- Geographical software and databases.
- Geomatics tools and applications.
- Developing ERPERP (enterprise resource planning) software.
- Developing geomatics software, e.g., CoGoCoGo (coordinate geometry) tools and web-based forest GISGIS (geographic information system).
- Teaching surveying, cartography and GIS.
- Designing geographic and other databases.
- Writing and editing technical documents.
- Marketing companies and products via web.
- Surveying land and calculating spatial data.
- Design, code, test, document, market and support top-quality software.
- Design and build high-quality geographic databases, maps and reports.
- Join a diverse, agile team of software engineers, database administrators, web technologists, business analysts, and application specialists.
- C. C++. Win32 API. Teigha.
- VBAVBA (Visual Basic for Applications).
- KML. Google Earth API.
- PostGIS. PostgreSQL. MySQL.
- MS Access. MS Excel.
- Inno Setup. Trello.
- Drawing DFDsDFDs (data flow diagrams).
- Drawing ERDsERDs (entity-relationship diagrams).
- Data ETLETL (extract, transform and load).
- Delivering technical presentations.
- Building GUIsGUIs (graphical user interfaces).
- Detecting and correcting errors/inconsistencies.
- Classifying and relating things and concepts.
- Refactoring code.
- Optimizing pages for humans and robots.
- Creating PADPAD (Portable Application Description) files.
- Requirements analysis.
- Managing projects and tasks.
- Writing and editing technical documents.
- Procedural and data abstraction.
- Marketing software.
- Cadastral DB compilation.
- Calculating CoGo.
- Field surveying.
- Spatial reference systems.
- Map projections.
- Georeferencing and geocoding.
- Cartographic design.
- Surveying instruments.
- Navigation systems.
- DTMDTM (digital terrain modelling).
- Highway/corridor design.
- Cadastre and land registration.
- Least-squares adjustment and analysis.
- Software development life cycles.
- CADCAD (compute-aided drafting or design).
- analytical and rational
- highly detail-oriented
- friendly and witty
- extremely flexible
- aims for personal and corporate excellence
- quickly learns new skills
Intel of CanadaIntel of Canada (maker of solid-state drives), Vancouver, BC
Jan 2015–Apr 2016
- Designed and built an ERPERP (enterprise resource planning) database application system.
- Used MS Access, VBAVBA (Visual Basic for Applications), MS Excel, MS OneNote, and Python.
- Maintained both back-end and front-ends.
- Performed data ETLETL (extract, transform and load) operations.
- Wrote the user guide and trained managers.
- Tracked engineers and projects and related department, site, assignment, task, activity and skills data.
LandSure SystemsLandSure Systems (subsidiary of Land Title & Survey Authority of BC), Vancouver, BC
Jun 2014–Nov 2014
- Reviewed the design for ParcelMap BCParcelMap BC (PMBC: a single, complete map of active land parcels in BC) to ensure contractor's solution met business requirements.
- Worked collaboratively with the PMBC build contractor, MDA, to ensure solution was fit for business.
- Educated staff and build contractor on GIS concepts via a series of PowerPoint presentations.
- Organized meetings via Outlook and GotoMeeting.
GaiaStudio SoftwareGaiaStudio Software (small start-up), Richmond, BC
Jan 2013–Apr 2014
- Designed and built a cloud-based forest modelling and visualization tool called GaiaStudioGaiaStudio [Login: members.shaw.ca/
- Analyzed BC's Vegetation Resource Inventory (VRI) forestry database.
- Developed and maintained the data dictionary.
- Used BC's Variable Density Yield Prediction (VDYP) software to model forest growth.
- Applied PostGIS database server and Google Earth API technology.
- Conducted ETL operations on spatial data using combinations of GDAL/OGR and own tools.
- Wrote the company web pagecompany web page [About GaiaStudio: members.shaw.ca/
geomatics.developer/and user manualuser manual [Using GaiaStudio: members.shaw.ca/ gaia/htm/about] geomatics.developer/. gaia/htm/help]
- Managed projects and tasks using Trello.
- Controlled code versions using TortoiseSVN.
Softree Technical SystemsSoftree Technical Systems (civil engineering software firm), North Vancouver, BC
- Helped add LiDAR (laser scan) file reader and custom control to road design software.
- Used Visual C++, LAStools and MFC for same.
- Researched and set up new web seminar (MeetingBurner) procedures.
Underhill Geomatics LtdUnderhill Geomatics Ltd (land surveyors), Burnaby, BC
Sep 2003–Feb 2012
- Designed, implemented, tested and maintained multiple editions of Windows Copan – powerful CoGo software. Copan's functionality and ease-of-use ensured staff became highly productive.
- Implemented Copan using Visual C/C++, Win32 API, ODA Teigha and Inno Setup.
- Wrote three versions of user manual – ugl, pro, lite –[e.g., underhill.ca/
software/manuals/from single source. ugl/user_manual/ Contents.html]
- Created manuals and newsletters using PPWizardPPWizard (an author-side preprocessor), HTML and CSS.
- Trained and supported staff on Copan at three branches, listening enthusiastically for users' needs.
- Marketed and supported Copan.
- Grew registered user base of land surveyors and civil engineers from zero to 9000, world-wide.
- Created PADPAD (Portable Application Description) files.
- Promoted Copan on web directories and forums. [Search for "copan" at surveyorconnect.com.]
- Managed database of Copan users using MySQL and PHP.
- Sampled customers via QuestionPro.
- Designed, implemented, tested and supported PJC – a database system for several thousand survey plans, jobs and clients. PJC dramatically reduced staff time spent searching for plans and producing job labels and work orders.
- Implemented PJC using Visual Basic and Access.
- Helped design and test I-PJC [ipjc.underhill.ca], a web-based version of PJC.
- Supervised implementation of I-PJC.
- Edited and maintained company database and web siteweb site [underhill.ca] of showcase projects, services and software.
- Used MySQL, PHP, HTML and CSS for same.
- Marketed the web site, boosting the PageRank of most pages from 0 to 3 or 4.
- Assisted with topographic, construction and boundary surveys.
- Interpreted cadastral plans and converted bearings and distances to grid coordinates.
- Adjusted cadastral data to GPSGPS (Global Positioning System) control, for integration into a regional GISGIS (geographic information system) and for a large field stake-out project.
- Recruited unpaid IT and survey interns, saving the company wages.
Technical Geography Instructor
Various institutions/locations, BC
PhD in Geography
Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC
- Designed a geographic semantic database model (available as a PDF scan or PostScript files).
- Doctor of Philosophy diplomaDoctor of Philosophy diploma [members.shaw.ca/
MSc in Geomatics Engineering
University of Calgary, Alberta
- Master of Science diplomaMaster of Science diploma [members.shaw.ca/
(Two-thirds of) Professional Computer Science & Technology Dip.
Langara College, Vancouver, BC
Martin has built a useful, easy-to-use enterprise resource planning tool for us. He is capable, independent and is able to work with ambiguous and changing requirements in a timely manner. He takes pride in his work, shows great initiative and is very conscientious. I think he would be a great asset to any IT project.
Ying Sue, Senior Systems Engineer, Intel of Canada.
I have worked with Martin on the development of a software prototype for GaiaStudio Software. He was a quick learner of new technologies and was able to rapidly follow the complicated architecture of the project. He was able to work independently while being able to innovate and provide proactive suggestions to our team. There are employees that need to be managed and there are those that help managers to push projects forward. I always felt comfortable relying on Martin to help push the team forward.
Michael Gerzon, Project Manager, GaiaStudio Software.
Martin is a highly capable individual, with a broad background in geomatics, software development, database management, web development, SEO, and education. This gives him a unique perspective in project and office process optimization. There is little in these fields that Martin does not excel at.
Chris Cryderman, Partner, Underhill Geomatics Ltd.
The [Copan] program is very effective and user friendly. I had been using another product for years but your program is more intuitive and user friendly. I was able to start using Copan without even reading the instructions. You answered my e-mail inquiry immediately and your competitors have never written back.
Rick Jones, Surveyor, Land Reports Co.