The Gimli Unitarian Church is an independent liberal
congregation, which has served the Gimli community
since 1891. The church meets primarily in the summer
months, drawing its congregation from local residents,
cottagers and visitors.
The church is a century old this year, having been built
during the summer of 1905 and dedicated in October of
that year. People often ask "what kind of church was this
before the Unitarians moved in" but the fact of the matter
is that is was built as a Unitarian church and has belonged
to Gimli's Unitarians ever since. From 1920 until the
1950s, the congregation was known as the First Federated
Church of Gimli, reflecting the merger of the Icelandic
Unitarian and New Theology movements. By the 1960s,
though, the church returned to its earlier identity,
although its legal name is still First Federated Church.
During the years when the Unitarian congregation was
largely inactive, the building was rented to the Gimli
Alliance Church and later the Gimli Christian Fellowship.
Many people are familiar with the church as home to the
"A-Spire Theatre," which is operated by the Gimli Theatre
Association. Both the theatre and its sponsoring
organization are entirely independent of the church,
although our congregation is delighted to host them as a
tenant. Indeed, the use of the church by a theatrical
company continues the tradition of the Menningarfélag,
or Cultural Society, which was sponsored by the church
during its earliest years.
The church is available for weddings conducted by our
minister or chaplain. All rentals for religious or political
purposes must be arranged through the church itself,
while other rentals are handled by the A-Spire Theatre.
Gimli Unitarian Church
Second Avenue at Centre Street
2009 Summer Services:
July 5 and 19
August 2, 16 and 30
For more information contact:
Rev. Stefan M. Jonasson
Winnipeg: (204) 889-4746
or Arnes: (204) 642-7928