This eye drawing tutorial was drawn in software but the steps are identical on real world media. ( pencil and paper ) I did it in software because the actual steps can be separated in 'layers' thereby giving a better indication of how much or how little effort goes into each stage which is more difficult to assess on a real world example. That was my thinking at the time.
1. I will be using this photo for reference- yes, it's my own eye!
2. Draw the outline of the eye first...LIGHTLY!
3. Fill in the basic shading of the eye ball- this is not too difficult- dark edges, middle tone center, dark pupil.
4. Now come those darker bits that go from the outer edge towards the pupil- this gives the eye texture.
5. After that it's time to start fleshing out the main forms of the eye- remember that it's round!
6. Some more definition and then start in with the eye lashes...
7. Start indicating the eye brow and more lashes...
8. Getting back to the mid-tones of the eye form...
9. Then finally getting down to the finishing touches...I admit that I'm not to good with hair...!
10. Get ready now...all the layers are getting added!
11. Do NOT forget to put a light in the eyes!
12. NEVER........EVER FORGET the LIGHT!
13. I'm real serious. Make the light up if you have to...
14. If you don't put a light in the eye it will look like a corpse!!!
15. Use an eraser to pull the highlight out of the eye if necessary...
16...if you foolishly forgot to reserve some eye white!