- Design, code, test, document, market and support top-quality geospatial software/database applications.
- Join a diverse team of software engineers, database administrators, web designers and application specialists.
Software Developer (contractor)
GaiaStudio Software Inc, Richmond, BC
Since Jan 2013
- Designing and building GaiaStudio [gaiastudio.ca/mf], a cloud-based forest modelling and visualization tool.
- Analyzing BC's Vegetation Resource Inventory (VRI) forestry database.
- Using BC's Variable Density Yield Prediction (VDYP) software to model forest growth.
- Applying Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL-PostGIS database server and Google Earth API technologies.
- Conducting multiple ETL (extract, transform and load) operations on spatial data using combinations of GDAL-OGR (Geospatial Data Abstraction Library, an open source alternative to Safe FME) and my own tools.
- Writing the web pages [gaiastudio.ca/mf/php/about.php] and user manual [gaiastudio.ca/mf/php/help.php].
- Managing projects and tasks using Trello (a web-based project and task manager).
- Controlling code versions using TortoiseSVN.
Software Developer (contractor)
Softree Technical Systems, North Vancouver, BC
- Helped add LiDAR file reader and custom control to road design software.
- Used Visual C++, LAStools and MFC for same.
- Researched and set up new web seminar (MeetingBurner) procedures.
Geomatics Software Developer
Underhill Geomatics Ltd, Burnaby, BC
Sep 2003–Feb 2012
- Designed, implemented, tested and maintained multiple editions of Windows Copan [underhill.ca/land-surveyor-software] – CoGo (coordinate geometry) software.
Copan's functionality and ease-of-use helped staff become highly productive.
- Implemented Copan using Visual C/C++, Win32 API, ODA Teigha (software for CAD file processing) and Inno Setup.
- Wrote three versions of Copan user manual [e.g., underhill.ca/software/manuals/ugl/user_manual/Contents.html](ugl, pro, lite) from single source.
- Created manuals and newsletters using PPWizard (a good author-side preprocessor), HTML and CSS.
- Trained and supported staff on Copan at three branches, listening enthusiastically for users' needs.
- Marketed and supported Copan.
- Grew registered user base of land surveyors and civil engineers from zero to 9000, world-wide.
- Created Portable Application Descriptions (PADs).
- Promoted Copan on web directories and forums. [Search for "copan" at surveyorconnect.com.]
- Managed database of Copan users using MySQL and PHP.
- Searched for candidate technology for developing multi-platform or web-based versions of Copan.
- Decided on and began learning Python for same.
- Designed, implemented, tested and supported PJC – a database system for several thousand survey plans, jobs and clients.
PJC dramatically reduced staff time spent searching for plans and producing job labels and work orders.
- Implemented PJC using Visual Basic and Access.
- Helped design and test I-PJC [ipjc.underhill.ca], a web-based version of PJC.
- Supervised implementation of I-PJC.
- Edited and maintained company database and web site [underhill.ca] of showcase projects, services and software.
- Used MySQL, PHP, HTML and CSS for same.
- Marketed the web site, boosting the PageRank of most pages from zero to 3 or 4.
- Recruited unpaid IT and survey interns, saving the company wages.
Technical Geography / GIS Instructor (various contracts)
Various institutions/locations, BC
PhD in Geography
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC
MSc in Geomatics Engineering
University of Calgary, Alberta
Dipl (2/3 complete) in Computer Science & Technology
Langara College, Vancouver, BC
I work with Martin on the development of a prototype for GaiaStudio Software. He is a quick learner of new technologies, rapidly following the project's complicated architecture, and works independently while innovating and providing proactive suggestions to our team. There are employees that need to be managed and there are those that help managers push projects forward. I always feel comfortable relying on Martin to push the team forward.
Michael Gerzon, Project Manager, GaiaStudio Software.
Martin is a highly capable individual, with a broad background in geomatics, software development, database management, web development, SEO, and education. This gives him a unique perspective in project and office process optimization. There is little in these fields that Martin does not excel at.
Chris Cryderman, Partner, UGL.
The [Copan] program is very effective and user friendly. I had been using another product for years but your program is more intuitive and user friendly. I was able to start using Copan without even reading the instructions. You answered my e-mail inquiry immediately and your competitors have never written back.
Rick Jones, Surveyor, Land Reports Co, West Hills, CA, USA