Chick Challenge 2
Here is my entry for 2001's Chick Challenge 2 event. It is "Metal Magic's C1047a Succubus". I've had this figure for a long time and thought this would be the perfect opportunity to work on it. Unfortunately I've got big problems with naked women and this one turned out to be a lot harder than I'd expected. My blending abilities are definitely sub-par although with some extra work I think I pulled it off. When I did the "in progress" pictures I still had to decide what to do with her wings. I'd thought something along the lines of yellow with red highlights, but as you can see, I've sort of changed my mind.
Unfortunately I don't have a scan of the primed back since I did the painting before I realized that I needed both sides to enter. Oops! Fortunately the gentleman running the Chick Challenge II decided to be nice to me and let me in anyways.
06-Nov-01 - Now that the figure is finished I am quite pleased with the final results. I decided to go with red wings with yellow highlights and that worked out quite well. When it came time to do the base I checked the colour-wheel and it said that violet and red went well with green and yellow so that's why the base is kinda green with yellow highlights. The little bushes (lichen) are just there so that it's not a bare base, although to my eyes it looks a bit like something underwater, I think because the lichens look a bit like corals.
I am very pleased with this figure. My skin blending turned out to not be
quite as bad as I had feared once I actually sat down and did it.
The eyes gave me no end of trouble though. The right eye was perfect the
first time I did it but the left eye got botched over and over and over again
until I finally gave up and left it as you see it. Fortunately I was using
extender with my paint so that I could clean it up fairly easily. I still
had to go in and re-touch up the face quite a bit because of it. I don't know
if I had this problem because of the sculpt or because I'm right handed and
just couldn't get in there the way I wanted to. I also had one oopsie on the
lower right back of the wing where I was happily dry-brushing away with the
yellow when I hit a damp patch in my brush and smeared yellow all over the
place instead of just on the highlights like it's supposed to. I cleaned it
up as best I could but it's still quite noticable. Of course if anyone asks
I'll just tell them that it's a lighting effect!