouais.
Newfoundland: Named " New Found Luanda " by King Henry VII, it was discovered by the Italian sailor John Cabot (originally known as Giovanni Caboto), who captained English expeditions to the Canadian coast in 1497 and 1498.
Labrador: There remains an element of uncertainty, but most authorities credit the origin of the name Labrador to Joćo Fernandes a Portuguese explorer and lavrador, or "farmer", in the Azores.
Halifax: Founded June 21, 1749, and named for George Montagu Dunk,
Earl of Halifax (1716-71), then President of the Board of Trade.
Became the capital of Nova Scotia on July 14, 1749.
Nova Scotia: The Latin form of New Scotland.
Fredericton: Assigned by order-in-council, February 22, 1785 -
"a town at St. Anne's Point, on the River Saint John, to be
called Fredericktown after His Royal Highness Prince Frederick,
Bishop of Osnaburg". The "k" and "w" were dropped shortly
New Brunswick: Was named in 1784 in honour of the reigning Monarch, King George II was also the Duke of Brunswick.
Charlottetown: Listed as Charlotte Town on the Holland Survey map of 1765,
the city was named for Queen Charlotte, (1744-1818), the
consort of King George III. Incorporated as a town in 1855 and
as a city in 1875.
Prince Edward Island: Was named in 1799 after a son of King George III, Prince Edward who was commander in chief of British North America at the time.
Quebec: Derived from the Amerindian word kebek,
indicating a strait or channel that narrows. The name was
applied first to the region of the modern city and the word is
of undoubted Algonquin origin. Early spellings: Quebecq
(Levasseur, 1601); Kébec (Lescarbot, 1609); Quebec (Champlain,
Champlain wrote of the location in 1632: "It...is a strait of the
river, so called by the Indians" - a reference to the Algonquin
word for "narrow passage" or "strait" to indicate the
narrowing of the river at Cape Diamond. The term is common to
the Algonquin, Cree, and Micmac languages and signifies the same
in each dialect.
Quebec: Was named in 1763, after the Algonquin word for narrow passage.
Toronto: Details surrounding exact origin are uncertain. For many years it was thought to stem from a Huron word translated as "a place of meeting"; however, recent scholarship indicates that it may be of Mohawk origin. The Mohawk descriptive phrase tkaronto was used to indicate the fishing weirs located at The Narrows near present day Orillia. Literally translated as "where there are trees standing in the water", the name was noted by Champlain in 1615.
Over time it was to move 125 kilometres southward to the site of the city of Toronto (Rayburn, 1994). Listed as Tarantou (Sanson, 1656); in 1793 Governor John Graves Simcoe moved the capital from Newark (Niagara) to Toronto Bay and renamed it York. In 1834 the city was incorporated as Toronto.
Contemporary Metropolitan Toronto comprises the cities of Toronto, North
York, Scarborough, York, Etobicoke and the borough of East York.
Ontario: Is of Native origin from the Huron words, "onitari" for lake and "io" for beautiful; and the Iroquoian word "kanadario" for sparkling water. It appeared in 1641 and was applied to the province in 1867.
Winnipeg: This name is from the Cree Winnipi and may be
freely translated as "dirty water" or "murky water".
The lake was designated as Sea Lake by Thompson in 1816.
Metropolitan Winnipeg, an amalgamation of neighbouring
municipalities, was created November 1, 1960, and reorganized as
the city of Winnipeg, January 1, 1972.
Manitoba: Comes from Manitou bou, which in Cree means, " narrows of the Great Spirit ".
Regina: Assigned August 23, 1882, by the Governor General, the Marquess
of Lorne (1845-1914), in honour of his wife's mother,
Queen Victoria. Originally called Pile O'Bones.
Saskatchewan: Was derived from the Cree name for the Saskatchewan River, "Ksiskatchewananisipi" which means "swift flowing river".
Edmonton: Name taken from Fort Edmonton, built in 1795 farther
down the North Saskatchewan River than the present city. The fort was
destroyed in 1807, but was relocated within the site of the
present city limits by the Hudson's Bay Company some time
before 1819. The fort is reputed to have been named by William
Tomison for Edmonton, now part of metropolitan London, England, in
honour of the birthplace of John Peter Pruden, a clerk of
the Hudson's Bay Company.
Alberta: Was named in honour of Queen Victoria's fourth daughter, Princess Louise Caroline Alberta, in 1882.
Victoria: First known as Fort Victoria, the city, like the numerous
other locations of the same name, commemorates Queen Victoria
(1819-1900). The name was chosen by the Council of the
Northern Department (Hudson's Bay Company) at Fort Garry,
June 10, 1843.
British Columbia: Was the name of Queen Victoria chose for the colony in 1858 ( it was originally known as New Caledonia in the North and Columbia in the South).
Iqaluit: Located at the head of Frobisher Bay, this town (1980) was established in
1949 as Frobisher Bay, when the Hudson's Bay Company moved its post
here from a site 70 km southeast. It became a municipal hamlet in 1971 and
a village three years later. In December 1984 its residents voted 310 to
213 to rename the place Iqaluit, meaning "place of fish" in Inuktitut.
Nunavut: Was established in 1999, and it means "Our Land".
Yellowknife: The community was established following the discovery of gold in
1934. The name is derived from the Athapaskan band of
Amerindians, who possessed tools made from yellow copper.
It is now capital of the Northwest Territories, and was incorporated
as a city on January 1, 1970.
Northwest Territories: Was known as the North-Western Territory 1870.
Whitehorse: The capital of Yukon since 1953. Named for the Whitehorse
Rapids which are said to resemble the mane of a white horse.
Yukon: Was named after the Loucheaux Native word for great river, "Yuchoo".
Source of all Names: Hamilton, William B. (1978): The Macmillan Book of Canadian place names, Macmillan of Canada, Toronto.
This page is part of Knight's Canadian Info Collection
Please visit our other pages
Site © by K.C.I.C. - A. Knight (Webmaster)