Vancouver Transgender Health Program
The Transgender Health Program was launched by Vancouver Coastal Health in June 2003 to bring together transgender people and loved ones, health care providers, health planners, and researchers to work on improving transgender health services in BC. We welcome anyone who has a transgender health question or concern. Their services are free, anonymous, and confidential.
RESOURCES:Trans-friendly Health Links Resources, Gender Dysphoria Transition Surgeries, Surgery, VGH, UBCH, LGH, RH, VCH, Vancouver Coastal Health, Vancouver General, Richmond, Lion's Gate, St Mary', UBC Hospital, BC, British Columbia, Canada, North West Van Shore health, Squamish, Whistler, Powell River and Bella Coola Health.
*Counselors & Therapist Associations & Directories*
Trans Alliance Society
TAS was founded several years ago as a province-wide coalition, with the aim of building connections between individuals and groups working on Trans issues. The purpose of TAS is to:
- The BC Association of Clinical Counselors was incorporated in 1988 with the principal goal of regulating the professional practice of clinical counselors in the province of British Columbia. Every member listed in the Private Practice Directory has met rigorous registration requirements at the Master's level of training.
- BC Association of Specialized Victim Assistance and Counseling Programs The BCASVACP coordinates initiatives for and supports programs across British Columbia: Community-Based Victim Assistance, Stopping the Violence Counseling Programs and Sexual Assault Centres providing a voice for community based service providers and for those who have been victimized by violence.
- BC Psychological Association has a map to find a psychologists by locations throughout British Columbia.
- The American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT) is the professional association for the field of marriage and family therapy. They represent the professional interests of more than 24,000 marriage and family therapists throughout the United States, Canada and abroad.
- provide varied forums and resources to assist in the personal development, growth, and contact of its members with the transgendered community
- promote knowledge and understanding of Trans culture in all its diversity
- build a sense of community through contact with other organizations or individuals sharing similar objectives
- working toward removing all forms of barriers that negatively impact the transgendered community
From 2000-2003 TAS functioned primarily as a conduit for information-sharing in the Lower Mainland and Victoria through its newsletter, website and news/discussion/advocacy email lists.
Vancouver Transsexual Allies
'Qmunity' formerly known as 'The LGBT Centre'
Qmunity Mission Statement: Qmunity values, celebrates, and transforms the lives of queer people by creating physical social and inclusive spaces; and empowering individuals and communities in BC through innovation, volunteerism, collaboration and professional resources.
Qmunity Vision: Qmunity is a leading provincial resource centre offering community services and programs that celebrate, support and enhance the diverse cultures of queer communities. We offer our resources in a welcoming, accessible, and safe space that is relevant to the communities we serve. Our services and programs support healthy and active living, provide leadership, increase awareness, advocate where needed, and promote arts and culture.
- To disseminate to the public, for the advancement of their education, information related to the interests and concerns of lesbian, gay, transgender and bisexual (queer) communities in British Columbia
- To maintain a library to make available to the public, for the advancement of their education, books and other writings related to the interests and concerns of gay and lesbian communities in British Columbia
- To maintain a service facility for the benefit of all members of the public
- To maintain a youth services program for lesbian, gay, transgender, bisexual and questioning youth, 25 years old and under, providing support, information and activities for the advancement of their education
- To maintain a telephone information and referral service for the benefit of all member of the public
- To preserve, enhance, and reflect the traditions and culture of the queer communities
- To provide programs and services that will support and enhance the public safety for queer communities
- To provide programs and services that will advance the public health and well being of queer communities
- To maintain services and programs for lesbian, gay, transgender bisexual, and questioning ageing and older individuals, providing support, information, activities and education
Transsexual and Crossdresser Support and Resources
A social, educational and support group for crossdressers based in Vancouver, BC
PFLAG Canada is a national voice that speaks for a more accepting Canadian society by providing support, education and resources on issues of sexual orientation and gender identity.
Egale Canada was founded in 1986 to advance equality for Canadian lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people and their families, across Canada. There work includes: carrying out political action to lobby for more equitable laws for LGBT people; intervening in legal cases that have an impact on human rights and equality; increasing public education and awareness by providing information to individuals, groups and media. Egale has over 3,300 members including people in each and every province and territory of Canada.
International Transsexual and Crossdresser Support and Resources
International Foundation for Gender Education
This is the most well known and respected organizations in the world. This organization produces the magazine ‘TRANSGENDER Tapestry’. Order it online or purchase it at 'Little Sisters'. They are a great resource for all. It has plenty of great links to organizations from all around the world. I also must admit they do throw some of the greatest bashes. I have also have had the great privilege of meeting some of the pioneers of this wonderful organization. Their mandate is to promoting the self-definition and free expression of individual gender identity.
The Transgender Law and Policy Institute. They are a non-profit organization dedicated to engaging in effective advocacy for transgender people in our society. The TLPI brings experts and advocates together to work on law and policy initiatives designed to advance transgender equality.