McLeod, M.M., 443570 Pte. Malcolm
LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY
Grave Reference: XXVII. B. 16.
Location: Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery is located 11.5 kilometres west of Ieper town centre, on the Boescheepseweg, a road leading from the N308 connecting Ieper to Poperinge. From Ieper town centre the Poperingseweg (N308) is reached via Elverdingsestraat, then over two small roundabouts in the J. Capronstraat. The Poperingseweg is a continuation of the J. Capronstraat and begins after a prominent railway level crossing. On reaching Poperinge, the N308 joins the left hand turning onto the R33, Poperinge ring road. The R33 ring continues to the left hand junction with the N38 Frans-Vlaanderenweg. 800 metres along the N38 lies the left hand turning onto Lenestraat. The next immediate right hand turning leads onto Boescheepseweg. The cemetery itself is located 1.5 kilometres along Boescheepseweg on the right hand side of the road. From Calais, take the motorway A16 signposted Dunkerque/Lille. At Dunkerque take the motorway signposted Lille/Ypres, the A25. Leave the motorway at Junction 13, the village of Steenvoorde. Follow the D948/N38 signposted Ieper/Poperinge. After approximately 8-10 kilometres Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery will be signposted off to the right.
The Burial information and cemetery plan resource is copyright the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.
The first one created, and the largest of the Books, is the First World War Book which contains 66,655 names. This book is followed by the Second World War Book which contains 44,893 names.
It was on July
1, 1917 that Prime Minister Sir Robert Borden dedicated a
site in the Centre Block of the Houses of Parliament. He
said the new structure would be a "memorial to the
debt of our forefathers and to the valour of those
Canadians who, in the Great War, fought for the liberties
of Canada, of the Empire, and of humanity." And so
it was two years later that the Prince of Wales laid the
corner stone of "The Tower of Victory and
Peace" as it was originally known. The intention was
for all the names of the Canadian soldiers to be engraved
on the walls of the chamber, but it was soon realized
that there would not be enough space on the walls to
contain more than 66,000 names. So began the process of
brainstorming for a solution, which came from Colonel A.
Fortesque Duguid, DSO, who is credited with suggesting
the idea for a Book of Remembrance. The plan was accepted
and minor alterations were made to the chamber to
accommodate the Books. The Prince of Wales returned on
August 3, 1927 to unveil the altar; a gift from the
British Government upon which the Book of The First World
War would rest.